World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:10 am

I tried the Granddad bonded. I liked Granddad 114 pretty well, so I went in with an open mind. You can't trump sentimental reasons for liking a whiskey, and your friend's recommendation stands. When I tried the bonded I liked it OK until I taste tested it against a bottle of WT 101; it was no-contest imo. After that I dumped the old granddad.
Danno1 wrote:Recommended by an elderly african american lady on my route. Only thing her father would drink, so only thing she will drink. Good enough recommendation for me.

Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 am

It's hard to beat WT 101. Really just about the Gold Standard for bourbon, all others should be compared to it first.
stay thirsty my friends
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I need to pull a pic together of everything I scored in 2017. To say I had a good bourbon year (in terms of the chase/hype stuff) is an understatement. I didn't get into bourbon/whiskey really until fall of 2016 and was bitter I missed out on pretty much everything that year. I worked my ass off building relationships with liquor store guys and entering raffles across the Twin Cities and it paid off. It doesn't hurt that I now "work from home," so I have more time to devote to stupid fudge like bourbon.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm

jjbehren wrote:I need to pull a pic together of everything I scored in 2017. To say I had a good bourbon year (in terms of the chase/hype stuff) is an understatement. I didn't get into bourbon/whiskey really until fall of 2016 and was bitter I missed out on pretty much everything that year. I worked my ass off building relationships with liquor store guys and entering raffles across the Twin Cities and it paid off. It doesn't hurt that I now "work from home," so I have more time to devote to stupid fudge like bourbon.
Was a wonderful year of chasing bourbon here, and had a strong finish to the season too. Hope you do share some of your pickups!

I'd like to dedicate 2018 to adding some Willett to my collection. If anyone sees some or has some to part with, please keep me in mind!

Don't think I'm ready to make the leap of faith of buying/selling/trading juice via these online bottle sites (bottle blue book, etc).
Collect them all. Before you Die®
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 pm

thescofieldkid wrote:
jjbehren wrote:I need to pull a pic together of everything I scored in 2017. To say I had a good bourbon year (in terms of the chase/hype stuff) is an understatement. I didn't get into bourbon/whiskey really until fall of 2016 and was bitter I missed out on pretty much everything that year. I worked my ass off building relationships with liquor store guys and entering raffles across the Twin Cities and it paid off. It doesn't hurt that I now "work from home," so I have more time to devote to stupid fudge like bourbon.
Was a wonderful year of chasing bourbon here, and had a strong finish to the season too. Hope you do share some of your pickups!

I'd like to dedicate 2018 to adding some Willett to my collection. If anyone sees some or has some to part with, please keep me in mind!

Don't think I'm ready to make the leap of faith of buying/selling/trading juice via these online bottle sites (bottle blue book, etc).
Are you looking for the Estate Ryes and Bourbons? Or the Pot Still Bourbon? The Pot Still sits on some shelves around here, but the Estate Rye (3 year) gets bought up pretty fast. The Estate Bourbon and older Estate Ryes are just myths...
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm

jjbehren wrote:Are you looking for the Estate Ryes and Bourbons? Or the Pot Still Bourbon? The Pot Still sits on some shelves around here, but the Estate Rye (3 year) gets bought up pretty fast. The Estate Bourbon and older Estate Ryes are just myths...
Myths and unicorns are the order for the year! Anything from the Family Estate, 5+ yrs out. :drool:
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm

thescofieldkid wrote:
jjbehren wrote:Are you looking for the Estate Ryes and Bourbons? Or the Pot Still Bourbon? The Pot Still sits on some shelves around here, but the Estate Rye (3 year) gets bought up pretty fast. The Estate Bourbon and older Estate Ryes are just myths...
Myths and unicorns are the order for the year! Anything from the Family Estate, 5+ yrs out. :drool:
Yes, those are unicorns around these parts.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Yeah the Willet Rye's are difficult to get around here also, from Dayton through N Kentucky. I saw that Willet also just put out a barrel proof bourbon of their own production, in the estate bottles also.

I am digging the OGD Bonded! Good stuff. Also stocked back up on the 1st, pleasantly surprised to see a couple places in N KY pretty well stocked. Thought the shelves would have been drained.

Also noticed that one place has actually sold a lot of the Knob Creek 25 anniversary. Last time I was there it was stocked with at least 50+ bottles at $135, appears to be down to about 10 bottles so it must have been a popular stocking stuffer.

Have an order in for The Dubliner Irish Whiskey that has been aged in bourbon barrels.

stay thirsty my friends
fredo
Art God

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Friend muled this in from the motherland for Xmas. Had no idea it existed- tasty nonetheless!
just a foil for me today, thanks
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 am

jjbehren wrote:It doesn't hurt that I now "work from home," so I have more time to devote to stupid fudge like bourbon.
What happened? No more clerking?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

Codeblue wrote:
jjbehren wrote:It doesn't hurt that I now "work from home," so I have more time to devote to stupid fudge like bourbon.
What happened? No more clerking?
No. I've been "working from home" for about 18 months now. That's in quotes because I'm basically full-time stay-at-home-dad. This explains why I'm not on these here boards as much as I used to be. The government no longer pays me to sit in front of a computer all day.

Picture of bourbon coming soon...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I didn't hunt much this season. Mid-Winter's Night Dram was the only seasonal I found. I reckon I've got some 2 dozen various bottles bunkered and that's enough to last me several years. I had planned to do some hunting while down here in FL but it never panned out. the only thing I picked up was a bottle of Little Book, Fred Noe's first offering in the spirit of his dad, Booker. I've been looking and hadn't be able to find it up in MA.

I just copped this image off FB
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:29 pm

electrachrome wrote: the only thing I picked up was a bottle of Little Book, Fred Noe's first offering in the spirit of his dad, Booker.
You won't be dissapointed Chrome! The Little Book is much more interesting than the last few Booker's released @ only 6ish yrs old IMO. I'm not generally a fan of blends, but Jr. pulled it off. Starts w/a nice heat, the malt follows and than the sweet from the 13 yr corn hits the palate. Interesting and enjoyable from start to finish.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Final pulls for 2017. 8)
image host sites

The Hibiki 12 yr and Laphroaig 18 have both been discontinued and were delivered from a friend who sniffed them out while in KS almost 2 yrs ago. Took them awhile to make it to OR.

The Caol Ila 18 yr hasn't been available in the states for a few yrs, recently only available in Japan.

Wonderful year for BTAC. Only 36 bottles of the Eagle Rare made it to OR, stoked to have landed one!
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:41 pm

^^^ Holy crap. Talk about the dream BTC trifecta!
Yeah, I went a bit ham this fall. I came back from Italy/Dublin and was determined to build out a solid liquor and wine collection so bought a proper cabinet , etc and started filling them.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."