World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
time
Art Expert

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Danno1 wrote:
jjbehren wrote:
Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
Yeah I have never seen a Private Barrel of ER until this. Is this something new anyone know?
I've had a few private barrel ER (10 year) bottles in the past from a few places. It's hit or miss whether they are good, of course, but fun to try them. Haven't seen any lately (but haven't really been looking).
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 pm

time wrote:
Danno1 wrote:
jjbehren wrote:
Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
Yeah I have never seen a Private Barrel of ER until this. Is this something new anyone know?
I've had a few private barrel ER (10 year) bottles in the past from a few places. It's hit or miss whether they are good, of course, but fun to try them. Haven't seen any lately (but haven't really been looking).
There are many distillers that do this, get to know your shop and their taste and you can land the best barrels from all over.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 am

Yeah I have had many, and I mean many private barrel selections over the years. I am a sucker for any Four Roses OE-- recipe. Just have never seen or even heard of Eagle Rare offering private barrels, but ER is fairly hard to get around here.
stay thirsty my friends
taylorph
Art Expert

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:48 pm

I've been sipping my way through a few bottles of rye whiskey and I'm looking for a suggestion for the next bottle. Usually I'm in at around $50-100 bottles.
Lately I've tried a few bottles from Pendleton and I'm about to finish a Wistle Pig 10 year. Anything else I should look into trying?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:39 pm

taylorph wrote:I've been sipping my way through a few bottles of rye whiskey and I'm looking for a suggestion for the next bottle. Usually I'm in at around $50-100 bottles.
Lately I've tried a few bottles from Pendleton and I'm about to finish a Wistle Pig 10 year. Anything else I should look into trying?
Angel's Envy - rum forward rye
I like MGP juice, so I'd also recommend High West products, if you've not delved.
Bourye is pretty neat.

any Willett you can find, of course, but you probably knew that
jmagee87
Art Expert

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:05 pm

If you can find a bottle of Midwinter Night’s Dram then get on it. Not only is it my favorite rye, it’s my favorite whiskey.
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:42 pm

jmagee87 wrote:If you can find a bottle of Midwinter Night’s Dram then get on it. Not only is it my favorite rye, it’s my favorite whiskey.
I’ve seen this and was interested but when I read up on it saw hints of cinnamon mentioned. Would you say the cinnamon was overpowering or spiced it up too much or more a background note?
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:56 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:If you can find a bottle of Midwinter Night’s Dram then get on it. Not only is it my favorite rye, it’s my favorite whiskey.
I’ve seen this and was interested but when I read up on it saw hints of cinnamon mentioned. Would you say the cinnamon was overpowering or spiced it up too much or more a background note?
people say a lot of things when trying to explain the flavors of whiskies - I never put too much stock in them, even "distiller's notes"

Can't get it here, but I've had a taste - SO great. There are multiple releases of this and every one of them will taste slightly different.
Yippee-Ki-Yay was awesome too, and really everything they put out.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Yeah I don’t put much stock in that stuff. I’m terrible about noting exactly what flavors I taste. My friend can’t stand MND because he says all he tastes is dill. It’s I don’t get that at all when I drink it. It’s definitely wittth buying a bottle though if you’ve never had it.
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Great I definitely understand thanks for the additional feedback. I’ll have to check it out.
time
Art Expert

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:35 am

taylorph wrote:I've been sipping my way through a few bottles of rye whiskey and I'm looking for a suggestion for the next bottle. Usually I'm in at around $50-100 bottles.
Pikesville
High West Rendezvous Rye
High West Midwinters Night Dram
Colonel EH Taylor Rye
Willett
Angel's Envy
Russell's Reserve
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 am

If you can find it, buy this:

https://kentuckyowlbourbon.com/#releases/straight-rye

I scored some, but haven't tried it yet. People who I trust say it's amazing.

Price is between $130 and $175 though, so not cheap. And it might just be internet hype. It's Kentucky Owl's first wider release. They were recently purchased by Stoli. And they're a NDP (non-distiller producer, meaning the rye is sourced). Regardless, I was just talking to someone that was at a rye tasting and everyone there agreed it was basically 1a to Handy (not sure which year).

And the internet hype continues.
infrared90s
Art Expert

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

try to find the owl, just hit socal last week and probably your area this week. and also parker's heritage. weller is also a good option if you can find it.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm

jjbehren wrote: I was just talking to someone that was at a rye tasting and everyone there agreed it was basically 1a to Handy (not sure which year).

And the internet hype continues.
more commonly described as a two year younger version of the same juice that went into Booker's Big Batch Rye

(people say a lot of things)
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:48 pm

taylorph wrote: Anything else I should look into trying?
These are all solid daily drinkers and should be readily available in any decent shop.
EH Taylor-100 proof, $75
Pikesville- 110 proof, $50
Michter's-85 proof, $45
Sazerac--90 proof, $35

Barrell just released their 1st rye expression (4.5 yr cask strength/117 proof) and I can't stop drinking it. $90

Never pass on anything that Willett releases! Even the 3 yr rye ($60) is great.

Neither will be daily drinkers, but agree about the High West Midwinter's Dram ($120ish) being fantastic, worth the hunt and hitting shelves now.

Same w/the KY Owl ($130).

Let us know what you get into. :pint:
Collect them all. Before you Die®