The Motorcycle Thread

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby mfaith on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:47 pm

oldgreg wrote:Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I'm hoping to get back to riding soon. I spent nearly a year with a bike as my main means of transportation, but I gradually started riding less and less after I got a brand new car.

Sadly, I let my bike sit so long that it wouldn't start when it came time for me to move. I've been spending my free days the past couple weeks tinkering on it with my buddy. After replacing the battery and spark plugs, we figured the jets in the carb were too gummed up for fuel to pass through it, so we've been messing with that lately. We got the carb out the other day, but 3 out of the 4 screws in the linkage were basically stripped. After doing my best and then taking it to a mechanic for advice, it looks like I'll have to take the carb to a machine shop to get the screws machined out.

Victory will be sweet if/when I get that baby purring again. I've gained a new found appreciation for motorcycle mechanics and their patience to work in cramped drymounting spaces lol

Dude! Had no idea you rode. If you get back into it, we'll definitely have to go riding some time.

Luke: that cafe racer looks sick. Love that style. :clap:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby bmd1191 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Didn't know there was a motorcycle thread. I just got my license about 2 months ago after passing the MSF course. I did pretty well in the course for having no riding experience whatsoever.

After researching nonstop on what to get for a first bike I ended up going with a Yamaha FZ6R (just like you mfaith ^^^ lol). Everywhere and everyone was telling me to get a 250 or 300 as a first bike, but I was just like every other stubborn person who starts riding and wanted to start on something I wouldn't get bored of in 3 months. So I got the FZ6R as it is about the slowest inline-4 bike you can buy, and is way more user friendly than a supersport. And the FZ6R is plenty fast for me right now. I love the upright seating position on it too. I bought a slightly used 2015 with like 1400 miles on it.

So far i'm loving riding and just practicing my turning and all around riding on the streets trying to become better and better at riding overall. I'll post up some pics of my bike tomorrow on here if I remember to take out my camera.
bmd1191
Art Connoisseur

Postby elduderino619 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 am

bmd1191 wrote:Didn't know there was a motorcycle thread. I just got my license about 2 months ago after passing the MSF course. I did pretty well in the course for having no riding experience whatsoever.

After researching nonstop on what to get for a first bike I ended up going with a Yamaha FZ6R (just like you mfaith ^^^ lol). Everywhere and everyone was telling me to get a 250 or 300 as a first bike, but I was just like every other stubborn person who starts riding and wanted to start on something I wouldn't get bored of in 3 months. So I got the FZ6R as it is about the slowest inline-4 bike you can buy, and is way more user friendly than a supersport. And the FZ6R is plenty fast for me right now. I love the upright seating position on it too. I bought a slightly used 2015 with like 1400 miles on it.

So far i'm loving riding and just practicing my turning and all around riding on the streets trying to become better and better at riding overall. I'll post up some pics of my bike tomorrow on here if I remember to take out my camera.

Congrats, most people i know will tell you to skip a 250cc. My first bike was a r6 and I'm glad i went with that first over a smaller cc engine. I was able to jump on a 600 to learn and grow into easily and quicker then I'd existed. Since then I've gotten a larger cruiser.

Any riders in san diego area?
elduderino619
Art Connoisseur

Postby rka00 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 am

oldgreg wrote:Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I'm hoping to get back to riding soon. I spent nearly a year with a bike as my main means of transportation, but I gradually started riding less and less after I got a brand new car.

Sadly, I let my bike sit so long that it wouldn't start when it came time for me to move. I've been spending my free days the past couple weeks tinkering on it with my buddy. After replacing the battery and spark plugs, we figured the jets in the carb were too gummed up for fuel to pass through it, so we've been messing with that lately. We got the carb out the other day, but 3 out of the 4 screws in the linkage were basically stripped. After doing my best and then taking it to a mechanic for advice, it looks like I'll have to take the carb to a machine shop to get the screws machined out.

Victory will be sweet if/when I get that baby purring again. I've gained a new found appreciation for motorcycle mechanics and their patience to work in cramped drymounting spaces lol

Victory will be yours and riding will be that much sweeter once your baby is up and running, hope all goes well with the wrenching! Yeah, finding a good mechanic is gold.
rka00
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:41 am

bmd1191 wrote:Didn't know there was a motorcycle thread. I just got my license about 2 months ago after passing the MSF course. I did pretty well in the course for having no riding experience whatsoever.

Congrats on passing the MSF course, I think those courses are excellent for new riders to get their feet wet. Especially if you're not sure about riding. You probably already know this, but, they also offer courses where you use your own bike. There's nothing like practicing on your own bike in a controlled environment with instructor feedback.

For all the reasons you mentioned, I think the FZ6R is a good first bike. Enjoy the ride!

I have to say though, I agree with what people were telling you about a smaller cc bike. You can always graduate to a larger cc bike. For street riding, there's a lot to take in and be aware of and for beginners throttle control on a hard hitting 600 (for example) would be one more thing to monitor and could be one more thing too many or too scary (gotta respect the bike and know your limits). Overall, I guess it can depend on the rider and what type of riding you want to do now and in the future (dirt, street, track).
rka00
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 pm

*cross post* This belongs here

RIP, Remembering Nicky Hayden , http://www.worldsbk.com/en/tribute/Nicky%20Hayden
Attachments
2017_Nicky_Hayden.jpg
2017_Nicky_Hayden.jpg (177.92 KiB) Viewed 326 times
rka00
Art Expert

Postby rka00 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 pm

rka00 wrote:*cross post* This belongs here

RIP, Remembering Nicky Hayden , http://www.worldsbk.com/en/tribute/Nicky%20Hayden

Went to Laguna Seca for the races last weekend, great tributes by the announcers, in the vendor area, and they had a track walk in his memory and to raise funds for the Nicky Hayden Memorial Fund, http://www.mazdaraceway.com/homepage-ri ... motorcycle

NHayden.jpg
NHayden.jpg (173.4 KiB) Viewed 243 times

My friend wanted #69 on top of his van so I obliged with a stencil, not sure if the tv helicopters caught this one though...

69.jpg
69.jpg (131.94 KiB) Viewed 243 times
rka00
Art Expert

Postby nortonbert on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:18 am

Ah motorcycles!
I like motorcycles ... and have done for a long time.
All photos taken on the back roads of Tasmania, some of the best roads that are anywhere.

My 1975 Mk3 Norton Commando Interstate
Norton.jpg
Norton.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 231 times

My 2007 BMW K1200R
BMW resize.jpg
BMW resize.jpg (221.21 KiB) Viewed 231 times

My 2007 Triumph Thruxton
Thruxton resize.jpg
Thruxton resize.jpg (228.93 KiB) Viewed 231 times

Cheers,
Bert.
nortonbert
Art Enthusiast

Postby Danno1 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:25 pm

I am very close to ordering the new Indian Scout Bobber.

My brother has a 1945 Indian Military.

Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby mfaith on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

That new bike's gorgeous
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby rka00 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 pm

mfaith wrote:That new bike's gorgeous

Wow, that's quite the Scout! It's gotta be one of the reasons for Indian's comeback, no?

Those are some nice bikes nortonbert and Danno. If only I had a larger garage for my motorcycle appetite.
rka00
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Anything Goes