Let's talk about cats - yea i said it!

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby ColonelCash on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:11 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
ColonelCash wrote:Any solutions to keeping a cat from throwing up food? My parent cat does this, highly annoying. I'm aware there is a difference between hairballs and food upchuck. This is mostly food. We've tried all different kinds of dry food to no avail.

Is your cat eating too fast? My dog had this problem for awhile so we had to buy her a "maze" bowl.

Will give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion.
I use a similar method on my dog, but instead of a bowl, I just toss a KONG in his bowl so he has to slow down eating.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Postby Navinabob on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:42 pm

ColonelCash wrote:
cmatthews11 wrote:
ColonelCash wrote:Any solutions to keeping a cat from throwing up food? My parent cat does this, highly annoying. I'm aware there is a difference between hairballs and food upchuck. This is mostly food. We've tried all different kinds of dry food to no avail.

Is your cat eating too fast? My dog had this problem for awhile so we had to buy her a "maze" bowl.

Will give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion.
I use a similar method on my dog, but instead of a bowl, I just toss a KONG in his bowl so he has to slow down eating.

I don't free feed my cats. I sprinkle kibble on the floor and they have to pick up each one separately to eat. Usually this'll keep them from throwing up their food.
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Postby bulkhead72 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:32 pm

ColonelCash wrote:We've tried all different kinds of dry food to no avail.

What about wet food? Dry food isn't great for cats. Try a brand like Weruva and add a little water to their food. That way, they (are forced to) stay hydrated and take their time finishing their food.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Check out my auctions.

Postby dskdaniel on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 pm

The same asshole cat I mentioned earlier that gets urinary stones also would constantly throw up food. Since we moved the other month he doesn't seem to do it as frequently, so maybe more space has chilled him out a bit, but he still does it on occasion. We have two other cats, but I have an automatic feeder thing that dumps out food 3 times a day so he never seems to be without food. I think he just eats too fast because he's a big idiot. I bought some digestive enzyme for pets powder stuff and I'll try to sprinkle some in the food if I see him throw up. I don't know if it helps or not.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Postby evilpresence on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Our cat eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness. The dry is available all the time and she gets wet once or twice a day depending on how I feel.

My mom's cat eats Science diet sensitive stomach dry food and Natural Balance wet food.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Postby ColonelCash on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:52 am

bulkhead72 wrote:
ColonelCash wrote:We've tried all different kinds of dry food to no avail.

What about wet food? Dry food isn't great for cats. Try a brand like Weruva and add a little water to their food. That way, they (are forced to) stay hydrated and take their time finishing their food.

We've tried some wet food, or food in the little pouches, whatever that is called. Haven't mixed water with food, that is a good idea. Cat is fed a few times a day by an auto-feeder. Tried a bunch of different brands, some works for a period and then stops. I don't live there, so not sure what is going on all the time. It's not a space issue, house is plenty big for a cat. Probably need to take the cat to the vet at some point and get a check up since it hasn't been in ages.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Postby john38103 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Some cats just barf more. My cat is 16 and I tried a million foods throughout her life to try and curtail it but the best remedy I ever found was smaller portions and more feedings. That didn't erase it 100% but it made a huge improvement.
john38103
Art Expert

Postby taylorph on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 pm

My 16 year old cat decides to throw up in an inconvenient spot anytime she's upset.

Litter box too full? Here's some puke in your sock drawer.
Gone for 2 days? Here's some puke on your pillow.
You let the dog upstairs? Here's some puke in your slipper.
taylorph
Art Expert

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Postby smokeycat on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 am

two sketches received recently.
very happy with both!
my avatar Smokey by Mark Englert
Smokeycat Englert resized.jpg
Smokeycat Englert resized.jpg (78.23 KiB) Viewed 851 times

and a RAID71 sketch of our two cats
smokeycat
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby smokeycat on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Max & Leo
Both rescues, both awesome cats!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.79 KiB) Viewed 720 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 720 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.28 KiB) Viewed 720 times
smokeycat
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby zefarrett on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:55 pm

taylorph wrote:My 16 year old cat decides to throw up in an inconvenient spot anytime she's upset.

Litter box too full? Here's some puke in your sock drawer.
Gone for 2 days? Here's some puke on your pillow.
You let the dog upstairs? Here's some puke in your slipper.

Cats can be such assholes. :lol:
zefarrett
Art Freak

Image Image me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)

Postby FrankBooth on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:45 pm

My girl Khatula (Ha-Toola) She's about 8 now.

She's had a rough go recently, trying to get her a deep cleaning after some bad mouth stuff. One of her front fangs had fallen out.

Vet she was at is either incompetent or just genuinly made a mistake, she died for a minute after anesthesia and thankfully was brought back. New Vet thinks they used one drug in the mix that was too heavy for her. Will be going forward with this one, hope everything works out.

FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby lujborg on Tue May 03, 2016 5:36 am

lujborg
Art Expert

I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)

Postby dskdaniel on Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 am

Pretty devastated right now. A friend had been given a stray kitten that had been found mewing in the gutter without its mother. Probably just a handful of weeks old at the most. She brought the cat to me. I already have a cat and a dog, and while she had two cats already, it was more likely I would be able to care for this little girl kitten. She brought her to me on Thursday and we went to the vet to get her checked out. When I got to the vet I was told the only doctor there was in emergency surgery and couldn't see me. Great. I agreed to keep the kitten at my place, in a carrier, until today when I could bring it back again. I've of course gotten pretty attached to her in the last couple day. Brought her to the vet today, and was given a list of things to be done, including the FIV/FeLV test. She seemed like such a healthy little kitten, especially given she was found in a dumpster, so I hoped for the best. But it came back positive for FeLV. Besides the risk, as small as it might be, of transference to my other cat if they were to interact, the fact that she'll be lucky to have a couple years is a pretty hard knock. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I feel like the only thing I can do is try to get her rehomed and hope she has some kind of life.

IMG_1952-1 copy.jpg
IMG_1952-1 copy.jpg (207.12 KiB) Viewed 476 times
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Postby shoeless on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:33 am

Milo has no shame.
shoeless
Art Expert

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes