Can we get a Board Game subforum?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 pm

starkdesign wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:brb, getting rose king now lol! :D

Hope you got it at the sale price - now back at $18.

I did! thx again for the tip, always looking for good 2 player games! :pint:

Awesome. Hope you like it!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Good deal for someone looking for the new Balders Gate game and Betrayal (with expansion)!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/avalon-hil ... 0325434947

pricetag is $79
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Brought the game Jump Drive with me (down to Houston) and had a chance to play it for the first time this morning.

It's an engine building card game, and plays super fast (15-20 minutes for a two player game; you can play with up to 4 though); played it four times and had a blast each time. Took maybe 10 minutes to review the rules and get comfortable with all the concepts. Highly recommended as a great game when you've got limited time available.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Brought the game Jump Drive with me (down to Houston) and had a chance to play it for the first time this morning.

It's an engine building card game, and plays super fast (15-20 minutes for a two player game; you can play with up to 4 though); played it four times and had a blast each time. Took maybe 10 minutes to review the rules and get comfortable with all the concepts. Highly recommended as a great game when you've got limited time available.

This the one?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205597/jump-drive
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm

starkdesign wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Brought the game Jump Drive with me (down to Houston) and had a chance to play it for the first time this morning.

This the one?

Yep, that's the one!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 pm

my latest addition to the collection!

starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:

This the one?

Yep, that's the one!

Follow-up note on this. Introduced my wife to this game, now she wants to play it every time the kids are distracted. It's really awesome to have a game that's fun that is also super quick to play. It's really like a 10 minute game when you're playing only 2 players and they both know what they are doing.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:00 am

Thx again to iwokeinrelief for the Rose King recommendation a while back! played a few rounds this weekend with the family and love it, great simple game for 2p!

So anyone play games during the holidays/NYE events? We got in a few rounds of stuff with various people, including Agricola, Splendor, Rose King, Codenames, PIT! (ugh), and unfortunately...scattergories. I say unfortunately just because its a party game and totally relies on who you play with, and one dude we played with is a total bummer. but it was still fun (we played 4 teams of married couples, really made it interesting with a team aspect lol)

I also found a diamond in the rough at a half-price books over the weekend. total nerd moment, but got a warhammer quest roleplay book from 1995 for the low price of...EIGHT DOLLARS. been looking for that one and the rule book for years now, so halfway done! and each usually goes for $50 if you can find it! was totally geeking out at the register lol

So what did everyone else play?! Or what did you get from family/friends/yourself over the holidays? :D
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Starkdesign, great to hear you enjoyed Rose King! I love how simple the rules are for it, and how quickly it becomes complex from a strategy perspective.

As noted a couple times, I played a ton of Jump Drive (probably 20+ times) over the holiday - played a bunch of kid games as well; mostly dumb ones, but the card game Sleeping Queens is awesome and easy for young kids to pick up. I highly recommend it for families with young kids looking for a fun game.

Right before the holidays I broke out 2nd edition Mansions of Madness for the first time and had a great time with that; I love the app they developed to go along with it, though I certainly wish I had an iPad vs an iPhone for better visibility with multiple players.

Lastly, I finally played Kingdom Death and absolutely love it; will certainly be planning at least monthly sessions for that in 2018.

Also, on a dorky side note I upgraded my miniature building workspace:

iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby mattkardish on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm

one night ultimate werewolf got a lot of my time over the last few weeks. pretty fun.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby 63schoeffling on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Grabbed The Thing game... haven't played it yet.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby starkdesign on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Grabbed The Thing game... haven't played it yet.

Yeah still haven't played it yet either, that minimum player count is a hindrance for me, even though we had 8 at NYE it has to be the right group of people to play

iwokeinrelief wrote:Also, on a dorky side note I upgraded my miniature building workspace:

Nice! please tell me you have a 3d printer! with all the miniature work etc you are doing, gotta be printing stuff too, right?! (I have a printrbot and love it lol)
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Wife and I played Exit: The Game (Abandoned Cabin) over the weekend and I enjoyed it. Took us about 80 mins to complete and can only be played once so guess it's up to you if you think that's worth $13-15 but we had fun with it.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby greenhorn1 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Anyone played star wars destiny? If so, what kind of investment does it take to actually be able to play (and is it any good). There's so many different starter sets and booster packs etc. that I can't figure out what we would even need to buy.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby iwokeinrelief on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

starkdesign wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Also, on a dorky side note I upgraded my miniature building workspace:

Nice! please tell me you have a 3d printer! with all the miniature work etc you are doing, gotta be printing stuff too, right?! (I have a printrbot and love it lol)

I don't yet, but it's on my list of things to acquire sometime this year, specifically for the miniatures stuff. What do you use yours for? I haven't spent a ton of time looking into it yet, and am curious just how functional the home printers are at this point.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes