The Motorcycle Thread

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby drummer7795 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Any Ebeans riders out there? For those of us in the freezing balls cold right now, spring is going to be much more awesomer after this deep freeze. For those of you already out riding, drymount yourselves. Kinda. Be safe though, and I'm jealous of your climate at the moment.

This will be my first season out on a bike, and I can't wait. Everyone who told me winter sucks more when you're a motorcycle owner, is right.

Got my permit, and soon buying a starter bike from a friend and experienced rider.

Yamaha Maxim 650

Taking a safety course in April for the insurance reduction/license waiver to get everything legal.

Post pics of your ride, your dream bike, your gear, talk shop, talk mods, talk fudge, whatever.

I'm definitely in to learning how to work on a bike, so the more suggestions and tips and how to's the better.

Choppers, crotch rockets, all bikes welcome.

drummer7795
Art Expert

FKozik wrote:see you in hell.

mistersmith wrote:If you didn't want Horkey to tear you up you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.

Postby wneff on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 am

Hey! Yamaha 650 Maxim was my first and only motorcycle, same color and everything. Fun bike.

I swore off motorcycles until the kids are all grown up, but I will ride again...
wneff
Art Expert

Postby jamesgunter on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 am

i had an 81 Heritage Softail back in school but i sold it years ago.

now whenever i get the urge to ride, my buddy has a few motorcycles with side cars so this is my current ride :D

jamesgunter
Art Expert

Postby fanboy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:11 am

My 2003 XR50. Fully tricked out for an adult rider.
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Postby wneff on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm

My wife and I are thinking of getting his and hers dual sport bikes in a few years, so we can go on backcounty tours here in the Rockies. Any Ebeaners ride dual sport?
wneff
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 pm

drummer7795 wrote:Yamaha Maxim 650

Taking a safety course in April for the insurance reduction/license waiver to get everything legal.

Post pics of your ride, your dream bike, your gear, talk shop, talk mods, talk fudge, whatever.

I'm definitely in to learning how to work on a bike, so the more suggestions and tips and how to's the better.

Choppers, crotch rockets, all bikes welcome.

You've got a great first/beginner's bike there and taking the safety course is the way to go. The beginner's course will teach you some great basic skills on a 250 (or at least that's what they gave us) and the classroom time was good to learn the techniques that you will use on your daily rides.
After you take the beginner's course, at a later time, I highly recommend the Intermediate course. We were able to bring our own bike and learn advanced techniques like panic stopping, swerving, riding very slow, etc. It's a must to know your bike and how it rides/reacts/it's personality. Take it out in an open parking lot and practice, practice, practice.

wneff wrote:My wife and I are thinking of getting his and hers dual sport bikes in a few years, so we can go on backcounty tours here in the Rockies. Any Ebeaners ride dual sport?

I ride dual sports infrequently, but when I do I ride my friend's Honda 230L. Are you a beginner? It's an easy bike to learn on, stable, low seat height, and electric start. Plenty of power for me in the dirt and can go about 65/70 (max) on paved roads.
rka00
Art Expert

Postby yostarama on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Well this is my first street legal bike...I was informed last summer it's my sons not mine!!! It's a 1979 Harley Davidson FLH.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.23 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
yostarama
Art Connoisseur

Postby wneff on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:42 pm

rka00 wrote:
wneff wrote:My wife and I are thinking of getting his and hers dual sport bikes in a few years, so we can go on backcounty tours here in the Rockies. Any Ebeaners ride dual sport?

I ride dual sports infrequently, but when I do I ride my friend's Honda 230L. Are you a beginner? It's an easy bike to learn on, stable, low seat height, and electric start. Plenty of power for me in the dirt and can go about 65/70 (max) on paved roads.

I was still a beginner when I sold my last bike a couple decades ago, so yeah...total noob. Last time, I learned enough to know I need to learn a lot more. We will def take classes when we start dual sporting. And thanks for the advice, any more you have is appreciated.
wneff
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 am

wneff wrote:
rka00 wrote:

I was still a beginner when I sold my last bike a couple decades ago, so yeah...total noob. Last time, I learned enough to know I need to learn a lot more. We will def take classes when we start dual sporting. And thanks for the advice, any more you have is appreciated.

Being a beginner, the 225-230cc dual sport is a good choice for dirt and street to get used to being "back in the saddle again." It's just great versatility.
But, if you really want to learn how to dirt ride I'd go with a 150-175cc and trade-up to more cc's later, if needed. You may not find one plated so you can ride on the street, but you'll learn how to ride dirt probably better than being on a 225-230cc. Partially due to being more confident tossing a lighter bike around and feeling more in control.

One thing to consider is that if your freeways/streets are pretty chaotic, you may find that the 225-230cc dual sport may not be enough power (on demand) for you, especially to get out of sticky situations fast. And it'll be a lot of stress on the motor winding it out all the time on the freeway. Local roads should be fine though.
rka00
Art Expert

Postby wapalms on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:59 am

Check out. http://www.advrider.com. Some terrific advice and stories on here
wapalms
Art Expert

Image Image X2

Postby mlinderer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:07 am

That Yamaha Maxim 650 is a great looking bike and I almost bought the same exact one as my first bike, but instead got a Suziki GZ250 from a friend. I'll mimic what someone else said and say that I would strongly recommend avoiding anything over 55 mph on a 250cc bike. I rode my starter bike one an Iowa interstate once for about 15 miles and it scared the fudge out of me and I never did it again. Now I'll ride my current bike, 2013 Yamaha Bolt R-spec 950 on the Chicago highways and not even flinch at the traffic.

mlinderer
Art Expert

Postby mlinderer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 am

This is why I started riding, my grandpas Harley jacket from the 1950's... probably the most sentimental item I own. I had to fight my aunts for this to make sure I wound up with it once my grandpa passed away a few years back. He had been a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast and I wish I had one of his bikes but the had all been sold years ago. I've got a Yamaha jacket of his too that is probably from the 80's that I'll post over the weekend.

mlinderer
Art Expert

Postby yostarama on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:06 am

934820_4296877074782_1949412980_n.jpg
934820_4296877074782_1949412980_n.jpg (169.58 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

Not my bikes but every year the antique motorcycle club has a national swap meet in oley Pa and this is my favorite swap meet every year. if theres ever a national antique swap meet near you go!!!
yostarama
Art Connoisseur

Postby wapalms on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 am

I've a few, been a bike nut for years.
Had this since new, 21 years
Done some long days on this one.
Just for fun
Learned to ride in the dirt which is a pretty good background, get the hang of sliding, and the falling off bit.
wapalms
Art Expert

Image Image X2

Postby fanboy on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:28 am

Anybody here race moto? I raced for a few years when I was in my early 20s. Sold my YZ 125 to buy the XR50 I posted above. I really miss racing and hope to get back at it one of these days. I'll be able to enter the vet class pretty soon so I don't have to deal with the crazy fast, out of control kids in C class anymore.
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Next

Return to Anything Goes