Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby misterwhisper on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

soam24 wrote:
Baker wrote:
soam24 wrote:Ring video doorbell people...

Pros / Cons.

What do you wish you did differently (or didn't)

At the moment in time when we bought ours theres nothing I wish we had done differently. We have one, non wired so runs on battery and it works pretty great. I see the comment above about nest cams, which is true, but also the entire point of these are to substitute your doorbell, not whole house coverage. We have Ring on the front door, and then Arlo cameras on our back doors.

Only complaint I really have is with the motion detection which we have on, even set at the smallest motion zone possible, it still kicks off when a big truck or car drive down the street sometimes.

With options out there now, I would probably go with a nest doorbell simply because we have some indoor Nest cams, thermostats, and smoke detectors and having as much in one app as opposed to multiple apps is just easier. We have Ring, Arlo, and Nest, all 3 of which have cameras in them.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Nest option, turns out theirs is only wired, and we didnt have wiring in place and no want to do that, so that would have taken me back to the Ring again.

I'll take a look at nest and other options. We have a smart thermostat with ecobee already and they don't make any video products, but i'll still take a look.

If anyone else has pros and cons would love to hear it.

I've had an original Ring for the past couple of years, and I recently upgraded to a Ring 2 and moved the original ring to the back door. The Ring isn't perfect, but I'd still recommend it. It does have some issues, but overall I feel it's worth it.

Cons:
-- Like Baker says, it's sensitive and tends to get set off by cars and trucks passing by. It can take some trial and error to get the settings and sensitivity right. But if your camera doesn't face the street/traffic, it's not an issue.
-- Setting motion zones and sensitivity requires physically ringing the doorbell after adjusting the app, which means that if you're trying to alter your settings when you're out of town, you're out of luck. Ring customer service says it can be done without pressing the button, but it means waiting until someone/something triggers the motion sensor.
-- despite their claims of year-long battery life, I've never gotten more than a few months of battery life on my non-hardwired original Ring (my front door is hardwired though, and requires no maintenance). Taking it off to charge can be a bit of a pain. The Ring 2 has a removeable battery which makes life much easier, so look at that one if you can't hardwire to an existing doorbell. And if you can't hardwire, you can now buy a solar cradle for the original and the Ring 2, which is pretty cool.
-- the wifi is pretty weak and can cause video lag, but I contacted customer service and after walking through their troubleshooting, they sent me a free Chime Pro range extender.
-- The single biggest issue is that connection time varies for some reason (probably due to wifi connection) so accessing the camera after a ring can take anywhere from 5 seconds (great!) to 20+ seconds (an eternity). So if you're out and about and the internet/LTE's slow, it's gonna take you a while to answer the door.

Pros:
-- It is the cheapest cloud video storage I've been able to find by far. $30 per camera per year for 60 days cloud storage, which includes video review, video sharing, and the ability to download video for permanent storage. I believe the closest Nest plan is 10x the price @ $300/year, and that's for only 30 days cloud storage. If you go up to the Protect plan you can get unlimited cameras, extended warranty plus full coverage for the Ring Security System, which I plan to get as soon as the lawsuit settles (they're being sued by ADT).
-- Great customer service (see note on the $50 Chime Pro that they sent me for free).
-- Open ecosystem makes the Ring compatible with a variety of 3rd party peripherals like Amazon Echo, Fire TV, Wemo, ADT (despite the lawsuit) Kevo smartlocks, etc.
-- You're automatically included in the Ring Network, so that if any suspicious activities are observed and reported by your neighbors' ring cameras, you'll be notified automatically. You can set the perimeters (default is a 3 mile radius) or of course opt out entirely.
-- Due to the constant advertising it's the most recognizable of the video doorbell, which in itself is a deterrent.

So not perfect, but pretty good, and in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. Right now I have two Rings (front and back) for exterior security and I hope to get the Security System if/when it comes available. For interior I just use Yi Home cameras, which are surprisingly good for the $29 price point.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Postby sidewaysscott on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Have the Ring2. Really like it, I hardwired mine and had zero issues. The wifi is weak so I got a decent extender and the Ring works great now. The $30 year storage is a hell of a deal. No complaints. Notice that slickdeals will have deals on it frequently.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby Codeblue on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 am

Yall live in high crime areas? Sounds like some of y'all have some Fort Knox level setups.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby mr_rugby on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 am

Hardwood flooring is expensive...FML
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

mr_rugby wrote:Hardwood flooring is expensive...FML

But worth it, what type you putting in?
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby mr_rugby on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

chevyav53 wrote:

Armstrong Flooring American Scrape 5 in. Wide x 3/4 in. Thick, Medium Gloss Solid Oak Hardwood Flooring in Brown Bear
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
soam24 wrote:
Baker wrote:
soam24 wrote:Ring video doorbell people...

Pros / Cons.

What do you wish you did differently (or didn't)

At the moment in time when we bought ours theres nothing I wish we had done differently. We have one, non wired so runs on battery and it works pretty great. I see the comment above about nest cams, which is true, but also the entire point of these are to substitute your doorbell, not whole house coverage. We have Ring on the front door, and then Arlo cameras on our back doors.

Only complaint I really have is with the motion detection which we have on, even set at the smallest motion zone possible, it still kicks off when a big truck or car drive down the street sometimes.

With options out there now, I would probably go with a nest doorbell simply because we have some indoor Nest cams, thermostats, and smoke detectors and having as much in one app as opposed to multiple apps is just easier. We have Ring, Arlo, and Nest, all 3 of which have cameras in them.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Nest option, turns out theirs is only wired, and we didnt have wiring in place and no want to do that, so that would have taken me back to the Ring again.

I'll take a look at nest and other options. We have a smart thermostat with ecobee already and they don't make any video products, but i'll still take a look.

If anyone else has pros and cons would love to hear it.

I've had an original Ring for the past couple of years, and I recently upgraded to a Ring 2 and moved the original ring to the back door. The Ring isn't perfect, but I'd still recommend it. It does have some issues, but overall I feel it's worth it.

Cons:
-- Like Baker says, it's sensitive and tends to get set off by cars and trucks passing by. It can take some trial and error to get the settings and sensitivity right. But if your camera doesn't face the street/traffic, it's not an issue.
-- Setting motion zones and sensitivity requires physically ringing the doorbell after adjusting the app, which means that if you're trying to alter your settings when you're out of town, you're out of luck. Ring customer service says it can be done without pressing the button, but it means waiting until someone/something triggers the motion sensor.
-- despite their claims of year-long battery life, I've never gotten more than a few months of battery life on my non-hardwired original Ring (my front door is hardwired though, and requires no maintenance). Taking it off to charge can be a bit of a pain. The Ring 2 has a removeable battery which makes life much easier, so look at that one if you can't hardwire to an existing doorbell. And if you can't hardwire, you can now buy a solar cradle for the original and the Ring 2, which is pretty cool.
-- the wifi is pretty weak and can cause video lag, but I contacted customer service and after walking through their troubleshooting, they sent me a free Chime Pro range extender.
-- The single biggest issue is that connection time varies for some reason (probably due to wifi connection) so accessing the camera after a ring can take anywhere from 5 seconds (great!) to 20+ seconds (an eternity). So if you're out and about and the internet/LTE's slow, it's gonna take you a while to answer the door.

Pros:
-- It is the cheapest cloud video storage I've been able to find by far. $30 per camera per year for 60 days cloud storage, which includes video review, video sharing, and the ability to download video for permanent storage. I believe the closest Nest plan is 10x the price @ $300/year, and that's for only 30 days cloud storage. If you go up to the Protect plan you can get unlimited cameras, extended warranty plus full coverage for the Ring Security System, which I plan to get as soon as the lawsuit settles (they're being sued by ADT).
-- Great customer service (see note on the $50 Chime Pro that they sent me for free).
-- Open ecosystem makes the Ring compatible with a variety of 3rd party peripherals like Amazon Echo, Fire TV, Wemo, ADT (despite the lawsuit) Kevo smartlocks, etc.
-- You're automatically included in the Ring Network, so that if any suspicious activities are observed and reported by your neighbors' ring cameras, you'll be notified automatically. You can set the perimeters (default is a 3 mile radius) or of course opt out entirely.
-- Due to the constant advertising it's the most recognizable of the video doorbell, which in itself is a deterrent.

So not perfect, but pretty good, and in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. Right now I have two Rings (front and back) for exterior security and I hope to get the Security System if/when it comes available. For interior I just use Yi Home cameras, which are surprisingly good for the $29 price point.

Appreciate the detailed post,

I think we are sold on the ring, as it seems based on the subscription service that it's the best in class.

Also found the "wink" home system, is compatible with Ring, amongst a boatload of other products.
www.wink.com/

About to go on a spending spree.
soam24
Art Freak

Postby sidewaysscott on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Yea it is. We just dropped $10k on some. Thought it was expensive for the sq ft. But, now that it's done, it's awesome.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby sidewaysscott on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Codeblue wrote:Yall live in high crime areas? Sounds like some of y'all have some Fort Knox level setups.

no crime...just nice to have a piece of mind and something that records the activity.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Postby misterwhisper on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Yall live in high crime areas? Sounds like some of y'all have some Fort Knox level setups.

no crime...just nice to have a piece of mind and something that records the activity.

Ha! I actually live in a 'burb that's consistently ranked in the top 5 of the "safest midsize cities in America" surveys (for whatever that's worth)... But as the news constantly points out, there are porch pirates and knock-knock burglers everywhere, so as long as they're dropping tubes off at my front door every week or so, better safe than sorry.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

mr_rugby wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:

Armstrong Flooring American Scrape 5 in. Wide x 3/4 in. Thick, Medium Gloss Solid Oak Hardwood Flooring in Brown Bear

Those are nice floors.... have you had hardwood before and just first time replacing? If your first time with them invest in swiffers/brooms as the dust definitely becomes more visible especially on darker floors.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby mr_rugby on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Those are nice floors.... have you had hardwood before and just first time replacing? If your first time with them invest in swiffers/brooms as the dust definitely becomes more visible especially on darker floors.

Should I buy one of those big blue dust mops you see laying around in gymnasiums?
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:02 pm

mr_rugby wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:Those are nice floors.... have you had hardwood before and just first time replacing? If your first time with them invest in swiffers/brooms as the dust definitely becomes more visible especially on darker floors.

Should I buy one of those big blue dust mops you see laying around in gymnasiums?

Ha, you might. My sister & husband did dark wood and the dust shows much clearer than on lighter woods. They have a large family room with a lot of floor space though. She got tired of the little swiffer so she bought a larger broom.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:12 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:

Ha, you might. My sister & husband did dark wood and the dust shows much clearer than on lighter woods. They have a large family room with a lot of floor space though. She got tired of the little swiffer so she bought a larger broom.

Most definitely, especially if you have any pets. We have a couple of cats and a dog and we get tumble fur bunnies if we don't sweep every 4 days or so and I hate using the vacuum on the wood. Sweep into one pile and suck it up from there...
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby piper27 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Hate to break up the great hard wood floor chatter. Does anyone use Simply Safe home security? I guess my wife wants one or something like it that won't break the bank.
piper27
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes