What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ricv64
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 am

63schoeffling wrote:Almost halfway through It.... damn good. I need to finish it before the movie.
The clown makes a brief, very brief, appearance in the Tommyknockers
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:44 am

ricv64 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:Almost halfway through It.... damn good. I need to finish it before the movie.
I'm waiting for some Dark Tower references but I haven't come across any yet. The book is so much better than the miniseries (which was also great). It's just so much material to try and fit into a movie, I almost wish this new movie coming out would focus on them as kids and a sequel to come out where they are adults.
bran
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 am

63schoeffling wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
I'm waiting for some Dark Tower references but I haven't come across any yet. The book is so much better than the miniseries (which was also great). It's just so much material to try and fit into a movie, I almost wish this new movie coming out would focus on them as kids and a sequel to come out where they are adults.
From what I've read, that's what they're doing, this is more based on the kids, the next one will be adults.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 am

63schoeffling wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
That's what the new movie is doing. The sequel is already announced.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 am

Whoa, that's awesome! There's so much content, anything less wouldn't quite cut it. At first I was super skeptical of the remake, but after seeing some of the trailers I am all in on this one. So excited.

Next up I want to read The Stand.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 am

63schoeffling wrote:Whoa, that's awesome! There's so much content, anything less wouldn't quite cut it. At first I was super skeptical of the remake, but after seeing some of the trailers I am all in on this one. So excited.
Yeah, there's basically too much for even two movies, but it's basically the bare minimum to put out something remotely approaching a cogent story.

Reviews seem kind of mixed so far - nothing overly negative that I've seen, but not as good as I was hoping. (Edit: just saw the Io9 review, which is much more along the lines of what I was hoping to see - not that it matters much, I'm gonna see it no matter what)
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 am

Yup, I'll be seeing it early Saturday. Was going to go tonight but, Foosball is back!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 am

63schoeffling wrote:Whoa, that's awesome! There's so much content, anything less wouldn't quite cut it. At first I was super skeptical of the remake, but after seeing some of the trailers I am all in on this one. So excited.

The Stand is really fantastic - I read both of those when I was pretty young (13-15) and they still stand up today.

As for DT references in It, it's more the other way . . there are numerous references to things from It in the DT series, but no real connection you would make to the DT within It if you didn't already know that there were connections between the two.
bran
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 am

I know that there are several, but is there a really good book about the Tower series and all of the connections to all of the other non-Tower books? Thanks!

Also, just picked this up, excited:
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 am

bran wrote:I know that there are several, but is there a really good book about the Tower series and all of the connections to all of the other non-Tower books? Thanks!

Also, just picked this up, excited:
I have that coming from Amazon as well . . .

The best one on the DT series is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Kings-Da ... 1451694873

Furth was King's assistant when he was prepping the final three books and she co-wrote/shepherded the comics that Marvel put out (even though most of those are hit or miss)

Also, this is a pretty good listing of an expanded reading order for the full King DT experience - I have been doing most of this re-read over the last 2 years; right now I'm finishing up Wolves of the Calla

https://geekunchained.wordpress.com/201 ... ding-list/

and then there is this list which is even more expanded:

http://thetruthinsidethelie.blogspot.co ... ended.html
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 am

hunterjax wrote:That Joe Golem book is on my list.

On Armada . . . tough to expound without spoiling the book, but basically, if you read the synopsis on the cover and think "this sounds just like a cult 80s movie I saw" . . . well, it is. Just like it.

I kept waiting for a twist or some big reveal, but it was exactly what I expected it to be before reading it. It wasn't necessarily bad, just seemed a bit lazy and completely telegraphed.

Yep. Exactly. A real let down. Even though it knowingly references the film...just left me a bit cold. And I loved RP1
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 am

hunterjax wrote:

The Stand is really fantastic - I read both of those when I was pretty young (13-15) and they still stand up today.

As for DT references in It, it's more the other way . . there are numerous references to things from It in the DT series, but no real connection you would make to the DT within It if you didn't already know that there were connections between the two.

Still love The Stand. Re-read it every couple of years.
mtarail
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 am

Great read

ricv64
Art Expert

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 am

mtarail wrote:Great read

I spotted that in the library ...I'll check it out then
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
hunterjax