Can we get a Board Game subforum?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby starkdesign on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Anyone played the new Catan Game of Thrones game? I keep seeing it at Target, but dammit $80 is a lot to drop on ANOTHER Catan game I feel like... might wait for a sale/clearance/deal etc...
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby starkdesign on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Also, thinkgeek is having a sale on some games, including that Centipede atari game: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kisn/? ... D=10356324

Looks like Perillo's Planet of the Apes game is part of it too FYI: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kgjr/
starkdesign
Art Expert

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image

Postby DaleCooper on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:26 am

Anyone played The Thing game from Mondo? How does it compare to Dark Moon? Can't get it in the UK but considering trying to import it.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am

DaleCooper wrote:Anyone played The Thing game from Mondo? How does it compare to Dark Moon? Can't get it in the UK but considering trying to import it.

I haven't played Dark Moon before, theme sounds pretty similar though (except for the setting of course)...

one thing to keep in mind with the Thing game, is that its a minimum of 4 players needed, but works best with a large group. Looks like DM can be played with just 3? but once again larger groups are better I assume.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks for the recommendations on lost cities and rose kings. I like both of those. Only played rose once so far and it seems good but I really like lost cities.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations on lost cities and rose kings. I like both of those. Only played rose once so far and it seems good but I really like lost cities.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed Rose King! I still need to check out Lost Cities.

Got Stuffed Fables in from my pre-order a couple days ago - looks really interesting to play with my kids; I owed my best friend a "family gift" for Christmas (thanks to both families getting sick a bunch I haven't seen them since early December) so I'm giving that to him, and ordered a replacement copy for myself, so it'll likely be a couple weeks before I can actually play it. It looks like its basically a playable choose your own adventure type story book (the game is actually in book format), and is targeted for ages 7 and up. Reviews are sparse so far, but the small amount I'm seeing is really positive.

Also ordered Race for the Galaxy earlier today based on how much my wife and I have enjoyed Jump Drive. My wife is not particularly interested in really "heavy" games, but basically anything that plays in under 60 minutes seems to work well for her.

Also got my copy of Hardback and the Paperback expansion in this week; we hadn't played Paperback in a while so we brought that out a few nights this week; probably going to add the expansion for the next few play sessions and then dive in to Hardback.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby DaleCooper on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips on The Thing. I'll pick it up eventually but it's not often I can get more than 4 to the table so probably hold of for a while (it's pretty expensive to ship to the UK).

Both versions of Lost cities are great. I prefer the board game version, which can be played with 2-4 players (but still really good with 2.

Roll for the Galaxy is a fantastic game. Never played Race.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby Nicodemus317 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I haven't seen anyone here mention 'Spirit Island' so I figured I'd give it a shout out. Easily the best game I played this year, edging out Gloomhaven and a few others. It's something like a reverse Catan, where instead of colonizing an island, you play the natural spirits of the island trying to wipe out the European invaders. It's a tad on the heavy side, but 10/10 recommended.

https://opinionatedgamers.com/2017/08/0 ... it-island/
Nicodemus317
Art Connoisseur

Postby starkdesign on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Target is doing a Buy 2 get 1 free sale this week, FYI:

https://www.target.com/c/board-games-mo ... =PriceHigh

now is the time to get 3 copies of Game of Thrones Catan for the price of 2 I guess! :wink:
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 am

FINALLY. The game I have been most excited to learn more about, the one I've been obsessed with checking weekly for any info, has been announced.

Knight Models is making a Harry Potter adventure game! Kickstarter (because those are the coolest lol HA HA)

https://www.harrypotterkickstarter.com/

:clap:
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

starkdesign wrote:FINALLY. The game I have been most excited to learn more about, the one I've been obsessed with checking weekly for any info, has been announced.

Knight Models is making a Harry Potter adventure game! Kickstarter (because those are the coolest lol HA HA)

https://www.harrypotterkickstarter.com/

:clap:

Nevermind the kickstarter route, looks like they are just going to release it via standard methods!

https://www.knightmodelshp.com/
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 am

Ordered a copy of Azul off miniaturemarket last night, been looking for that one and got it for cheaper than expected! Anyone played it?

also was looking at getting a copy of Modern Art, but passed for now, since the HP game goes live tomorrow...

and my wife got me GoT Catan for my birthday, can't wait to try it out. one bummer, is 3-4 players, no 2 player option ugh.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:47 am

Anyone get a copy of Star Wars Legion? have a friend that got it and was mentioning some stuff about the minis in particular, but looks fun. still think Imperial Assault is more my jam (love a grid system lol), but hearing good things!
starkdesign
Art Expert

Postby DaleCooper on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 am

I have yet to play all these Star Wars games. Always been a bit pricey and intimidating to start getting into!
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby starkdesign on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:16 am

DaleCooper wrote:I have yet to play all these Star Wars games. Always been a bit pricey and intimidating to start getting into!

Intimidating for sure. For me its nice having friends that buy them immediately, then learn the rules and DM for me lol

X-Wing is the most complicated of the SW games I really have gotten into. range rulers etc don't usually compute with me but this one is fun for dogfighting action

Imperial Assault is lots of fun but still grid based dungeon crawling. The only issue with it is the DM requirement, but I think there is an app out now to help aid in that
starkdesign
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes