World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm

jjbehren wrote:I had a sample of the Bulleit Barrel Strength the other day. That stuff surprised me. Very heavy cherry smell and cinnamon flavor.
I love the Bulleit BS. It just has went up in price by $14 so I kind of have stopped getting it. Every time I set out to pick it up I always grab the regular Bulleit 1.75l for $12 less.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am

Pa. People - A Midwinter Night's Dram is up in the online store!
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

padelimike wrote:Pa. People - A Midwinter Night's Dram is up in the online store!
After this recent lottery joke, I really am done buying most of my liquor in PA now. It's so hard to support these clowns.... I can't figure out their logic but basically this is what happens when you let the govt run something they have no idea how to run.

Also, Jeff 16 is a hard pass... not sure why that isn't lottery but ETL is? Bizarre.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm

63schoeffling wrote: After this recent lottery joke, I really am done buying most of my liquor in PA now. It's so hard to support these clowns.... I can't figure out their logic but basically this is what happens when you let the govt run something they have no idea how to run.

Also, Jeff 16 is a hard pass... not sure why that isn't lottery but ETL is? Bizarre.
I stopped being a good customer here over another matter.
They must have recently added a new top dog or something, who is all about making more money.
Gone are the days of MSRP for high-demand items.
Gone are the days of "if you are diligent, you CAN get them all"

The Jeff16 was an easy pass for me - I'll never open a bottle I paid more than $200 for.
Danno1
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:54 pm

padelimike wrote:
63schoeffling wrote: After this recent lottery joke, I really am done buying most of my liquor in PA now. It's so hard to support these clowns.... I can't figure out their logic but basically this is what happens when you let the govt run something they have no idea how to run.

I stopped being a good customer here over another matter.
They must have recently added a new top dog or something, who is all about making more money.
Gone are the days of MSRP for high-demand items.
Gone are the days of "if you are diligent, you CAN get them all"

The Jeff16 was an easy pass for me - I'll never open a bottle I paid more than $200 for.

Surprised to hear this, you used to love the state system. Need to send a letter to your local state congressperson and governor.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Danno1 wrote:you used to love the state system
I really did, but in the first half of 2017 they retroactively changed a rule specifically to cheat me out of $400 that I was entitled to, based on their posted policies.

So in saving that one-time outlay of $400, most of which would have ended up back in their pocket, they caused me to stop spending thousands annually collecting liquor.

Did me a huge favor, to be honest.
My OCD for buying booze was just as bad as another one I kicked a few years ago - collecting posters.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Cracked open the Slaughter House American Whiskey last night. Disappointed, very grainy on the nose and pretty much offered me nothing else at all. Going to have to recommend that one as an easy pass to everyone. Nephew in NYC scored a bottle that a bar in NYC just released. $35 so worth a shot.

Image Image
stay thirsty my friends
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am

Looking forward to getting stuck into these. I just need go on an OS trip so i can call past the duty free shop to pick up the MasterClass 8.2; which is travel retail exclusive.
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 pm

The duty free at the Cincinnati airport has a frickin serious collection of booze! But they are like stormtroopers for letting anyone in to even just look w/o an international ticket. I mean serious about letting people in, like 2 people 'we need to see your ticket or we are calling the police" serious! They wont even reveal prices! I spoke with a worker a tad bit outside trying to gauge prices and he was very friendly just not allowed to let me in at all or reveal prices.

The duty free at the Denver airport was a complete joke. Absolutely nothing beyond the very, very basics of Jack, Turkey and Beam and way overpriced. And they let anyone in to look.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm

I like Tullamore Dew, can't wait to try a rum cask finished version.

stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 am

Danno1 wrote:I like Tullamore Dew, can't wait to try a rum cask finished version.

Just hit Pa - $30.00
Really looking forward to it.

I like "regular" D.E.W. more than "regular" Jameson.
Their 10YO Single Malt and 110 proof Phoenix are first-rate.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Have you tried the TD Cidar Cask Finished? Its $44 here so I haven't given it a shot.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 am

Seems as if the Irish Whiskey craze must be growing rather hot. TPS in Cincy went from about 10 selections of different brands to 40-50! A whole lot have just been introduced seeing as St Patricks Day is this weekend. The Sexton was on sale for $20 so I figured I would try it. Off this weekend, may head down to KY and check out a newer distillery or two and scout some off the path stores.

stay thirsty my friends
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

Little blend here, more tequila than whiskey but thought interesting as finished in barrels used for Irish Whiskey. Ordered a bundle as this is one of my favorite tequila's and a great sale going on through their site right now.

El Carbonzado Gran Reserva 6yr - https://www.atequila.com/el-carbonzado- ... xtra-anejo
"Using 100% premium Blue Weber Agave, we age our blanco tequila for 5 years in new French oak barrels, enriching this tequila with notes of vanilla, caramel, toffee and oak, while clarifying this juice to a succulent smooth finish.

We then do the unthinkable and double barrel rest this liquid gold in premium medium char american oak casks previously used to house one of the worlds highest rated Irish Whiskies."
applehead
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

I got hooked up with a bottle of Stranahans Snowflake (Quandry) in December, and I'm about to open it in a week or two when my first baby girl is born. Can't wait to share that bottle with friends!