Currency Wars, USD, YEN, Bitcoin and what it means to you.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm

ima just going to be part of the 1% - everything is too much of a hassle.
All right Hamilton!
hax0n
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 pm

pearlybaker wrote:ima just going to be part of the 1% - everything is too much of a hassle.
electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
blimeybrit
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

can someone explain bit coins a bit more? I have a friend who keeps going on about Tor and .onion and Silk Road and what not, i've gotten through and been looking at it but the whole going to my bank to buy virtual currency seems quite odd
Bickel

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:31 pm

hax0n wrote:I never have a problem shipping internationally as long as they pay by gift.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Bickel wrote:
hax0n wrote:I never have a problem shipping internationally as long as they pay by gift.
I do this too. I'll ship it however they want if they want to do this. Customs value $1, in a garbage bag, via 6 week surface mail, whatever.
hax0n
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

blimeybrit wrote:can someone explain bit coins a bit more? I have a friend who keeps going on about Tor and .onion and Silk Road and what not, i've gotten through and been looking at it but the whole going to my bank to buy virtual currency seems quite odd
electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
student42
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Codeblue wrote:
hax0n wrote: So here is what I have come up with to store/save wealth during the impending FIAT Currency paper-storm:

1) Gold & Silver Bullion - Has intrinsic value, has been a store of wealth for centuries.
2) Food/Seed - Everyone has to eat and during any crisis food prices shoot up and shelves clear.
3) Cash - Get Cash from the bank, it will be good during the initial phase of the crisis when banks close and cash is the only form of payment accepted.
4) Alt Currency (Bitcoin) - Unregulated, Encrypted, Secure, Anonymous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
Forgot the most important thing:

Come to Idaho.......its like one of these but it's a state!
ImageI like pie!
blimeybrit
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:25 pm

thanks Hax0n, that's great, going to the website the video mentions now. When i was trying to figure out how to pay on the .onion sites it seemed to be that i had to go to my bank, but perhaps that's not the case.
fnord
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:18 pm

blimeybrit wrote:When i was trying to figure out how to pay on the .onion sites
Taking a trip down the ole' silk road eh?
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
wneff
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Buy and hold strategies for the Apocalypse are inherently flawed.
blimeybrit
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 am

fnord wrote:
Trying to! I'm still flummoxed by how to buy bit coins to be honest. Guess I need to make a bank transfer?
soam24
Art Freak

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 am

silver bars is my 'investment'
fnord
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:14 am

blimeybrit wrote:
fnord wrote:
Trying to! I'm still flummoxed by how to buy bit coins to be honest. Guess I need to make a bank transfer?
The easiest way I've found is using that red phone moneygram service with mtgox. That beign said it's annoying enough that I've only done it once.
There are supposed to be some exchanges that will pull directly from your bank account but I haven't found one that worked, my bank refused the transaction.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
bkboy77
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am

interesting this bitcoin. As much as I am intrigued with the concept of an alternative digital currency, my money is still in physical precious metals.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
blimeybrit
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm

fnord wrote:
blimeybrit wrote:
fnord wrote:
The easiest way I've found is using that red phone moneygram service with mtgox. That beign said it's annoying enough that I've only done it once.
There are supposed to be some exchanges that will pull directly from your bank account but I haven't found one that worked, my bank refused the transaction.
Interesting thanks, will look into that. Yeah it seems to be a bit of a hassle, am gonna give it a go next week when back in London