Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 am

pvecchi wrote:So looking forward to getting my X on a December 1st.
I'm still rocking the iPhone5 but looking forward to upgrading and seeing what I've been missing

What are people doing for cases? I'll be looking for indestructiblity with my kids around
Earbuds/headphones?
Wireless chargers that don't take forever?
Screen protector is a must in my book. I've been using Zagg glass protector and absolutely love it. This is my 3rd phone with this screen protector and the buttery smooth feel of the glass is so worth the $40 price tag.

As for cases, I'm waiting for my favorite to become available - Dreem Fibonacci. It is a wallet case as I like to only carry my phone and no wallet. What makes this case awesome is that while at home I can take the phone out of the wallet portion and just carry that around. Cost is $35 on Amazon and worth checking out.

Best looking case I've seen comes from Vajacases.com - their silver accented cases - gorgeous but the price will make you cry ($230).

Enjoy!
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:It's not as big of a learning curve as I expected, but I do still find myself reaching for the home button occasionally.
Miss the home button? Here's how to add a virtual one!

To enable AssistiveTouch, open the Settings app and then navigate to General, then Accessibility, and scroll down to find AssistiveTouch. At the top, flip the switch to turn it on. If you want it to work just like your old iPhone's home button, you'll need to dig into the custom actions. For Single-Tap, choose Home. For Double-Tap, select Multitasking. And for Long Press, choose Siri.

In addition, if you don't like the new location of Control Center (it's now accessed by swiping from the upper right corner), you can use AssistiveTouch to offer quick access to that, too. Under 3D Touch, choose Control Center, and then you'll be able to access it without having to swipe down from the top of the screen.

You can also adjust the opacity of the AssistiveTouch virtual home button so it's more subtle and does not obscure content as much. iOS 11 lets you reduce the visibility of AssistiveTouch to as little as 15 percent when not in use.

Finally, if you want your iPhone to function just as before, you'll want to press and hold on the AssistiveTouch button to drag it around. Place it at the bottom of the iPhone X display in the center, and you'll have a familiar experience. You can even leave the app dock empty so it doesn't obscure any apps on the home screen.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 pm

3 days in, and here's my impression so far - I love the phone! A couple of things to note:

If you miss the battery percentage being displayed, it can be found when swiping down for control center (swipe down from right side of notch) Not as convenient, but I understand the limitations with the "wings" and overall I'm grateful for the additional space.

The change in navigation is very intuitive with the exception of closing open applications. There is the extra moment for the open apps to show up on the swipe up, but instead of being able to flick the app up to close, you have to switch into that mode by briefly selecting an open app.

The screen is gorgeous and the native apps are really cool/impressive using the full screen. Apps written to to take advantage of the iPhone X's display are pretty awesome (Facebook) but not many do at this point.

The FaceID has been far easier and intuitive than I would have thought (coming from finger print unlocking on previous iPhone models). The only time FaceID doesn't seem to work 100% is in total darkness (waking up in the middle of the night in a dark room). Hopefully it's an issue on my side and I can get it to working every time.

Now to try out the camera and look for iPhone X specific apps!

-DC
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm

mr_rugby wrote:
MJGallicchio wrote:It's not as big of a learning curve as I expected, but I do still find myself reaching for the home button occasionally.

To enable AssistiveTouch, open the Settings app and then navigate to General, then Accessibility, and scroll down to find AssistiveTouch. At the top, flip the switch to turn it on. If you want it to work just like your old iPhone's home button, you'll need to dig into the custom actions. For Single-Tap, choose Home. For Double-Tap, select Multitasking. And for Long Press, choose Siri.

In addition, if you don't like the new location of Control Center (it's now accessed by swiping from the upper right corner), you can use AssistiveTouch to offer quick access to that, too. Under 3D Touch, choose Control Center, and then you'll be able to access it without having to swipe down from the top of the screen.

You can also adjust the opacity of the AssistiveTouch virtual home button so it's more subtle and does not obscure content as much. iOS 11 lets you reduce the visibility of AssistiveTouch to as little as 15 percent when not in use.

Finally, if you want your iPhone to function just as before, you'll want to press and hold on the AssistiveTouch button to drag it around. Place it at the bottom of the iPhone X display in the center, and you'll have a familiar experience. You can even leave the app dock empty so it doesn't obscure any apps on the home screen.
Excellent - I'll check some of these out!
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

mr_rugby wrote:

Great notes. A couple of days later and I'm not missing home at all, but I'm still very pleased with the phone.

I agree with Vorpel, the battery % and closing apps are a bit annoying, but far from deal breakers.

I grabbed a cheap QI wireless charger off eBay and used that for the first time last night. I can't speak to how quick or slow it charges, but I woke up and it was charged. I plan on grabbing two more for my work and home offices.

I'm using a Spigen clear case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CMMCZM/re ... UTF8&psc=1) that works fine. I haven't used a screen protector in years, but I'm thinking it may be worth it on this one.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:I'm using a Spigen clear case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CMMCZM/re ... UTF8&psc=1) that works fine. I haven't used a screen protector in years, but I'm thinking it may be worth it on this one.
I just purchased a screen protector as well. My Otterbox didn't come with one but they have for sale alpha glass for an additional $40. Instead, I purchased a screen protector from Amazon for under $10. It's a 3 pack and I'm hoping it does the job. On my previous phone I had a privacy screen due to the size. I almost went with that again but I didn't want to darken my screen any. It's absolutely beautiful and defeats some of the purpose of owning an iPhone X IMO.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

As far as screen protectors go, see if you can locally check out the Zagg line. They are more expensive but over the years I've been through at least a dozen screen protector brands/models and the Zagg glass are about as close as you can get to the feel of the screen without a protector and has saved my screen numerous times. Replacement when one gets damaged is free for life of that model and just costs a $5 install fee. Plus the added bonus of not stressing myself out having to do the install myself (I can't stand dust or specs under the screen protector).
DoubleDown
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am

Do the Zagg protectors fit iPhone X? I saw a bunch of reviews on Amazon etc that said that they are too short for the screen and thus have some edge exposed and furthermore creating a rainbow halo effect.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 am

DoubleDown wrote:Do the Zagg protectors fit iPhone X? I saw a bunch of reviews on Amazon etc that said that they are too short for the screen and thus have some edge exposed and furthermore creating a rainbow halo effect.
At first I would have said that it fits great but now that you mention the rainbow effect I do see a little around the edge. Until this was mentioned I didn't notice it. I will have to check with my local Zagg dealer and see when they get new ones in. It can be traded out in the first 2 weeks at no cost. After that it is the cost of the installation ($5).

Thanks for bringing this up. It isn't a deal breaker for me.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Good info guys.

Anyone else have any feedback on cases, etc for the X? I’m still leaning towards the otter box defender type case without an additional screen protector besides the case but am open to better solutions if someone has one

:pint:
ciphe
Art Expert

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm

iphone 6s

After the ios 11 update, all of my photos have rearranged out of chronological order. Has this happened to anyone else?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 pm

pvecchi wrote:Good info guys.

Anyone else have any feedback on cases, etc for the X? I’m still leaning towards the otter box defender type case without an additional screen protector besides the case but am open to better solutions if someone has one

:pint:
Do it! I have the Otterbox Defender and got a screen protector for it and I love it!
DoubleDown
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 pm

For me, those otterbox’s are just too bulky. I just went with a slim hard/soft case hybrid and skipped the screen protector all together. I like the feel of the real glass and I dont beat my phones up to much. Haven’t used one since iPhone 4.
Speaking of the screen, is it just me or does the X not collect oil on the screen like previous phones? My 6+ was a greasy magnet. Or maybe it just doesn’t show as much on X.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 pm

iskin is a solid case that is very slim and unobtrusive. and doesn't fall apart.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm

DoubleDown wrote:For me, those otterbox’s are just too bulky. I just went with a slim hard/soft case hybrid and skipped the screen protector all together. I like the feel of the real glass and I dont beat my phones up to much. Haven’t used one since iPhone 4.
Speaking of the screen, is it just me or does the X not collect oil on the screen like previous phones? My 6+ was a greasy magnet. Or maybe it just doesn’t show as much on X.
I hear you about the bulkyness of the otterboxes. I’d love to find something thinner that could protect as well. My kids are just so destructive