World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am

bmd1191 wrote:A question for my scotch lovers. I relatively new to the scotch world and have only been drinking trying different brands the last year or so. I started out with the lighter speysides like glenlivet, macallan, balvenie. Then a little while ago I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 and I really loved it. I loved the little smokey/peat taste it had on the finish as it wasn't overbearing and you could still taste the other flavors.
I'm skipping the Islay part of your post, because it is not my thing.
Only brown liquor I've found so far that I did not like.

Highland Park is a superlative dram.
I'm not sure there's many better in that price range, if any.
When you tried The Glenlivet, did you hit up their 15YO "French Oak" version?
If not, I think you will like it a lot.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but also consider some blended Scotch.
Some are marriages of 100% single malts, and even the ones that aren't are products of no small amount of expertise love and care.
As with any spirit, some you will like, some not so much.
Blends made with finer whiskies will be more expensive, of course.
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:13 pm

bmd1191 wrote:A question for my scotch lovers. I relatively new to the scotch world and have only been drinking trying different brands the last year or so. I started out with the lighter speysides like glenlivet, macallan, balvenie. Then a little while ago I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 and I really loved it. I loved the little smokey/peat taste it had on the finish as it wasn't overbearing and you could still taste the other flavors.

Anyway my question is i'm thinking about picking up a bottle of the highly regarded Lagavulin 16. I'm just wondering how big of a peat bomb is it compared to Highland Park 12. I've never had an Islay and always wanted to try Lagavulin because I know it is highly regarded. I know the obvious answer is try it at a bar or something first but there are no bars around me that have it. So since i just finished a bottle and need to pick up a new one I was thinking of going with Lagavulin.

Sorry for the long detailed post, but anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

TL;DR - Like Highland Park 12, how much more peatier is Lagavulin 16?
Highland Park is one of my favorites. Lagavulin 16 has significantly more peat in my opinion. Still good, but very different. My go to, under $50 scotch is Cragganmore 12. Very little smoke/peat, exceptionally smooth, and love the bouquet.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Ill check those out guys. Update is I bought Lagavulin 16 and really like it. I opened the bottle and it literally smelled like an ocean/rocky shore with seaweed and brine. I tried some and it was delicious. I was prepared for it to be so smokey/peaty like everyone said that I actually didn't think it was as smokey as I thought. All in all it's a good scotch, super smooth and im excited to try some other Islay's.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Searching for Blanton's Gold for one of our brethren. Any ideas where in Portugal or the U.K. (Manchester/London...flying home from Heathrow). I might find a bottle while I'm on this side of the pond? Struck out in Paris and Lisbon airports.

Thanks for any tips.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
fredo
Art God

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Been to the Kentucky embassy in Bucharest, Fro? Worst case you come away with a bucket of the colonel's and a case of immortality.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am

Stepped up from the bottom shelf last night. I have only had one shot of this ever through the years. Just hoping I can call it a poor man's Booker's.

stay thirsty my friends
FroDawg
Art Expert

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:19 pm

fredo wrote:Been to the Kentucky embassy in Bucharest, Fro? Worst case you come away with a bucket of the colonel's and a case of immortality.
Haha

I got this baby, actually twins, at Hedonist Wines in London. Damn, what a store? I straggle in from a crazy travel day with my luggage in tow and rather ragged looking. They gave me the white glove service and have an amazing inventory. Highly recommended.

Also recommend a new Indian place where I dined (ie, new to me): Dishoom
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Brother Fro did indeed deliver the goods! :notworthy:

Rock Hill Farms, Barrel Proof, Gold, and Reg blind flight coming up!
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Would love to try a Barrel Proof Blanton's someday.

Really diggin the Knob Creek, let it set out for about 20 min and am loving the unique sweetness it has. Like it so much going to grab a single barrel version this weekend.
stay thirsty my friends
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Danno1 wrote:Would love to try a Barrel Proof Blanton's someday.
If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods welcome to swing by for a pour!
Danno1 wrote:Really diggin the Knob Creek, let it set out for about 20 min and am loving the unique sweetness it has. Like it so much going to grab a single barrel version this weekend.
Honestly haven't had a pour of KC in at least forever. I'll keep it in mind next time out. :pint:
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 am

thescofieldkid wrote:Brother Fro did indeed deliver the goods! :notworthy:

Rock Hill Farms, Barrel Proof, Gold, and Reg blind flight coming up!
That’s a beautiful row of bourbon.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 am

New Midleton Release and new bottle and display that is a beauty.

"The long awaited new Midleton release for 2017 with all new packaging and a new bottle shape. The box and presentation is now just as luxurious as the whiskey inside the bottle. As always this is a complex yet gentle whiskey which is packed with juicy fruit flavours and some subtle spiciness on the finish."
dryerase
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

$10 raffle to benefit NorCal fire relief for a $10K bottle of Karuizawa 35 Year Old Whisky (shipping or pickup in CA only):
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1326322
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm

dryerase wrote:$10 raffle to benefit NorCal fire relief for a $10K bottle of Karuizawa 35 Year Old Whisky (shipping or pickup in CA only):
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1326322
Popped on this AM to confirm I had won and arrange for pickup. 8)

OK by me if they extend it out another day, awesome they've collected almost 200K!
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Pleased w/the start of the Fall season offerings found thus far.

Picked up the William Heavenhill while out in KY a few weeks back. 5th installment in the series (14 yr/115 proof), drawing from 30 barrels. Gift shop exclusive.