Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby piper27 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:27 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
piper27 wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:bought my house 4 years ago for under 700K, twice the size and updated

MF baller

Fortunate yes, baller no.... Ha wish, that is a normal house price in the Bay Area now a-days :) we may get paid a bit more out here but cost of living is outrageous

now that makes sense you're out there. You could have a McMansion here in Mn for that price with acreage too!
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby chevyav53 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

soam24 wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:For those in other states, see a lot of West Coasters, probably Californian's moving in? Apparently the state is losing a lot of the population and wondering how much of the impact in your areas is due to folks selling here and moving with cash in hand. Have a sister-in-law in Oregon and when we go visit them you will see some houses for sale with a No-Californians sign, cracks me up, but understandable as it over inflates the market.

You people :P Need to learn how to drive here in CO when we have "bad" driving conditions. I use the term bad loosely as being a NY transplant I've yet to see anything that I would classify as bad.

Ha, never thought of that. When it rains here people lose it. I'ls as if the end of days is upon us, so frustrating how bad the driving gets, I can only imagine in places where it snows. :lol:
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby spunkmonkey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

chevyav53 wrote:For those in other states, see a lot of West Coasters, probably Californian's moving in? Apparently the state is losing a lot of the population and wondering how much of the impact in your areas is due to folks selling here and moving with cash in hand. Have a sister-in-law in Oregon and when we go visit them you will see some houses for sale with a No-Californians sign, cracks me up, but understandable as it over inflates the market.

There are quite a few CA transplants here in Seattle (hell, we moved here from San Francisco in 2004 so we could afford a house/start a family). Since Seattle is crazy now too, I think a lot of people just stop in Oregon.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Have a buddy who's a baller from Nor*Cal who just moved to a Boise suburb. Taxes and dem damn liberal policies were his main reasons. Definitely getting a lot more bang for his buck.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby rubberneck on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Baker wrote:
soam24 wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Luls. Bay Area fudge is crazy. My pops bought his spot in San Rafael in like 2002 for $500k, and just sold for $1.2. It’s a nice place, but not that nice.

I know, crazy part is if you sell you almost have to leave the state. Not like the old days when you could sell and upgrade to the next or keep to rent out the old one..... have to wonder if history is repeating itself with another bubble or if this will last.

Same with CO here. Our house has grown in value a lot but if you sell.. then what? Rebuy in the same market at inflated pricing?

Same in Nashville. We have been in our place less than 3 years and the value has gone up about 80k. If we were to consider selling it, we would end up buying way outside of nashville otherwise you are looking at crazy pricing near the city.

If we hadn't bought properties back in Melbourne before we moved over to Houston, we could never afford to move back into the CBD. Australia and particularly the larger cities have property inflation that is still quite strong. The livability factor, Chinese investment and a strong economy tied to Asia are all adding to the strong growth.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/chin ... lden-rush/

Texas by contrast is still very reasonable for inner city dwelling. Our residential townhouse here cost half one of the townhouses in Melbourne and is twice as big. Still not huge tho, I'll gladly trade property size over commute time here in Houston any day. Anything over 30 mins each way is a no-go imo.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Baker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Thats why we bought where we did in Nashville. Im still working from home and we are 6 minutes from my wifes office. Paid more than if we lived out of the city, but essentially no commute makes it all worth.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby chevyav53 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

rubberneck wrote:If we hadn't bought properties back in Melbourne before we moved over to Houston, we could never afford to move back into the CBD. Australia and particularly the larger cities have property inflation that is still quite strong. The livability factor, Chinese investment and a strong economy tied to Asia are all adding to the strong growth.

Texas by contrast is still very reasonable for inner city dwelling. Our residential townhouse here cost half one of the townhouses in Melbourne and is twice as big. Still not huge tho, I'll gladly trade property size over commute time here in Houston any day. Anything over 30 mins each way is a no-go imo.

Ohh from Melbourne, we have an office there and I am always hearing how expensive it is. I believe Melbourne is one of the most expensive cities in the world, a top 10 maybe? The office is always worried the company is going to close it for a lower cost option. Smart move holding on, if we ever wanted to move and come back would have to keep a house here. Once you leave, forget about it.

Thought about Texas before, until I had a few business trips, I am sorry 90 at night was crazy. The AC unit in the hotel room never stopped, never in 3 days. :hanging:
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 am

chevyav53 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:If we hadn't bought properties back in Melbourne before we moved over to Houston, we could never afford to move back into the CBD. Australia and particularly the larger cities have property inflation that is still quite strong. The livability factor, Chinese investment and a strong economy tied to Asia are all adding to the strong growth.

Ohh from Melbourne, we have an office there and I am always hearing how expensive it is. I believe Melbourne is one of the most expensive cities in the world, a top 10 maybe? The office is always worried the company is going to close it for a lower cost option. Smart move holding on, if we ever wanted to move and come back would have to keep a house here. Once you leave, forget about it.

Thought about Texas before, until I had a few business trips, I am sorry 90 at night was crazy. The AC unit in the hotel room never stopped, never in 3 days. :hanging:

Aye, it takes some adjusting to, but it's got it's own rough charm. Certainly got better lately for restaurants, activities and livability with so many expats living here.

The problem now is the required upgrade to adjust to the increasing population, all the major motorways are under expansion, my off-ramp has just been closed for a proposed 2 years as a result. Major detours are in effect going forward :hanging:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby IndyDMBFan on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 am

It's funny that this same stuff is happening all over the country.

I live in Indianapolis and we have some of the lowest cost of living in the country, but our housing market is crazy, comparative to our historic numbers.

The number of houses on the market is really low because people can't find anything else to buy so why sell. I bought my house 2 years ago and the value has gone up about 17% in two years.

My buddy just sold his house 2 weeks ago, very modest home by national comparisons......had 11 offers the first day on the market, sold for 10% over asking price with no concessions.
IndyDMBFan
Art Expert

Postby IndyDMBFan on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 am

Baker wrote:Thats why we bought where we did in Nashville. Im still working from home and we are 6 minutes from my wifes office. Paid more than if we lived out of the city, but essentially no commute makes it all worth.

I'm considering a move to Nashville in the next couple of years Baker. My work is expanding there and they offer a pretty nice relocation package.
IndyDMBFan
Art Expert

Postby Baker on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

IndyDMBFan wrote:
Baker wrote:Thats why we bought where we did in Nashville. Im still working from home and we are 6 minutes from my wifes office. Paid more than if we lived out of the city, but essentially no commute makes it all worth.

I'm considering a move to Nashville in the next couple of years Baker. My work is expanding there and they offer a pretty nice relocation package.

City is growing too fast for its own good right now. Big transit vote coming up that people are either very for or very against. We are already way behind the 8 ball as far as transit goes, I stay as far away from downtown as possible hah. Great city though, food and beer scene are getting better and better.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby kansasbbq on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

spunkmonkey wrote:

There are quite a few CA transplants here in Seattle (hell, we moved here from San Francisco in 2004 so we could afford a house/start a family). Since Seattle is crazy now too, I think a lot of people just stop in Oregon.

Tons of CA transplants here in Austin too. Neighbors across the street still have their CA license plates.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

Postby spunkmonkey on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

The same time I left SF, four of my friends moved to Austin (that was #2 on our list after Seattle).
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:51 pm

spunkmonkey wrote:The same time I left SF, four of my friends moved to Austin (that was #2 on our list after Seattle).

I still debate Oregon as I love the Bend area. I know it rains but every time we've gone up it has been great summers, and what I would expect in winter.

How much does it rain up there in Seattle? Are you suicidal due to the lack of sun being from CA, though SF is different than inland?
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby kansasbbq on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:10 pm

spunkmonkey wrote:The same time I left SF, four of my friends moved to Austin (that was #2 on our list after Seattle).

My brother is in Portland. Still don't know how he tolerates the weather.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes