World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Danno1 wrote:I like Tullamore Dew, can't wait to try a rum cask finished version.

^^^^^^^^^^
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am

SPAC04 wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I like Tullamore Dew, can't wait to try a rum cask finished version.

^^^^^^^^^^
Hate to say it, because I'm a big fan of Tullamore D.E.W. products in general, and a lover of aged rums, but I was disappointed with my first pour of this.
Don't get me wrong, it's very nice stuff, but I was anticipating something akin to a grand slam home run, and it basically tastes like Tullamore D.E.W. to me. A little more aging is apparent, but you can get that with their 12YO.

The screw-on cap was a surprise too.
As with any personal-taste-driven thing, your mileage may vary.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Broke out the wallet a tad bit this St Patrick's day and finally grabbed a Green Spot.

Image Image
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm

^^ I see your Tully XO Rum Cask is still waiting ^^

wait 'til you taste that Green Spot (it's on sale for $60 in Pa, and the Yellow Spot is only $90, also on sale this month)
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:08 pm

We are breaking open the TD this evening actually. The GS was $53 at TPS, believe the YS was $91. Best news today was TPS selected 2 different private barrels at Four Roses last Thursday and one of them is a OESV. Best recipe by a long shot I have had. Very well may have been the best bottle I have ever had bar none. Last OESV they had I probably bought 6-7 of them.
stay thirsty my friends
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Green Spot>Yellow Spot
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:48 am

Had a side by side comparison of the Tullamore Dew with the Tullamore Dew Rum finished. First impression is the TDRF is a better stock of whiskey no doubt, the graininess in the taste of TD is almost completely gone. I can't say if it is just aged a bit longer or the rum finishing that alleaves it. The TDRF has a definite banana/rum in the finish. It's slight and could easily be more pronounced by ageing to help it stand out, but it's there none the less. I actually like it, like it a lot and it has kicked the regular TD out of rotation around here. I can't see myself buying another bottle of TD considering the TDRF is quite a bit better to me for approx $9.

stay thirsty my friends
ksn
Art Expert

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:25 am

Picked these up at a really nice price off a flight catalog. Around $320 for both bottles. Haven't tried either yet but looking forward to it.

Kavalan Solist - Fino Sherry
Kavalan Solist - Moscatel Sherry

fredo
Art God

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:24 pm

He looks so peaceful.
just a foil for me today, thanks
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:45 am

ksn wrote:Around $320 for both bottles.
Nice.
In Pa. the Solist Fino alone would be $425 with tax.
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 am

Picked up my Ambassador bottle. Honestly I don't see how it can be much more then a gimmick. Is it plausible they actually have a bottle from your batch of 386 barrels dumped into a batch in the back of the gift shop? Or more plausible they just print your name on a label when you check in? Yup. And the real fail, on sale about everywhere for $26 throughout KY, but $43 at the gift shop.

Mrs Samuels was a collector of fine pewter and old cognac bottles, hence the name/bottle/wax. When I was there 3 years ago an ambassador on our tour received a really nice looking pewter badge, it did look really nice. Plus a nice certificate and a proclamation to the tour about how he is now a graduated ambassador for life blah, blah, blah. Honestly it was kind of cool. Now its a 50 cent pin and nothing else. 2 on the tour liked the pin and inquired at the gift shop, yup, they just gave them 2. Not that I care, but kind of defeats the purpose maybe.

Re arranged the tour also. No longer small, homey and personal feeling. But mass touristy, bring your money type of thing. But they have all pretty much turned into that. Which is why I kind of quit going to them anymore. Tour no longer free for veterans, now $9, down from the OG $12. Ambassador pick up was free, but anyone with you needs to pay.

ImageImage

On the way home I thought hell I fell for one gimmick, might as well fall for another. Plus its not available in OH yet so why not. One positive note on the Longbranch without even opening yet is thats its one hell of a bottle. I mean heavy thick and stout. Even more so that a Bulleit 1.75

I would also add if anyone really wants to delve into the KY Bourbon Trail, avoid weekends. Do it during the week and hunt for bourbon at the stores throughout the state on Fri-Sat-Sun.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 am

Danno1 wrote:I would also add if anyone really wants to delve into the KY Bourbon Trail, avoid weekends. Do it during the week and hunt for bourbon at the stores throughout the state on Fri-Sat-Sun.
little tip I read this weekend, when hunting in KY check out pharmacies for whiskey. Apparently it's an old loophole from prohibition days.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am

PA has become a joke and I try to buy less and less from them.

That being said.... I picked up another EC Barrel Proof and found a Yamazaki 12 for $86 on Friday! Surprised it was that cheap.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 pm

63schoeffling wrote:found a Yamazaki 12 for $86 on Friday! Surprised it was that cheap.
500 bottles in the state including a dozen in the online store - it was $75 a year or so ago.
Last ones I picked up (in 2014) were $45 so I figure I'm done buying that, lol.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm

padelimike wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:found a Yamazaki 12 for $86 on Friday! Surprised it was that cheap.
500 bottles in the state including a dozen in the online store - it was $75 a year or so ago.
Last ones I picked up (in 2014) were $45 so I figure I'm done buying that, lol.
I think across the board you can't find it under $100 shipped on the secondary. Compared to the other jacking up of items, I found this to be pretty solid, lol.

I hate the PLCB.