Fundraiser for my husband

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby alison03 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey all,

I've been trying to write this post for the past few months, but it's been a hard one to do.

My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV rectal cancer over the summer with no symptoms and no family history and was almost immediately dropped by his insurance (under a pre-existing condition claim) - making our current out of pocket expenses exceed $100,000 in about 4 months. It was as simple as being totally fine one day (at least on the surface) and waking up the next to a death sentence. To be honest, we've kind of been ignoring the financial side of things, knowing that his chemo infusions were necessary to stay alive so we had no other option but to proceed - and emotionally, we could only take so much bad news at once. Because he's been unable to work since June, we've been selling off most of our poster collection, using financial aid for bills/rent (which has since almost completely run out), and living as frugally as possible (though trying to maintain a bit of normality - we bought a Mau Mau piece as our Christmas gift to each other and still go out to see a movie every now and then).

I've also been carrying on normally here and with everyday friends (almost all of whom still don't know), simply to not be consumed by cancer more than we already are (crazily enough, another family member is battling health issues that also directly affects us, but won't open that can of worms here). It doesn't bother me any longer to talk about it - but I just have enjoyed the escape from it, in a sense, and it's been nice getting to focus on something else, if only for a short time. We finally got a kick in the pants the other day, however, with a call from collections for an early bill, and knew I had to swallow some of my pride and reach out for help.

I've been in contact with a few artists and galleries who are willing to donate some pieces that I will be either raffling or auctioning (I don't know the rules but will get that figured out) - as well as helping me to spread the word on a gofundme page that was started, found here: http://www.gofundme.com/5oj8zs (a big thank you to Mitch for giving and already sharing on omgposters today).

I know it's a terrible time to post this, with what...5 days until Christmas...but anything you can do - even sharing the link, would be wonderful. I'll follow up here with some pieces that have been donated (the first is an Frankenstein original from Laurent Durieux) as they come in, likely in the new year, and appreciate everything the community has already done, whether you guys know it or not.

I'm trying to keep it short and sweet here, but please pm me if you have any questions or would like to know more.

Alison
Attachments
Optimized-Frankenstein-OG_LD.JPG
Optimized-Frankenstein-OG_LD.JPG (71.95 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
alison03
Art Expert

Postby RiotAct on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Really sorry to hear this, Ali... would love to bid on a print or two when they're all set!
RiotAct
Art Freak

Drifter66 wrote:- Sweatshirt - Horrible Gray and says "Now I have a Machine Gune too. HO-HO-HO" just like the movie. Try wearing that home on the plane through airport security!!!
:rockin:

Postby Poeschel55 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Very sorry to hear, Ali.

donated.
Poeschel55
Art Expert

Superfro33 wrote:Sorry to interrupt everybody's dick measuring...

Right now, I feel like going home, locking my door and playing FIFA

Postby Mapman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:27 pm

So sorry to hear about your husband. Don't feel like you need to go it alone, let people in and they will help. My wife was diagnosed in June with stage 3 breast cancer and once my wife was ready, she let everyone know and our friends and family have been a huge help.

Good luck!
Mapman
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Alison best of luck.

Just donated!
soam24
Art Expert

Postby iambillyg on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Best of luck. Stay strong.

PMed.
iambillyg
Art Expert

RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?

Postby JustLemieuxIt on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I hate hearing this, keep fighting and best of luck!
JustLemieuxIt
Art Connoisseur

ISO: Durieux Vertigo/Psycho Roughs from solo show-->http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=131486

Postby dasponyboy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about this horrible news. Stay as strong as you can and don't be afraid to lean on as many shoulders as you can find. Cancer sucks and I hope your husband kicks it's ass.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Postby bert on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:05 pm

That sounds terrible...my thoughts are with you and your husband, I hope he gives that cancer a proper kicking. And it makes me angry you have to worry about financial stuff when you must have so much more important things on your mind. I kicked in a few $, I wish I could give more and I hope you raise a boatload.
bert
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Into the pot...

My condolences and best of luck Ali to you and your husband. Whatever you need to curb-stomp cancer...
jkw3000
Art Expert

Image www.ifallyouwantisstout.com

Postby MooreSaxPlease on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Sucks to hear this, Alison. All the best to you and your husband!
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Postby alison03 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who has already reached out with kind words, pm'ed offering support and to send posters to kick in, and for donating. I feel so uplifted - just reading the replies on the thread has me sitting here like sobbing over my keyboard. I didn't think I felt alone - I'm active on cancer forums, and have been talking to the people at work, but I think I really was...and we are getting closer to feeling ready to open up to IRL friends and extended family to broaden that support system. Thank you again.
alison03
Art Expert

Postby pvecchi on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Our thoughts and good vibes goes out to your family
Don't be afraid to reach out to others for comfort and help.
And take care of yourself also; being a caregiver is a very hard thing in many ways.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Postby NoseSpray on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Roughness. My mother is a survivor of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and went through it during the 80s, when chemo was very immature. Just last year, she was diagnosed with skin cancer as well. I feel your pain and wish you and your husband the best of luck. Enjoy the "now" as much as possible.

:neutral:

ETA: I vote this thread to be stickied. All in favor...
NoseSpray
Art Connoisseur

Postby clem99 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:55 pm

i got no doubt plenty a shed tear has been had and will continue to be had, to anyone reading the top, count the tears and donate accordingly, all the best there alison
clem99
EB Team

Image x5 THC
GRANDFATHERED

art is the only justification for pain :)

Next

Return to Anything Goes