Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Finally got an iPad Pro.... idk how I've held off having an iPad for so long. It's glorious when you paid it with the pencil and keyboard case.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Think I’m going to try you the Otterbox Pursuit with Alpha Glass screen protector (unless I can find a better tempered glass screen protector for less) for my iPhone X

Anyone ever use UAG Monarch cases? If yes, what do they do for screen protection?

Thanks!
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Looking for some good suggestions for headphone and/or earbuds(maybe) to use with my iphoneX. Quality and comfort is important. I’ve likes my bose headphone for around the house but wondering if there was something better for out and about

Would love to get wireless but I’m not sure how that would affect the quality / data with Bluetooth use. I’ve never had a pair before

Just looking for some general info and/or suggestions.

TIA
ajmmck
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:53 am

Anyone giving the HomePod a go?
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am

ajmmck wrote:Anyone giving the HomePod a go?
My house is already balls deep into Sonos. Doubt I will ever get a HomePod.... love my Sonos stuff.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 am

Anyone here use Apple Music?

I signed up for the free 3 month trial earlier this year and my family has been accessing it through family sharing as well
My trial is ending soon and I’m tempted to continue on....the options it shows me is a family plan for $14.99 a month or an individual plan for $99.00 a year. If I switch to the yearly individual plan does that mean my family won’t have access to it through family sharing? Or will they have access to my plan but not the ability to tailor it to their personal setting/playlists, etc.?

My kids don’t really use it and the wife only uses it on the weekends so I’m not sure if I want to pay $14.99 a month (vs $8.25 a month for the yearly individual plan) if they can just share my individual plan and search for their songs through that using family sharing

Tia
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Apple Music, I use it, but I just pay the $15/mo for my wife and I.

The iOS 12 beta is out. I've only had it on my phone for half a day, but I really like it. I haven't noticed many new features, but I like the grouped notifications and it's noticeably faster on my iPhone X than iOS 11 was. So far, no issues! (knock on wood)
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:07 pm

Question for geniuses here. Bought a new phone and trying to move all my texts from the old one via iCloud. Contacts synced perfectly, but messages are just refusing to do so. I saw it was attempting to upload them and then paused and told me to plug in (the charge was not low) and connect wi-fi (it was already connected). Plugged in and now nothing is happening, no messages for a while. Tried to disabling the synchronization (if that’s what it is called) and enable it again and nada. Is there any way to force the process?

Thanks.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Take this with a slight grain of salt. it's been a few years since i worked there. but i dont think that the iOS capabilities for text messages have changed drastically.

iCloud does not store and sync text messages. The only way to transfer texts from one iphone to another is to restore from a back up of the old phone to the new phone.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:34 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Take this with a slight grain of salt. it's been a few years since i worked there. but i dont think that the iOS capabilities for text messages have changed drastically.

iCloud does not store and sync text messages. The only way to transfer texts from one iphone to another is to restore from a back up of the old phone to the new phone.
I did that when I get my iPhone X in 2017 and everything switched over beautifully. Give that a shot bubbie.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks.

That's the thing, I don't want to restore the whole thing. I really just want my calendar, notes, contacts and text messages. Calendar and contacts synced perfectly, or I did not find any discrepancies yet. One of my last notes is missing, but I can live with it. No messages were synced, however.

From what I understand, it should be possible because:
screenshot1.png
which tells me that the messages are uploaded to iCloud. And then when I switch the messages to off, I get this:
screenshot2.png
which tells me that it should be possible, but I get nada even I tap on "Disable and Download Messages".

Of course I could be wrong about all this and not all what it seems, lol.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 am

To update here, the messages synchronized at their own will today. So you can definitely get them from your old iPhone to the new one without having to restore the whole thing. Not sure what the extent of the "synchronization" is (and it troubles me), but a few minutes ago I connected to a "protected" wireless network that my old phone was familiar with without having to enter the password. So there you go.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 am

yeah. please ignore my previous post. that info i presented is very old and outdated.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Just snagged one of the new MacBook AIrs tonight. I am digging it. This is pretty much what I wanted when I had my last MBA, years ago. However, I do agree with everyone else (reviewers) that if you need power, get a MacBook Pro. The Air is capable, but I do see some random slowdowns and the like just doing normal stuff. Nothing bad, but it doesn't feel like my wife's MacBook Pro which is two years old and Geekbench scores are about the same with this Air. Still, an impressive machine.

Also have an iPhone XS Max coming tomorrow. Upgrading from my iPhone X. Really just to get rid of my iPad Pro and iPhone X, to consolidate to a larger screen phone, hoping that the larger screen will make up for no tablet. The iPad Pro and iPhone X probably won't fully pay for the iPhone XS Max, but I'll get close enough. Looking to go strictly MacBook Air and iPhone XS Max. Ditching an iPad.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Doing a bit of restoration on a 2009 Mac Pro in my office.

This was a nice find, got Mojave running just before I left for the day.

http://dosdude1.com/mojave
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041