What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
haven
Art Expert

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
haven wrote:Loved this.
Only related as it is also critically acclaimed WW2 fiction (admittedly not as acclaimed as ATLWCS), but have you read Orringer's The Invisible Bridge? I enjoyed it a lot more than ATLWCS; but I was not personally that blown away by ATLWCS, though that could have been driven by my reading it at the height of its awards hype.
I have not read that one but it's now added to the list.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 am

haven wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:
Only related as it is also critically acclaimed WW2 fiction (admittedly not as acclaimed as ATLWCS), but have you read Orringer's The Invisible Bridge? I enjoyed it a lot more than ATLWCS; but I was not personally that blown away by ATLWCS, though that could have been driven by my reading it at the height of its awards hype.
I have not read that one but it's now added to the list.
Good deal; hope you like it.
sickleclaw
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 am

Currently reading 'Death on the Nile' by Agatha Christie. Mainly reading in preparation for the sequel to 'Murder on the Orient Express' when it hits theaters.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm

IT

The second time I've powered through this thing and it's still the longest book I've ever read (although at some point I need to make time to read THE STAND). Having recently rewatched the 2017 version of the film, it got me in the mood again to dive into the book. There's so much history to the Pennywise/It character that I'd love to one day see this turned into a television series. Also, I'm not usually a fan of the story continuously bouncing back and forth between present day and the past, however, it worked for me with this novel. Some juicy nuggets of information are found out about the It character in terms of his history, how long he's been around and such. Definitely one of my favorite Stephen King novels although I must be honest, I haven't read much of his work. Not for lack of interest, but rather time. In addition to THE STAND, I'd also like to read NEEDFUL THINGS, CARRIE, THE SHINING (again) and THE DARK TOWER series. If you're a fan of either of the movies and haven't read this, I would suggest to as it's a rewarding read.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Definitely should read more of king, if you liked this. :pint:
So it goes...
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:19 am

mfaith wrote:Definitely should read more of king, if you liked this. :pint:
I do. Like I said, I want to do THE STAND next. I think that'll be the first book of his that I didn't already see the movie/mini-series of it beforehand so it'll be nice to be surprised along the way instead of knowing what's already coming.

I actually rewatched MISERY again yesterday. I don't know how long it's been since I've seen that movie.
reakathryn

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 am

I recently finished The Outsider by Stephen King. It was a good read but ended on a strange note but hey, that's SK for you :p I'm currently reading Altered Carbon (because of the Netflix show) and re-reading Mystic River :)
bhutanpro
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 pm

SAJPosters wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:

So you let "awards hype" affect your enjoyment of a book? What a tool.
Says the guy who's ISO every Phish poster ever made. Go hit your blunt and learn some manners.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Masterpiece.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 am

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Masterpiece.
yep
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am

about to finish this:

and have this on deck to start tonight:

guryter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm

I enjoyed All The light we cannot see as well. I'll have to queue up The Invisible Bridge.

Just finishing When Einstein walked with Godel by Jim Holt. Prior to that finished Factfulness by Hans Rosling. I highly recommend it.

Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 pm

I too enjoyed ATLWCS.

I have the American War and Factfulness both in my queue. So many books to read, and not enough time.

Needed a break from the typical read and am reading Angels and Demons from Dan Brown. Really enjoying it and just about done.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 pm

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila