Can we get a Board Game subforum?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby kcn0 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm trying to increase my limited board game collection, and I'm looking for some input on what game I should pick next. I need something that will fill my nerd/strategy need and my wife's family/fun need. I'd like to get a game, or two, that plays well with two to four players. I've isolated me game selection to a few major games that I haven't tried:

Ticket to Ride
Dominion
7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel

Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. It is hard to select a game based solely on Amazon reviews.
kcn0
Art Expert

Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & Phlegm "Fight or Flight"

Postby infrared90s on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

ticket to ride would be my recommendation. pretty easy to pick up and play with with the family. has repeat value since you can win with different strategies. i like dominion but it takes a few games to get into it.
infrared90s
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Dominion is great but not much fun with 2 people imo. Excellent with a 4 player group through.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby iwokeinrelief on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 pm

And 7 Wonders Duel is awesome, but it's only for 2 players, you can't play with 4.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am

kcn0 wrote:I'm trying to increase my limited board game collection, and I'm looking for some input on what game I should pick next. I need something that will fill my nerd/strategy need and my wife's family/fun need. I'd like to get a game, or two, that plays well with two to four players. I've isolated me game selection to a few major games that I haven't tried:

Ticket to Ride
Dominion
7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel

Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. It is hard to select a game based solely on Amazon reviews.

Yeah out of those, TTR is the best bet IMO to go with first. Then you could try 7 Wonders? I think it even goes up to 7 players IIRC (TTR goes up to 5)

Catan is also a good entry/gateway game, or Carcassonne? Those are the usual ones to talk about with starters. I would also add Forbidden Island to the mix perhaps, its strategy mixed with co-op family fun, so you can play as a team against the game! Then level up to Pandemic if you want something MUCH more difficult lol

iwokeinrelief wrote:I don't yet, but it's on my list of things to acquire sometime this year, specifically for the miniatures stuff. What do you use yours for? I haven't spent a ton of time looking into it yet, and am curious just how functional the home printers are at this point.

Mine is mostly for random stupid stuff I just wanna print, like Han Solo's blaster, funny little toys, etc etc, but I have also printed a TON of dice towers (obsessed about them for some reason lol), and some game stuff, and a few things I have designed for people just to fix random household stuff that has broken and needs replacing (like a shower door handle, or a key FOB replacement part etc). Thingiverse is great for finding stuff to print from free files, along with a few other random sites, and there are others out there that you can pay for files that are usually even better in quality. I also use Tinkercad to design stuff, which I then sometimes post to Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/Starkdesign/designs). but I figured you working on miniatures also meant you might have one! I can geek out more if you have questions about them, learned a lot over 2 years with mine and happy to help
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am

starkdesign wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:I don't yet, but it's on my list of things to acquire sometime this year, specifically for the miniatures stuff. What do you use yours for? I haven't spent a ton of time looking into it yet, and am curious just how functional the home printers are at this point.

Mine is mostly for random stupid stuff I just wanna print, like Han Solo's blaster, funny little toys, etc etc, but I have also printed a TON of dice towers (obsessed about them for some reason lol), and some game stuff, and a few things I have designed for people just to fix random household stuff that has broken and needs replacing (like a shower door handle, or a key FOB replacement part etc). Thingiverse is great for finding stuff to print from free files, along with a few other random sites, and there are others out there that you can pay for files that are usually even better in quality. I also use Tinkercad to design stuff, which I then sometimes post to Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/Starkdesign/designs). but I figured you working on miniatures also meant you might have one! I can geek out more if you have questions about them, learned a lot over 2 years with mine and happy to help

I will certainly reach out as I get closer to getting one. I figure I'll use it for creating small custom storage options for games; nerdy terrain and scenery stuff; and probably custom bases for some miniatures. It's not a super high priority at the moment, but the printers are cheap enough now that I'll almost certainly pick one up sooner than later.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:

I will certainly reach out as I get closer to getting one. I figure I'll use it for creating small custom storage options for games; nerdy terrain and scenery stuff; and probably custom bases for some miniatures. It's not a super high priority at the moment, but the printers are cheap enough now that I'll almost certainly pick one up sooner than later.

gamebox insert stuff is something I have printed a few of for sure, tile organizer for Carcassonne, bit holder for Catan Jr, tile holder for Agricola, etc. there are tons on thingiverse.

same with scenery stuff, printed a bunch of bits for friends playing various games like Necromunda, etc.

you might also look at Fat Dragon Games stuff, i have some of their base level stuff and printed it before, its cool! http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=2567

this was early in my printing days, so some stuff on it is rougher than now, but a sample of what i did from fat dragon:
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby lemtar999 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Has anyone received a copy of Gloomhaven yet?
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm

starkdesign wrote:you might also look at Fat Dragon Games stuff, i have some of their base level stuff and printed it before, its cool! http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=2567

this was early in my printing days, so some stuff on it is rougher than now, but a sample of what i did from fat dragon:

This stuff looks really cool! Might have to start researching printers a bit more in depth...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

As if I didn't already have a massive backlog of games still to play, on a whim I picked up Ex Libris last week to play with my wife.

Full disclosure, we are both massive book nerds, so right out of the gate this was going to appeal at a minimum on a thematic level.

We've now played it twice, so I'm not able to discuss it's replayability long term, but I can at least comment a bit around my general thoughts on the game, and - with my wife really being a non-gamer (though at some point I'll have to stop referring to her as such since she's really started wanting to play a lot more over the last month) - I can comment a bit on it's depth and complexity.

To jump to the end for you TL:DR'ers: My wife and I both enjoyed this a great deal; I anticipate it being in rotation in my house for a while.

This is mostly a worker placement and collection building game; there's a neat spatial aspect to the collection also where you have to "shelve" books, and the order and placement of the book feeds into your final scoring; you also have to balance acquiring books with shelving books (as there is no limit to the number of books you can have in your hand, but they're worth nothing at the end of the game if they are not shelved). Now, that seems like a lot, but it probably took all of five minutes for me to explain the rules and final scoring goals to my wife before our first session. There were a few questions that came up during play, but mostly the rules are simple enough in execution that they don't require a ton of pre-gameplay datadump that occurs with so many games.

I've seen this described as a medium to light complexity game; I think it's pretty light in overall scope, but can certainly see it tick into the lower end of medium complexity when you start really looking at overall strategy. I can see how players get a few games under their belts and will start seeing where they're scoring well vs poorly and that a longer term strategy can start to apply to your gameplay. I absolutely annihilated my wife the first go round, but when we played last night she significantly cut into that gap, and I'm pretty sure I saw the moment (around the third round of our second game) where the strategy lightbulb went off over her head and she started playing better. I'd anticipate she'll be beating me within the next 2-3 sessions.

It currently feels like there is a lot of replayability to the game as well - there are number of librarians you can be (you get dealt two options to start the game and keep one), each with their own special ability, and those abilities can really change the way you play. Also, the locations where you can acquire books are also dealt randomly (three per round) but one location becomes permanent each round (there is an explicit rule that governs this so you can plan based on it), and that variability really changes the strategy you have to use, as some locations you'll only see once in a game, where that location might become permanent early in another game. As each location has it's own rules and benefits that it grants, just between the two games we played over the last week the "stuff" available to us each round was drastically different between games.

Lastly - and I've only played this as a 2 player game - the box states this is a 45-60 minute game; even including teaching the rules the first time our first game was completed in under an hour, and the game last night took right at 45 minutes. I love a long and involved game session, but with kids the time available to work in a game (especially at night once they are asleep) is pretty limited, so it's nice to get a fun and smart game with some depth to it that can be knocked out in an hour.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:As if I didn't already have a massive backlog of games still to play, on a whim I picked up Ex Libris last week to play with my wife.

Full disclosure, we are both massive book nerds, so right out of the gate this was going to appeal at a minimum on a thematic level.

We've now played it twice, so I'm not able to discuss it's replayability long term, but I can at least comment a bit around my general thoughts on the game, and - with my wife really being a non-gamer (though at some point I'll have to stop referring to her as such since she's really started wanting to play a lot more over the last month) - I can comment a bit on it's depth and complexity.

To jump to the end for you TL:DR'ers: My wife and I both enjoyed this a great deal; I anticipate it being in rotation in my house for a while.

Damn, hadn't seen this game before, looks sweet! and totally in our wheelhouse of stuff we love as well. Total book nerds here as well, stopping at a few HPB every trip we can lol, gotta get all my sci-fi ISO books from that NPR list

sounds like a lot of fun, and can't stress enough how great games are that can be played with just 2 people, but also with 4! Thx for the synopsis on the play, I'm totally adding this to my wishlist now lol, just hope it goes back down to list when I get it (or maybe I'll find it at a FLGS lol)
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm

starkdesign wrote:sounds like a lot of fun, and can't stress enough how great games are that can be played with just 2 people, but also with 4! Thx for the synopsis on the play, I'm totally adding this to my wishlist now lol, just hope it goes back down to list when I get it (or maybe I'll find it at a FLGS lol)

It looks like it's $10 below list on Amazon right now, right?
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:sounds like a lot of fun, and can't stress enough how great games are that can be played with just 2 people, but also with 4! Thx for the synopsis on the play, I'm totally adding this to my wishlist now lol, just hope it goes back down to list when I get it (or maybe I'll find it at a FLGS lol)

oh nice! i checked yesterday and it was up above, thx for the update!
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm

starkdesign wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:

oh nice! i checked yesterday and it was up above, thx for the update!

Awesome! It was definitely below retail when I ordered it, which is the only reason I looked it up when you had seen otherwise.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 am

Played two new games this past weekend, Downforce and the Bob Ross Art of Chill game from target lol

Downforce:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215311/downforce

Great game, easy to learn and pick up a quick game. Just needs more track boards for more variety!

Bob Ross Art of Chill:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/231696/bob-ross-art-chill-game

Fun game, really great for the pricetag ($25), and the fundamentals of it are a lot like Ticket to Ride I feel like. I would love to make custom art pieces for it using other paintings than just his work, would LOVE a modern art version...or an Andy Warhol if you were just going for a single artist lol.
starkdesign
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes