Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby ipath2003 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 pm

The title says it all Homeowner Life - Post some pics of projects your doing in your House.

I just bought a house March 30 of this year and went crazy as soon as I bought It. Ripped out carpet in 3 rooms the day we signed the papers. 2 had beautiful hardwood floors under them!!!!! didnt even have to refinish them!!!!!!. Moved our stuff into the house the next day. Took down a wall from the dinning room to the kitchen the third day in!!!! and it keeps on going. I am on the finishing stretch!!!! A few things left to do in the kitchen!!!!

Started to buy and add base cabinets

Got butcher block counter tops

The wife and my mom redid half bath when I was at AC beer Fest

Redid the upper cabinets - Sanded / 2 coats of paint / Polly

New flooring

ipath2003
Art Expert

Postby ipath2003 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Current Status - Just did the Subway tile back splash last weekend and put the granite in the week before

ipath2003
Art Expert

Postby Lukexxxi on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Really like that bamboo flooring mate, came up really nice. Same with the bathroom and kitchen, made a heap of difference :clap:

Finalised the purchase of my first home yesterday that has been under construction pretty much all year. Getting 180m2 of bamboo flooring on monday to put down, plus a list as long of your arm of other stuff I want/need to do. Will have to take pics for this thread.
Lukexxxi
Art Connoisseur

Postby ipath2003 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Thank you!!! Yeah its been A Lot of work!!! The wife and I have been working hard. There are a TON of other things we have done....... You name it we did it. Paint/ trim / crown molding / Marble transitions / did the Deck over paint on the decks / refinished the stairs(gotta give the wife cred on that one)

Just got a fee stove yesterday!!! But it was converted to propane. I need to convert back to Natural Gas.

CONGRATS to you!!!!!!! Cant wait to see some of your pics!!!!!!!!!!

ipath2003
Art Expert

Postby Noah0189 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Love the subway tile. I'm currently in the process of buying a home as well. Your renovations look great.
Noah0189
Art Expert

acidburn wrote:...Was one of those bootleg Spidermans that looked like a luchador and showed my excuse for a bulge.

Postby jjbehren on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 pm

We only did about 15% of the work on this one ourselves, but here's a project we started last July. We're nearing a temporary end now, 16 month later. Still a lot or work to be done, but we're going to take a break for a while. Next Spring will be landscaping.

This is what we bought:

We did a lot of the demo (my son's favorite):

This used to be a bedroom. We put a door where the bigger window is in this pic and made it a mudroom/entryway.

We also took out a bathtub and put main floor laundry in the mudroom.

This used to be another bedroom. It's now out TV room. The crazy blue was inside the closets in what used to be a small bedroom. We had to put a skim coat of drywall mud over the blue before painting or it would have shown through. The hole in the floor is where a wall used to be:

Now, let's pop the top off this thing:

Add some stairs:

upstairs:

Took out a bunch of the overgrown shrubs and stray trees. Coming together:

My son and I add a toilet:

Lookin' better:

I need more pictures of the "finished" interior.
jjbehren
Flipper

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby IWish on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 pm

That's a nice lookin' house. Is this your first home?

I went crazy when I bought my house (condo - I share one common wall with neighbor.) It's tiny...only has four rooms. Originally, there was a standard sized entry way leading from the living room into the kitchen (where the James Flames framed print is hanging on the wall.) I had that entry way sheet rocked and had a arch cut in the center to open it up. Painted the wall as an accent wall to match the tile...rest of the walls are painted vanilla cream.

I also had the carpet removed and had ceramic tile installed. The original owner, who bought it in 1978, still had the original shag carpet in the home when I bought it in '98. I refused to walk on it barefoot...gross.

Also had all the single pane windows removed and installed all new insulated windows. I added a skylight in the living room...between the skylight and the arch cut into the wall it really opened up the place. I had the popcorn ceiling fudge removed and had them re-textured.

The back door in the kitchen will get removed and that wall will be cut (top cabinets removed) to become a pony wall. The back door leads out to my porch (currently screened-in). The porch floor is part of the original cement/foundation. I will have insulated windows/door installed when the outer wall is enclosed. This will add 120 sq ft to my home and will make my kitchen a split level.

I guess this picture gives some insight regarding my personality. Just me, a regular Joe...nothing fancy.

Last edited by IWish on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IWish
Art Expert

If you need weights to flatten posters. Make your own using penny rolls - it's inexpensive. Just throw them into a ziplock or something similar. Non-organic and there is no risk getting an infestation (grain bugs).

Postby Noah0189 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Jj, dig the craftsman style of your place. Huge difference. When I see threads like this it reminds me that people on the board do other fudge than collect art. Lol.
Noah0189
Art Expert

acidburn wrote:...Was one of those bootleg Spidermans that looked like a luchador and showed my excuse for a bulge.

Postby jjbehren on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 pm

IWish wrote:That's a nice lookin' house. Is this your first home?

Me? No. Second home.

Noah0189 wrote:Jj, dig the craftsman style of your place. Huge difference. When I see threads like this it reminds me that people on the board do other fudge than collect art. Lol.

Well thanks, but I wouldn't call it "craftsman". It's a Frankenstein house. The basement was dug and foundation poured in the early '40s. Because of the war, the original owners didn't have money or resources to build the rest of the house so they just lived in the basement for 3 or 4 years. In the late '40s they built the main section of the main floor (the part we built up over). The guy who owned it was a carpenter and he built it himself (like a tank, by the way). Then, in the late '50s a master bedroom was added (the section of the house we didn't build over to the left). Then we came along and added the second floor.

It's sort of a mess, but we like it.
Last edited by jjbehren on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjbehren
Flipper

Postby IWish on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:02 am

Oh, yeah...meant the OP. I remember when you were looking for a house jj. I can't imagine living in a big house like that...nice.
IWish
Art Expert

If you need weights to flatten posters. Make your own using penny rolls - it's inexpensive. Just throw them into a ziplock or something similar. Non-organic and there is no risk getting an infestation (grain bugs).

Postby HappaHaoli on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 am

jjbehren wrote:
IWish wrote:That's a nice lookin' house. Is this your first home?

Me? No. Second home.

Nice work.

BTW - You look more like your avatar than I expected... your son even has the expression down.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Image x5 ImageImage

"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."

Postby jjbehren on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 am

HappaHaoli wrote:BTW - You look more like your avatar than I expected.

That picture was taken before I lost one of my hands after being attacked by a loose seal...
jjbehren
Flipper

Postby jjbehren on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:38 am

Ah drymount. My wife just reminded me that I never finished re-glazing some of our old storm windows. They're currently sitting in my basement with all of the old glazing scraped off of them and glazing takes a couple weeks to totally dry. Gonna be cold in our living room for a while.
jjbehren
Flipper

Postby bryndavies on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 am

Noah0189 wrote:Love the subway tile. I'm currently in the process of buying a home as well. Your renovations look great.

what part of stl are you gonna buy in?
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby bryndavies on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56 am

damn, jj, nice work on adding a second floor.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Next

Return to Anything Goes