Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby soam24 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Ring video doorbell people...

Pros / Cons.

What do you wish you did differently (or didn't)
soam24
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

house render looks awesome Wotta - love it. Best of luck and congrats!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby chevyav53 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm

soam24 wrote:Ring video doorbell people...

Pros / Cons.

I looked into these, due to the limited view and fact someone needs to come to your door or in front of it I decided to use Nest Cams instead, they are great. Have a few all around the house. You can talk through them as well so when someone is walking up and knocks or rings I can talk through the camera from anywhere and I get notice ahead of time from my other cameras. Great for when traveling.... also can be fun during Halloween :)
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby chevyav53 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm

Just venting....Hate shut off valves.

Replaced my toilet Valve last night in the master bath as kept running after being flushed. Shut off valve starts leaking after all is said and done. I've run into this too often..... hate these damn valves.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby Baker on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Pros / Cons.

At the moment in time when we bought ours theres nothing I wish we had done differently. We have one, non wired so runs on battery and it works pretty great. I see the comment above about nest cams, which is true, but also the entire point of these are to substitute your doorbell, not whole house coverage. We have Ring on the front door, and then Arlo cameras on our back doors.

Only complaint I really have is with the motion detection which we have on, even set at the smallest motion zone possible, it still kicks off when a big truck or car drive down the street sometimes.

With options out there now, I would probably go with a nest doorbell simply because we have some indoor Nest cams, thermostats, and smoke detectors and having as much in one app as opposed to multiple apps is just easier. We have Ring, Arlo, and Nest, all 3 of which have cameras in them.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Nest option, turns out theirs is only wired, and we didnt have wiring in place and no want to do that, so that would have taken me back to the Ring again.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby cmatthews11 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:11 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Just venting....Hate shut off valves.

Replaced my toilet Valve last night in the master bath as kept running after being flushed. Shut off valve starts leaking after all is said and done. I've run into this too often..... hate these damn valves.

I've had to replace 3 since being in this house, hate em too. The SharkBite valves are nice for the open ended connections, but obviously they don't work in all scenarios.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Postby Lowbrow-Ink on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:22 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Just venting....Hate shut off valves.

I couldn't agree more. I assume you are referring to the type with the stem & oval handle? Always start leaking at the base of the stem after moderate use. I've started to replace all mine with the quarter-turn type to much better results.
Lowbrow-Ink
Art Connoisseur

Postby chevyav53 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for the above, was thinking there has to be a better quality valve. Going to check out the Sharkbite which are Quarter turn . I'll be replacing them soon. I do enjoy a proactive excuse to get out the tools, even for small jobs.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby piper27 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

What about using a 3/8 or 1/4" brass ball valve? I mean we use them at work and the hold up for eons.
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby chevyav53 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

piper27 wrote:What about using a 3/8 or 1/4" brass ball valve? I mean we use them at work and the hold up for eons.

My wife won't like the look, too industrial. :roll:
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby piper27 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
piper27 wrote:What about using a 3/8 or 1/4" brass ball valve? I mean we use them at work and the hold up for eons.

My wife won't like the look, too industrial. :roll:

Thought the industrial look was in. My wife has me making these damn pintrest shelves that use galvanized pipe to hold them together. But what would I know about decorating I'm a dude
piper27
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Baker wrote:

Pros / Cons.

At the moment in time when we bought ours theres nothing I wish we had done differently. We have one, non wired so runs on battery and it works pretty great. I see the comment above about nest cams, which is true, but also the entire point of these are to substitute your doorbell, not whole house coverage. We have Ring on the front door, and then Arlo cameras on our back doors.

Only complaint I really have is with the motion detection which we have on, even set at the smallest motion zone possible, it still kicks off when a big truck or car drive down the street sometimes.

With options out there now, I would probably go with a nest doorbell simply because we have some indoor Nest cams, thermostats, and smoke detectors and having as much in one app as opposed to multiple apps is just easier. We have Ring, Arlo, and Nest, all 3 of which have cameras in them.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Nest option, turns out theirs is only wired, and we didnt have wiring in place and no want to do that, so that would have taken me back to the Ring again.

I'll take a look at nest and other options. We have a smart thermostat with ecobee already and they don't make any video products, but i'll still take a look.

If anyone else has pros and cons would love to hear it.
soam24
Art Freak

Postby chevyav53 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Did the DIY weed killer last night, got home and very impressed with it. Vinegar, salt and dish soap all organic too, killer job. Much better than the heavy chemical based weed killers.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby piper27 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Did the DIY weed killer last night, got home and very impressed with it. Vinegar, salt and dish soap all organic too, killer job. Much better than the heavy chemical based weed killers.

I tried that, my poision ivy just laughed at it. Good thing my brother is an agronomist. He gave me some round up with close to 50% glyphosate. Killed everything dead for all of 2017. Curious to see if anything comes up this spring.
piper27
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

piper27 wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:Did the DIY weed killer last night, got home and very impressed with it. Vinegar, salt and dish soap all organic too, killer job. Much better than the heavy chemical based weed killers.

I tried that, my poision ivy just laughed at it. Good thing my brother is an agronomist. He gave me some round up with close to 50% glyphosate. Killed everything dead for all of 2017. Curious to see if anything comes up this spring.

No Roundup allowed in this house since the cancer report and Cali labeling glyphosate as cancerous. Luckily no ivy here though.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes