Forget cats, let's talk about dogs!

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am

FroDawg wrote:
DonPiano wrote:
hellosir wrote:Cool thread
Have any of you guys ever had any experience with heartworms before? My dog coughed once today, and my roommate brought up heartworms. So now I'm all freaked out. Seems like the only symptoms are the cough, and being lazy. Well my dog is usually pretty lazy in the evenings, but he has always been like that
Depends on the environment you live in - if it's a mosquito heavy area then there may be a higher risk of heartworm. In Australia heartworm isn't very common, so the likelyhood of a 'cough' being heartworm is slim. The other thing as well is whether he coughs often or not. If it's one cough, I wouldn't stress. My dogs cough every so often and no problems. The other thing is if you take them for a walk and they have a shortness of breath really quickly, then yeah, get them checked out. The test to see if they have heartworm is a very simple snap test where they take a small amount of blood and test them on the spot - well, in Australia that's what we do anyhow.
We lost a puppy to HWs years ago (had them when we picked him up but didn't realize something was really wrong for a week). The most telltale signs according to our vet are lethargy and pale gums. If your dog is on HW preventative you should be fine. Wish both of you long and healthy lives.
When I was growing up we had a dog which died from heartworm. It's just terrible. Sorry to hear about your puppy as well.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
IndyDMBFan
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am

My Boys

Hudson - Black Lab and Bloodhound mix - Great dog, tons of energy and very smart...gets into everything and will not go anywhere without his Kong ball

Gus - White Miniature Schnauzer - Loves people, wants to be on someones lap constantly, but very barky...great guard dogs, not for the fact that he would ever hurt anyone, but he barks at every single sound
davemfan
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 am

hellosir wrote:Cool thread
Have any of you guys ever had any experience with heartworms before? My dog coughed once today, and my roommate brought up heartworms. So now I'm all freaked out. Seems like the only symptoms are the cough, and being lazy. Well my dog is usually pretty lazy in the evenings, but he has always been like that
i would recommend giving your dog triflexis or some other once-a-month pill to prevent worms / heart worms. It gives you peace of mind and keeps them healthy. I would never want to chance my dog getting heart worms. i will have to upload pics of my boxer later. great thread and love seeing the pics guys, keep it up.
ImageImageImage
sandman77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 am

My two girls, Gracie & Lily. My wife and I got Gracie from a breeder 7 years ago. Lily is a rescue that joined our family 3 years ago.
Both are miniature schnauzers. Great breed of dog! They are smart and very well behaved.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 am

Love the schnauzer representation here. White schnauzers are stunning dogs - they've only just come to Australia so hopefully I'll get one eventually.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
soam24
Art Freak

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 am

Superfro33
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 am

This thread rules.

Here's our 8 year old pug Paxton. She's awesome.

Philpenn
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:39 am

Brooks the bull terrier aka Spuds Mackenzie or Target dog depending on how old/young you are.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 am

DonPiano wrote:Love the schnauzer representation here. White schnauzers are stunning dogs - they've only just come to Australia so hopefully I'll get one eventually.
Had a Miniature Schnauzer myself for about 3 years, greatest dog ever. Would do anything you asked him to do, and would lay on a blanket under the desk while I worked all day long. Only bad thing about Schatz was that he was a runner... If the gate was open, he was gone. He got out of the back yard one random day and we were never able to find him. He had a collar with our number on it, but we never got a call.

Miss you buddy :heart:

Image Image Image
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 am

Sorry to hear that,Summoner. :(
Schatz looks and sounds to have been an awesome companion.

Glad you have your kitty Fitte. Sounds aces too.

My dog is a runner too. It's the husky side,an independent streak 10 miles wide.
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

OtomoChaser wrote:Sorry to hear that,Summoner. :(
Schnatz looks and sounds to have been an awesome companion.

Glad you have Fitte. Sounds aces too.

My dog is a runner too. It's the husky side,an independent streak 10 miles wide.
This was years ago that I had Schatz, I think he ran away in 2008... I moved overseas not long after that.
Image Image Image
tailsandfeathers
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 am

here is my boy Asa, have always had at least one German Shepherd and always will...

DickButt
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 am

summoner wrote: Had a Miniature Schnauzer myself for about 3 years, greatest dog ever. Would do anything you asked him to do, and would lay on a blanket under the desk while I worked all day long. Only bad thing about Schatz was that he was a runner... If the gate was open, he was gone. He got out of the back yard one random day and we were never able to find him. He had a collar with our number on it, but we never got a call.

Miss you buddy :heart:
Dude that's brutal, I'm sorry.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:11 pm

The one on the right is my little Corgi/Australian Shepherd mix, Miss Jaxie Brown. And to her left is my girlfriend's dog a Schnauzer/wirehaired Jack Russell mix, Harvey.

She is a sweetheart and loves pretty much every dog or human she has ever met. The same cannot be said for grasshoppers or sprinklers. Harvey is a at the opposite end of the spectrum. He pretty much hates any dog that is bigger than him, and any person he doesn't know. He's very protective of his little sister.

toobs
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Philpenn wrote:Brooks the bull terrier aka Spuds Mackenzie or Target dog depending on how old/young you are.
always wanted one of these, such a cool lookin dog
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.