The Motorcycle Thread

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby mfaith on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Didn't know this thread existed. I got my motorcycle license a year and a half ago, and got my first bike.
2009 Yamaha FZ6R with around 4400 miles when i bought it, which seemed really low for the age of the bike. The owner had a number of bikes so didn't ride it a ton, and took really good care of it.

I think it was a great choice for a first bike, at least for me. While it looks like a sports bike, this line of Yamahas are technically standards. The handles are above the triple tree and the foot pegs aren't as far back as it's sport bike cousin fz6. So the posture isn't as aggressive.
It's been a lot of fun to have. My father, who lives in Dallas and used to ride when I was a kid, tries to come down once or twice a year, and rents a Harley, and we go out west of Austin and ride in the hill country for a day. :pint:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby rka00 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:26 pm

theomont wrote:Here's my bike and my wife's bike. I have a 2009 CBR600RR Phoenix edition. I picked it up at the beginning of this past riding season and it only had 950 miles on it. Since then I put about 3000 miles on it riding the Colorado mountain roads. The first thing I'm doing next summer is putting on either Yosh or two brothers slip on exhaust. It's gonna be awesome. My wife got tired of riding on the back of mine and decided she wanted a bike too so we found a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 for her to ride around on. She's slowly building up her confidence and I think next riding season she's gonna really take off on it. My last bike was a Honda Superhawk that I actually took up to Sturgis one year. That was quite the experience. Anyway, motorcycles, fcuk yeah. I love them.

Edit: That Buell up on top of the page looks like a pretty sweet ride. Nice choice.

Love it, his and hers, awesome hobby to have with each other! And I can imagine riding in the CO mountains together would be some of the best times. Good choices on the slip-on, just probably need to decide which tone you like more. There might be some youtube vids out there. Looks like you already have a custom license plate bracket so you're all ready for the exhaust. May want to consider ditching the stickers on the swingarm :wink:
I've always been partial to the 600rr model and they're even more commuter-friendly than the older model I used to own. Had mine totally set up for me and the parts I wanted too. Worst decision I made was to sell it :crazy:
I also used to have a superhawk. Can't beat that v-twin torque, used to get the front end off the ground a bit at launching.
That's an excellent beginner bike for your wife. She'll definitely build her confidence on it. For a minute I was thinking of going in with a friend on a used 300 for the track. They're great to practice/learn on and if you crash, well, hopefully not much invested since it was used.
rka00
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:34 pm

NoseSpray wrote:Went down last year in a drymount ton of gravel to avoid some jackass in a cage.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're ok though. The worst feeling when you hit gravel and you know you can't save it.

NoseSpray wrote:I want this shiz: http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/xsr900

Brand new model I believe, this year.

2016 yamaha xsr900.jpg
2016 yamaha xsr900.jpg (153.67 KiB) Viewed 543 times

I can dig it! It's a triple?
rka00
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Damn, i really like that! It's like a slightly more upright cafe racer.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby rka00 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:47 pm

mfaith wrote:Didn't know this thread existed. I got my motorcycle license a year and a half ago, and got my first bike.
2009 Yamaha FZ6R with around 4400 miles when i bought it, which seemed really low for the age of the bike. The owner had a number of bikes so didn't ride it a ton, and took really good care of it.

I think it was a great choice for a first bike, at least for me. While it looks like a sports bike, this line of Yamahas are technically standards. The handles are above the triple tree and the foot pegs aren't as far back as it's sport bike cousin fz6. So the posture isn't as aggressive.
It's been a lot of fun to have. My father, who lives in Dallas and used to ride when I was a kid, tries to come down once or twice a year, and rents a Harley, and we go out west of Austin and ride in the hill country for a day. :pint:

Yup, I agree, I think Yamaha did a great job with their FZ line for all the reasons you mentioned. Was it classified as a standard for insurance purposes? That's another bonus. A standard WITH a full-fairing, sweet. Sounds like you found a gem, low miles and well taken care of. Congrats on that, it's not always easy to find a bike and a seller like that.
rka00
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 pm

rka00 wrote: Was it classified as a standard for insurance purposes?

Unfortunately, no. State Farm isn't as savy on these sorts of things. I think they're charging me sport bike rate.

And thanks! I've been pretty happy with it. :pint:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby rka00 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:25 pm

mfaith wrote:

Unfortunately, no. State Farm isn't as savy on these sorts of things. I think they're charging me sport bike rate.

I wasn't able to find a listing for it under Yamahamotorsports, but check out kbb, they classified it as a standard, http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/yamaha/2 ... ardcruiser
rka00
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:27 pm

rka00 wrote:
mfaith wrote:

I wasn't able to find a listing for it under Yamahamotorsports, but check out kbb, they classified it as a standard, http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/yamaha/2 ... ardcruiser

Hmm, maybe I'll give State Farm a call and verify what rate they have me on. Could be they are charging the standard rate and i didn't realize it. I didn't have a basis for comparison heh. I'll check on it. Thanks for the info. :cheers:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Yeah, I just talked to my agent, and they are classifying it as a sport, which is weird. I questioned her on it, and she said it doesn't really give her any options. She just types my VIN number into some site and it gives her all the data on my bike. And whatever that site says is fed into their system. And that shows it as sport. She's going to make a few phone calls to see if she can question/dispute that. It's honestly not all that expensive, but it would be great if i could save a bit more. :pint:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby rka00 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:49 pm

mfaith wrote:Yeah, I just talked to my agent, and they are classifying it as a sport, which is weird. I questioned her on it, and she said it doesn't really give her any options. She just types my VIN number into some site and it gives her all the data on my bike. And whatever that site says is fed into their system. And that shows it as sport. She's going to make a few phone calls to see if she can question/dispute that. It's honestly not all that expensive, but it would be great if i could save a bit more. :pint:

I can understand using the VIN, not sure how that system info was gathered though. Hope your agent can do something for you. Glad to know that it's not that expensive, insurance companies seem to charge more for "new" riders, wonder if there's a factor like "number of years riding experience."
rka00
Art Expert

Postby NoseSpray on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:56 am

rka00 wrote:
I can dig it! It's a triple?

Yep.
NoseSpray
Art Connoisseur

Postby rka00 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Cool read in the new Juxtapoz ...http://www.juxtapoz.com/news/magazine/t ... -far-gone/

Todd Blubaugh: Too Far Gone
Todd Blubaugh.jpg
Todd Blubaugh.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 394 times
rka00
Art Expert

Postby wottagunn on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:42 pm

holy fudge I was literally just doing a search for a motorcycle thread here.
one of my mates just picked up his Triumph Thruxton R. going to check it out tonight

id love to own an Indian Scout
wottagunn
Art Expert

ImageImageImage

Postby rka00 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:53 pm

Congrats to you mate, that's a beautiful Triumph! Love that café style, nice bits on there too, Brembos, upside down forks, Ohlins shock (?), and the mirror on the bar end is a nice touch keeping it clean up top (and probably more effective than the traditional mirrors).

Nice Indian, looks like a hot rod!!

wottagunn wrote:holy fudge I was literally just doing a search for a motorcycle thread here.
one of my mates just picked up his Triumph Thruxton R. going to check it out tonight

id love to own an Indian Scout
rka00
Art Expert

Postby oldgreg on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I'm hoping to get back to riding soon. I spent nearly a year with a bike as my main means of transportation, but I gradually started riding less and less after I got a brand new car.

Sadly, I let my bike sit so long that it wouldn't start when it came time for me to move. I've been spending my free days the past couple weeks tinkering on it with my buddy. After replacing the battery and spark plugs, we figured the jets in the carb were too gummed up for fuel to pass through it, so we've been messing with that lately. We got the carb out the other day, but 3 out of the 4 screws in the linkage were basically stripped. After doing my best and then taking it to a mechanic for advice, it looks like I'll have to take the carb to a machine shop to get the screws machined out.

Victory will be sweet if/when I get that baby purring again. I've gained a new found appreciation for motorcycle mechanics and their patience to work in cramped drymounting spaces lol
oldgreg
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes