Watches thread- what'chu got?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby alittle on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am

Movements are serial numbered and you can find estimated production numbers for most makers on the interwebs.

There are true limited editions, however, where the case will be numbered out of, say 50, as a print would be.
alittle
Art Freak

Postby guru59 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am

padelimike wrote:
admhall wrote:
ChrisV wrote:Man...I always see this thread and get jealous. :lol: ...
Some day I will have an elite watch.

The true "I am a baller" thread

Are the run quantities of any of these watches known?
Fancy watches are cool, but I don't want something "rare" if a hundred or more other people can have it too...

If you get a watch with less than 100 in production there is going to be serious zeros in the amount you pay. The thing to do is not buy a Rolex sub or other watch you see on the street everyday. For example, I own a Zenith, who used to produce the movement for Rolex Daytona's. They are boss yet few people outside of the watch world think Zenith is anything more than a crap VCR. When in fact they are a staple in the watch industry with some real gems. Watches are like art, you can either have several at mediocre value where you may or may not get your money back, or you can save up to have just a few grails who's value will go up over time making it a solid investment.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."

Postby LeeKaye on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

guru59 wrote:
padelimike wrote:
admhall wrote:
ChrisV wrote:Man...I always see this thread and get jealous. :lol: ...
Some day I will have an elite watch.

The true "I am a baller" thread

Are the run quantities of any of these watches known?
Fancy watches are cool, but I don't want something "rare" if a hundred or more other people can have it too...

If you get a watch with less than 100 in production there is going to be serious zeros in the amount you pay. The thing to do is not buy a Rolex sub or other watch you see on the street everyday. For example, I own a Zenith, who used to produce the movement for Rolex Daytona's. They are boss yet few people outside of the watch world think Zenith is anything more than a crap VCR. When in fact they are a staple in the watch industry with some real gems. Watches are like art, you can either have several at mediocre value where you may or may not get your money back, or you can save up to have just a few grails who's value will go up over time making it a solid investment.

Zenith DuLuca is an amazing watch. (if it's the chrono I am thinking of)
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Postby guru59 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Indeed it is. Quickly becoming a classic.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."

Postby padelimike on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:32 pm

guru59 wrote:
padelimike wrote:Are the run quantities of any of these watches known?

If you get a watch with less than 100 in production there is going to be serious zeros in the amount you pay.

The one I posted in here has a known quantity of 50 :groucho: :whistle:
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Postby guru59 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 pm

padelimike wrote:
guru59 wrote:
padelimike wrote:Are the run quantities of any of these watches known?

If you get a watch with less than 100 in production there is going to be serious zeros in the amount you pay.

The one I posted in here has a known quantity of 50 :groucho: :whistle:

Which one was that?
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Postby padelimike on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 am

padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Postby guru59 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Indeed. I LOVE it. But as you know I was talking about hand made automatic movements. In the end, watches are like wine... you wear what you like and like what you like, regardless of the price or makeup.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Postby ZLandrum on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm

mistersmith wrote:I lost my Hamilton. Only ever put it one place, and it's not there or any other. It just vanished. drymounting sucks.

did you ever find it? And what kind was it, a Khaki? that does suck. I've been wearing my Khaki King for probably a year now and it's by far my favorite watch I own.
ZLandrum
Art Connoisseur

Postby mistersmith on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:32 pm

ZLandrum wrote:
mistersmith wrote:I lost my Hamilton. Only ever put it one place, and it's not there or any other. It just vanished. drymounting sucks.

did you ever find it? And what kind was it, a Khaki? that does suck. I've been wearing my Khaki King for probably a year now and it's by far my favorite watch I own.

Nope, lol. Mine was a Jazzmaster Cushion, H36515535. I'm keeping an eye on eBay to replace.

And in the meantime, I bought myself a Khaki Field automatic, for no good reason.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby BackToTheFutureFan on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:07 pm

My new Omega Seamaster 2254.50

BackToTheFutureFan
Art Connoisseur

Postby mistersmith on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:21 pm

mistersmith wrote:And in the meantime, I bought myself a Khaki Field automatic, for no good reason.

Also got a Hamilton X-Wind, came yesterday, love the hell out of it. Not as large as I thought it'd be, I half thought I'd end up sending it back.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby guru59 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 pm

BackToTheFutureFan wrote:My new Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Nice. I've always like Omega but yet to own one. I've always loved the Planet Ocean Co-Axial, the design of the co-axial has so much history people have no idea. It's F*in amazing and some think the most revolutionary of all regarding horology. George Daniels invented this back in the day and patented the process, somehow Omega was tied in so they have the rights. It's pretty cool and I want one. :drool:
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Postby BackToTheFutureFan on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:41 pm

guru59 wrote:Nice. I've always like Omega but yet to own one. I've always loved the Planet Ocean Co-Axial, the design of the co-axial has so much history people have no idea. It's F*in amazing and some think the most revolutionary of all regarding horology. George Daniels invented this back in the day and patented the process, somehow Omega was tied in so they have the rights. It's pretty cool and I want one. :drool:

I was torn between this one and the first gen Planet Ocean for this very reason. The PO is a gorgeous watch, but I love the case thickness, price, and the non-arabic wave dial on the 2254. Doubles as a dress watch and a tool watch. Amazing lume too.
BackToTheFutureFan
Art Connoisseur

Postby piper27 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 pm

I see http://www.stockx.com is now a medium for sellers and buyers of watches. Not just sneakers anymore
piper27
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes