Can we get a Board Game subforum?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby starkdesign on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:29 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
starkdesign wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:What are some good 2 player board games?

It looks like Castles of Burgandy and Lost Cities are solid bets.

Patchwork, 7 Wonders Duel, Blueprints works well with 2, Bottom of the Ninth (if you like baseball), Memoir 44, Blood Bowl Team Manager (if you like football, and cheating lol), Boss Monster...

Nice, I will look into those. What about the two I mentioned... any good?

Lost Cities is fun, the rules feel complicated at first on scoring, but its easy to get the hang of

Castles of Burgundy is one I have bought...and yet to play lol

I also got Agricola...and have yet to play it. But its one that can be for 2 players also
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby starkdesign on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:48 pm

If you are ever in Waco TX, be sure to stop by the Game Closet! Just went there last night and chatted up the owner for a good 45 minutes about random games etc, was super helpful and very friendly. Picked up some pokeman cards for the kids and finally got myself a copy of Zombies!!! I've been looking for years for. Wish I could go back and get more on my list but will be sure to keep that place on my list of places to stop by whenever I can!
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby Weasel on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am

Picked up Hero Realms and a couple of Descent expansions this week. And my Rum & Bones: Second Tide turned up!

Enjoying Tsuro - great little filler game. And at the opposite end of the scale, Mrs Weasel just pre-ordered Gloomhaven, which looks immense...
Weasel
Art Enthusiast

Postby iwokeinrelief on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

Weasel wrote: And at the opposite end of the scale, Mrs Weasel just pre-ordered Gloomhaven, which looks immense...

Yeah, I've got that one pre-ordered as well - very much looking forward to that one!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Weasel on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am

I have no idea how I missed the Kickstarter for it - ticks pretty much every box I look for in a game...
Weasel
Art Enthusiast

Postby dweebofthedead on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Project Raygun & Mondo Present THE THING: INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/project-raygun-mondo-presents-the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:29 pm

dweebofthedead wrote:Project Raygun & Mondo Present THE THING: INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/project-raygun-mondo-presents-the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31

My only reservations against this are that they are pairing up with USAopoly, not a huge fan of them sometimes, but hey, its still Mondo, combo'd with the boardgames, so either way its an unexpected yet AWESOME step in the right direction lol!

Now, trying to think of other properties they are involved with right now that would make good games... :clap:
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm

starkdesign wrote:
dweebofthedead wrote:Project Raygun & Mondo Present THE THING: INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31

My only reservations against this are that they are pairing up with USAopoly, not a huge fan of them sometimes, but hey, its still Mondo, combo'd with the boardgames, so either way its an unexpected yet AWESOME step in the right direction lol!

Now, trying to think of other properties they are involved with right now that would make good games... :clap:

My only reservation is this turning into another Mondo thread :wink:

I'll almost certainly give the game a try though.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:

My only reservation is this turning into another Mondo thread :wink:

I'll almost certainly give the game a try though.

Ugh please no, this thread and the LEGO thread are my refuge lol :D
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Had the group over yesterday for a game session (around 3 1/2 hours). Received my KS copy of Anachrony (or maybe it was a late pledge, honestly can't remember) this past week (this game), so that's what we went with.

It's got a pretty complex system, so it took us close to 90 minutes to feel comfortable with the rules, but after that the system made a lot of sense, and felt pretty intuitive in action. Unfortunately the 2 hours of actual game time wasn't enough to finish a 4 player game, so we had to end early - though most of that was still just first-game-slowness. I think we're getting together again on the 12th to play again. It was a lot of fun, and is a really smart game/concept; looking forward to the next session when we're a bit more knowledgeable.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Gamewright just sent me a replacement d6 for Dragonwood since I had one that was "inflated" and not flat on the sides. Nice customer support as always!

Gonna try and play a round of Rivals of Catan during lunch with a coworker tomorrow. Anyone else do the lunch break quick game session at work?
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Finally played the first two books of the Harry Potter deck builder. Loving it.

Played it with my wife and brother, who are also huge HP fans, so that added to the fun factor for us. The first book is a easy walk, and the 2nd is pretty easy too, but I fear book 5 being a pain on the difficulty.

Thinking we are just going to play it when all 3 of us can, which is only 2-3 times a year at best, so that sucks, but its awesome if you like HP stuff!

And also made me very excited for the Knight Models miniature HP game coming soon
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:12 pm

THE THING: INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31 Game Play Testing!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-thing-game-test
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby starkdesign on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 am

I need to check out this bar in Austin where they are play testing the game, sounds cool!

and also looks MUUUUUUCH nicer than my FLGS lol
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Had a group over last night and played some games we had yet to go through.

Round 1, Back to the Future card game. Fun, very complicated concept of flipping cards on a timeline etc. made by looney labs i think, so lots of "this card negates this card negates this card" aspects
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/716 ... -card-game

Round 2, Red Dragon Inn. been waiting years to play this, was loads of fun especially since we had already been drinking somewhat lol. fun game of elimination, getting others to pass out from drinking too much or losing all their money in gambling. i lost hard.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243 ... dragon-inn

Round 3, The Grizzled. fun co-op, but super depressing lol. we actually won, which is not an occurence that usually happens I hear. but the art was super cool, very well-thought out theme.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171668/grizzled

also got to look at the Gallerist (friend brought it but didn't have time to play). damn that game is WELL DESIGNED. wanna play it asap now.
starkdesign
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes