World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 pm

kcn0 wrote:Saw two ORVW 25s.... they are real!! I wanted to buy them sooo bad.
What were they selling for?
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 am

jrsheppa wrote:
No price on them... quickly sequestered into the abyss. I assume that they will get, or maybe were, picked up by some internal/VIP for retail.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed May 03, 2017 6:47 pm

kcn0 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
No price on them... quickly sequestered into the abyss. I assume that they will get, or maybe were, picked up by some internal/VIP for retail.
Too bad. If they had been retail, buy buy buy
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

I've really been enjoying my bottle of Henry McKenna 10yo bottled in bond single barrel. Really good juice.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 am

Pa People - Stagg Jr and a couple of "new" Whistle Pigs are up online

only a small amount of the Stagg
applehead
Art Expert

Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 am

How much could one expect to pay for a bottle of Pappy, cheapest/newest available? Just curious. Makers Mark drinker mostly here and never gotten into the small batch stuff but it's starting to peak my interest.
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

applehead wrote:How much could one expect to pay for a bottle of Pappy, cheapest/newest available? Just curious. Makers Mark drinker mostly here and never gotten into the small batch stuff but it's starting to peak my interest.
"Pappy" or "Van Winkle"?
Old Rip "Van Winkle" (10 year) is around $325.... the breaking point for "Pappy" (15 year) is slightly north of $800. If you can wait until November, when the market floods, you can save about 15%.

Your other options would be Weller (12 year) or William LaRue Weller, which utilize the same mash as the Van Winkle line. I think your 'bang for your buck' goes to the Weller name, if you are planning to drink.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am

kcn0 wrote:"Pappy" or "Van Winkle"?
Old Rip "Van Winkle" (10 year) is around $325.... the breaking point for "Pappy" (15 year) is slightly north of $800. If you can wait until November, when the market floods, you can save about 15%.

Your other options would be Weller (12 year) or William LaRue Weller, which utilize the same mash as the Van Winkle line. I think your 'bang for your buck' goes to the Weller name, if you are planning to drink.
link to retail prices:
http://bourbonr.com/blog/pappy-van-winkle-retail-price/
bourbonr blog has great content
they also have a private FB page

* I have never seen any of these 'in the wild' at retail.

B.A.T. ( Buffalo Trace Antique) William LaRue Weller is widely praised as one of the best tasting bourbons, but again, I've never seen one for sale or tried it.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 pm

electrachrome wrote:
kcn0 wrote:"Pappy" or "Van Winkle"?

link to retail prices:
http://bourbonr.com/blog/pappy-van-winkle-retail-price/
bourbonr blog has great content
they also have a private FB page

* I have never seen any of these 'in the wild' at retail.

B.A.T. ( Buffalo Trace Antique) William LaRue Weller is widely praised as one of the best tasting bourbons, but again, I've never seen one for sale or tried it.
Its okay, I like GTS better
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 pm

electrachrome wrote:B.A.T. ( Buffalo Trace Antique)...
lol ...so close
acronym fail

BTAC - Buffalo Trace Antique Collection
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue May 09, 2017 4:47 pm

I have never had any of the BTAC. But I do love the Stagg Jr.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Danno1 wrote:I have never had any of the BTAC. But I do love the Stagg Jr.
same here. I saw a bottle Thomas Handy a couple years ago before I got seriously into bourbon. nothing since.
I really like the Stagg Jr, but it takes a month to open up after you pop the cork. same goes for most of the high proof stuff.

I never warmed up to the Elijah Craig barrel proof though. I have the 139.something proof. the newest batch is down to 124, so I might give it another try.
mtarail
Art Expert

Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I've been lucky enough to get some Pappy and BTAC stuff. It's very good, but there's plenty of stuff that's readily available that's great too. The aftermarket prices on that juice are just ridiculous.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I have never had any of the BTAC. But I do love the Stagg Jr.
same here. I saw a bottle Thomas Handy a couple years ago before I got seriously into bourbon. nothing since.
I really like the Stagg Jr, but it takes a month to open up after you pop the cork. same goes for most of the high proof stuff.

I never warmed up to the Elijah Craig barrel proof though. I have the 139.something proof. the newest batch is down to 124, so I might give it another try.
Handy is awesome. GTS>Handy>Saz18>WLW>ER17 in general

I belong to the bourbon FB groups if you want me to track down any.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 pm

mtarail wrote:I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I've been lucky enough to get some Pappy and BTAC stuff. It's very good, but there's plenty of stuff that's readily available that's great too. The aftermarket prices on that juice are just ridiculous.
I think they are with the prices for GTS and Handy. Although at those prices, I like 1990s 8/101 better.