World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am

I didn't score anything at all this year again. Stores in N KY are still releasing their BTAC allocations and its just a mad house. Places are packed and stock on everything is low, really low.
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 am

I picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler's new wheated bourbon, Big Level, a few days ago. No sourced hooch in it. Distilled, aged, and bottled in WV. And quite good.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 pm

mtarail wrote:I picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler's new wheated bourbon, Big Level, a few days ago. No sourced hooch in it. Distilled, aged, and bottled in WV. And quite good.
I bought three bottles, as I was unaware it was their own juice.
Opened one, returned the other two immediately.

I'm a big fan of MGP.
Smooth Ambler's "Ten" and their Single Barrel releases are among my favorites.
Was totally shocked in 2015 when the first-ever MGP release, "Metze's Select" did not receive more acclaim.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Was lucky enough to find and pick up a bottle of High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram rye (never been able to grab it in years past) and my brother and his gf got me a bottle of Eagles Rare which I've never tried. Will be cracking open both this weekend.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm

avoided the hunt this year and am just drinking through the bunker. I got juice to last me through next year and then some. I might pick up this year's Midwinter Night's Dram to compare to years past.
:cheers:
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:10 am

Jack Ryan Beggar's Bush.
12 Year Old Irish Whiskey.
I recommend.

edit: Followed it up with my first dram of Proper Twelve. Was good, but not nearly as good as the Beggar's Bush.
Not all that surprising, it's almost three times the price of the Proper Twelve.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:59 am

padelimike wrote:
mtarail wrote:I picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler's new wheated bourbon, Big Level, a few days ago. No sourced hooch in it. Distilled, aged, and bottled in WV. And quite good.
I bought three bottles, as I was unaware it was their own juice.
Opened one, returned the other two immediately.
Smooth Ambler bottles all of its stuff with sourced hooch with under its "Old Scout" sub-label. (I agree that they seem to get ahold of some of the best barrels that MGP puts out for the Old Scout label).
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 am

mtarail wrote: Smooth Ambler bottles all of its stuff with sourced hooch with under its "Old Scout" sub-label. (I agree that they seem to get ahold of some of the best barrels that MGP puts out for the Old Scout label).
I thoroughly enjoyed Contradiction Bourbon, that one's in-house.
Saw "Smooth Ambler" and "Wheated Bourbon" and pulled the trigger when I found out there were only 48 bottles for the entire state. That kind of thing typically goes fast. I'm going to assume it got lukewarm reviews or worse, because there are still 4 bottles left after almost 2 months.

You can imagine MGP would pick some of the best of their best for the first-ever release of their own brand - Metze's Select - only 6000 total bottles.

It's from 2015, possibly hard to find at this point.
jjbehren
Flipper

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:53 pm

jjbehren wrote:I was just going back through this thread a little. How was that Caribou Crossing? I'm a bit curious about that one. Is my understanding correct that it is essentially Blantons ingredients distilled as a Canadian whiskey? I've been keeping my eye out for it lately, regardless.
Update: It turns out that one of the best whiskey shops in the country, which happens to be 10 minutes from my house, got a single barrel selection of Caribou Crossing. For a Canadian, it's amazing. Delicious and maybe too easy to drink neat. As you would expect from a Canadian whisky, it's missing that oak layer to the flavor, but it's a great supplement to a bourbon-heavy collection.

https://www.acespirits.com/buy-caribou- ... iskey.html

Adding a good Canadian Whisky to the bar now has me wanting to add a good Irish Whiskey or two to the mix. I've heard Powers is a good place to start. I have access to the Gold Label, Signature, and John's Lane. Maybe I'll have to look for that Jack Ryan Beggars Bush, too. A local shop had a Jameson 18 year that I passed on. It seemed a bit advanced for a Irish noob.

Also, I happen to be in the right place at the right time yesterday to pick up an Elijah Craig 18 year. Pretty pumped about that one.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 am

Oh damn, I have heard a lot of great things about Caribou. Place in N KY has a private barrel with 2 bottles left according to their website. Think I am driving down there in a bit.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Danno1 wrote:I have heard a lot of great things about Caribou. Place in N KY has a private barrel with 2 bottles left according to their website. Think I am driving down there in a bit.
I was fortunate enough to grab some when it closed out here in Pa. For $32.
It is not a private selection, but still Single Barrel.
100% viable as a sipper.
Thanks for reminding me - I haven't had any in months.
jjbehren wrote: Adding a good Canadian Whisky to the bar now has me wanting to add a good Irish Whiskey or two to the mix. I've heard Powers is a good place to start. I have access to the Gold Label, Signature, and John's Lane. Maybe I'll have to look for that Jack Ryan Beggars Bush, too. A local shop had a Jameson 18 year that I passed on. It seemed a bit advanced for a Irish noob.
Jameson 18 is as smooth as you might expect, but it is mainly just that - the flavor profile is dull dull dull.
Their Gold Reserve is the most complex "common" spirit they offer, followed by the (discontinued) 12 Year Old.
You did the right thing passing on the 18 Year - almost tastes more like a cordial than a proper Irish Whiskey.

If you're looking for some great, commonly available Irish:
Green Spot
RedBreast 12 Year
Tyrconnell (variety of finishes)
Knappogue Castle 12 Year
Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix (110 proof)

If you're an American Whiskey fan, give "Brothership 10 Year" a try - it's an American-made whiskey, but made in Irish Whiskey style, and you can taste the Irish AND the 10 years of aging.
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Somehow seeing this thread reminded me of the upcoming lottos for the Van Winkle series and the ongoing bourbon lottos through VA ABC.

Thanks, whiskey thread.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I'm still searching hard for a Four Roses 130. Anyone have any luck with that one this year? I know the first round already dropped around these parts, but there are rumors of a second round from the other 4R distributor in town.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:34 pm

jjbehren wrote:I'm still searching hard for a Four Roses 130. Anyone have any luck with that one this year?
Small allocation and didn't get one here in OR. After tasting it, I had to track one down, it's wonderful as always. Traded a Weller CYPB for one on the secondary.

Overall a very lean year for allocations here. Feeling lucky to get the pulls I've had thus far.

Collect them all. Before you Die®
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:05 am

Nice haul, there. I love that EC23. I scored 2 bottles of the 18, but haven't seen the 23 this year.