Stock Market Discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
babbtke
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:18 am

Too deep for the forum
Last edited by babbtke on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:34 am

Codeblue wrote:Image
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:46 am

I hope you have someone helping your art purchasing as well. Don't want to end up with too many backdoor (fake) pieces...
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?t=18568
That's what she said
charter
Art Expert

Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 am

I'm selling my entire collection of unsigned CYW in every color for a modest price!
mattkardish
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:51 pm

optimusGRRR wrote:
charter wrote:Not everyone has tens of thousands to invest in the S&P. I'm mostly a pessimist so I already think the stock market is largely rigged. The people with the most can have the biggest impact on everyone else. Warren Buffet can liquidate shares and cause a sell off. Computers trade and sell in milliseconds that only the wealthy have access to. Insider knowledge, etc. The only way the average investor will strike it rich is putting all chips in during the next crash. Otherwise, it's modest growth unless you have the rare crazy gamble like Netflix.
You can buy an S&P 500 ETF for $200.

Short term fluctuations in the market are beyond our control or apprehension.

Long term, owning the stocks will return around 8-10% per year. Fact, not opinion.
Closer to 6 or 7 but who's counting...and 2% of that 6 is dividends...tryin to create wealth here. The real way to get the big returns is to make the bigger bets on just a few stocks. But again, that's not for the average investor. Best bet is to just start your own company, that's where the real wealth comes from
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 am

mattkardish wrote:
optimusGRRR wrote:
charter wrote:Not everyone has tens of thousands to invest in the S&P. I'm mostly a pessimist so I already think the stock market is largely rigged. The people with the most can have the biggest impact on everyone else. Warren Buffet can liquidate shares and cause a sell off. Computers trade and sell in milliseconds that only the wealthy have access to. Insider knowledge, etc. The only way the average investor will strike it rich is putting all chips in during the next crash. Otherwise, it's modest growth unless you have the rare crazy gamble like Netflix.

Long term, owning the stocks will return around 8-10% per year. Fact, not opinion.
Closer to 6 or 7 but who's counting...and 2% of that 6 is dividends...tryin to create wealth here. The real way to get the big returns is to make the bigger bets on just a few stocks. But again, that's not for the average investor. Best bet is to just start your own company, that's where the real wealth comes from
Just flip Mondozzz yo.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:58 pm

see, the thing about NFLX is that it's down 25% in the last couple months, but still nearly up 100% over the last year...correction territory? who the drymount do these people think they are...stupid fudge. goddamn news headlines
RiotAct
EB Team

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm rich!!!!!

(insert NYSE trader having an orgasm here)
optimusGRRR
Art Expert

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:00 pm

mattkardish wrote:
optimusGRRR wrote:

You learn that during your 6 months experience? Teams of portfolio managers with MBAs and CFAs can't beat the S&P overtime. But you "make the big returns on a few stocks". Cool story.
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm

He's absolutely right. He's just leaving out the disclaimer that most of the time you get torched trying that technique.

Cool story.
That's what she said
mattkardish
Art Expert

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:36 am

It can be done, the research just better be right. The only hedge fund manager I've ever met in person has returned roughly 30% annualized returns net of fees to his clients, I'd say that's pretty good. Maybe I'm just biased, but that's a cool enough story for me. Since we are generalizing, "Teams of MBAs and CFAs" aren't going to take on that type of risk in their client portfolios, so oh well.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:46 am

For example, if you had put 10k to work at the cheapest NFLX has ever been, it would be worth 1.56mm today.

Obviously knowing the potential for NFLX back in 2002 would have been a shot in the dark; and to think you're going to experience similar growth going forward is silly.

But if you do your homework, and you're right, it can have massive payoffs. It's simply a matter of diligence.
That's what she said
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 am

finneganm wrote:For example, if you had put 10k to work at the cheapest NFLX has ever been, it would be worth 1.56mm today.

Obviously knowing the potential for NFLX back in 2002 would have been a shot in the dark; and to think you're going to experience similar growth going forward is silly.

But if you do your homework, and you're right, it can have massive payoffs. It's simply a matter of diligence.
Or invested $50 in Bitcoin when it was at $3 for a dollar when I heard about it..... Talk about a big time Oof. That and wanting to buy Netflix at $19 in college but having no money are my two biggest whiffs.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 am

Don't get me wrong, Optimus is right in that 99% of people should have a fairly diversified portfolio, but to be dismissive about a factual comment seems off to me. If you want to play the single name game, it helps to have a very strong conviction, and to know what you're doing.
That's what she said
dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:19 pm

What we need in this thread, is the "new" netflix. Any college kids out there, who know what the next big thing is? is the walkman going to return and overthrow the ipod? I for one, and lame and clueless.