World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 am

Kind of off topic, but a friend of mine said his boss won a bottle of Louis XIII at a charity thing. He was trying to figure out the value of it and I said my best guess is anywhere from $2k-2.5k. Does that sound right?
applehead
Art Expert

Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am

electrachrome wrote:
kcn0 wrote:"Pappy" or "Van Winkle"?
Old Rip "Van Winkle" (10 year) is around $325.... the breaking point for "Pappy" (15 year) is slightly north of $800. If you can wait until November, when the market floods, you can save about 15%.

Your other options would be Weller (12 year) or William LaRue Weller, which utilize the same mash as the Van Winkle line. I think your 'bang for your buck' goes to the Weller name, if you are planning to drink.
link to retail prices:
http://bourbonr.com/blog/pappy-van-winkle-retail-price/
bourbonr blog has great content
they also have a private FB page

* I have never seen any of these 'in the wild' at retail.

B.A.T. ( Buffalo Trace Antique) William LaRue Weller is widely praised as one of the best tasting bourbons, but again, I've never seen one for sale or tried it.
Thx for the info!!
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I have never had any of the BTAC. But I do love the Stagg Jr.
same here. I saw a bottle Thomas Handy a couple years ago before I got seriously into bourbon. nothing since.
I really like the Stagg Jr, but it takes a month to open up after you pop the cork. same goes for most of the high proof stuff.

I never warmed up to the Elijah Craig barrel proof though. I have the 139.something proof. the newest batch is down to 124, so I might give it another try.
Handy is awesome. GTS>Handy>Saz18>WLW>ER17 in general

I belong to the bourbon FB groups if you want me to track down any.
I belong to all those groups also. I am just too cheap to fork over that kind of money considering there is plenty of juice readily available that is down right excellent. Even some of the bottom shelf stuff anymore is fantastic. That has been one stellar point of the bourbon craze.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Danno1 wrote:I belong to all those groups also. I am just too cheap to fork over that kind of money considering there is plenty of juice readily available that is down right excellent. Even some of the bottom shelf stuff anymore is fantastic. That has been one stellar point of the bourbon craze.
I'm on Bourbonr & Booker Noe FB groups. like Danno, I'm not looking for stuff on the secondary. Plenty of decent stock that's 'somewhat' available ...and there is the trill of the chase afterall. I already have more juice on my shelf than I could drink in 3 years and a great bourbon bar a couple blocks from work if I want a taste of something rare (but I'm too cheap).
SenseiMonkeyboy1
Art Expert

Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 am

A friend just gifted me a second bottle of Balvenie 17yr Sherry Oak 2007 First Edition. :notworthy:

padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Abraham Bowman Gingerbread Cocoa Finish Bourbon is up in Pa.

.375 bottles online for $40:

ex-bourbon barrels which aged Gingerbread Stout and Foolery Imperial Milk Stout for 8 months are used to finish (17 months) Bowman 9YO bourbon.

update: sold out
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

hudson maple cask rye whiskey worth the snag? ran across it today. reviews seem mediocre.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat May 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Re stock with the basics.

stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:36 am

Willett Pot Still Bourbon and 3 Year Rye up in Pa.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Solid Spring hunting this past week! :drool:

up load photos
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:23 pm

MGP is releasing it's own bourbon now. They bought out George Remus Bourbon which was a NDP anyway. I have always wanted to try it and now MGP is upping the proof a little so I am going to head to Cincy and find some this weekend. They had interesting variations under the old NDP co so I look forward to it.
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Danno1 wrote:MGP is releasing it's own bourbon now. They bought out George Remus Bourbon which was a NDP anyway. I have always wanted to try it and now MGP is upping the proof a little so I am going to head to Cincy and find some this weekend. They had interesting variations under the old NDP co so I look forward to it.

I opened a bottle of MGP's Metze's Select a few weeks ago. Excellent stuff, but a bit pricey. (Not pricey at all by Pappy standards).
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 am

mtarail wrote:
Danno1 wrote:MGP is releasing it's own bourbon now. They bought out George Remus Bourbon which was a NDP anyway. I have always wanted to try it and now MGP is upping the proof a little so I am going to head to Cincy and find some this weekend. They had interesting variations under the old NDP co so I look forward to it.

I opened a bottle of MGP's Metze's Select a few weeks ago. Excellent stuff, but a bit pricey. (Not pricey at all by Pappy standards).
I'm a huge fan.
Too bad there are only 6000 bottles of that juice.
Danno1
Art Expert

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

MGP is rolling out their new acquisition by giving something away to those who sign up for a newsletter. No idea what it is but its free.

http://georgeremus.com/age-gate/
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Danno1 wrote:MGP is rolling out their new acquisition by giving something away to those who sign up for a newsletter. No idea what it is but its free.

http://georgeremus.com/age-gate/
Not chill filtered. I'm definitely intrigued.