EMEK

Artist related topics. Inflammatory posts may be purged.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:36 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/print ... xml&coll=7

Quoted here for archival purposes...
Artist's gig posters rock his fans' world
Monday, November 27, 2006
JOSEPH ROSE
The Oregonian

Emek stands in the middle of San Francisco's Hall of Flowers, flanked by a toy-strewn playpen and a man with mechanical gauges growing from his bald head.

The exhibit hall's annual rock poster show is about to open. The crib waits for the Portland artist's 1-year-old son. The cyberman, pain-racked, tattooed with circuitry, promoting the rock band Tool, welcomes people to Emek's booth.

"I'm not sure anyone's here for my stuff," Emek says, glancing through a window at the crowd growing in the autumn morning outside. "At least they'll get to see my art up close."

Listening to him, you'd never guess that this soft-spoken 36-year-old, black goatee on his chin, winking skull ring wrapped around a finger, is hailed as a savior of rock 'n' roll.

Not the music, but the art.

In the iTunes age, when music is downloaded out of thin air, sans packaging, people still want art with their rock. The rise of Emek, who recently moved to Portland to find balance as a father and an artist, proves it.

Actually, Emek -- whose handcrafted gig posters will be featured in "The Art of Musical Maintenance 3" exhibit at The Goodfoot in Southeast Portland starting Thursday -- could get away with staying home.

Although he never announces sales of new posters on his Web site, they typically sell out in minutes. Collectors have been known to take shifts, checking his site, posting notices in Internet forums when something pops up for sale.

The Hall of Flowers' doors open, and a crowd rushes in.

Of 40 booths, his is the only one swallowed by a thick mob. Some people practically throw wads of $20 bills.

Someone snags the Tool poster for $500. "It's slightly damaged," Emek warns.

"Doesn't matter," says the man, opening his wallet. He drove four hours to buy "an Emek."

A college-age woman counts out $75 for a Ben Harper gig poster showing tree limbs in a storm taking the shape of the musician's face.

As Emek signs and doodles the bottom of the print, she gushes, "It's amazing." He grins. "It's just ink and paper," he says. "No," she says, "it's more than that." Peace in Portland

Praise is cool.

So are the die-hard fans. And CNN and Rolling Stone painting him as the poster child of modern rock. And the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exhibiting his art.

But Emek also needs peace.

So last summer he escaped from Los Angeles.

Why Portland? There's no short answer. Settling into the art studio in his Northeast Portland home, a big old place with solid bones that needs some fixing, Emek, dressed in black jeans and a black cabana shirt with white skulls, talks about his upbringing.

"The way I was raised, the way my parents raised me," he says, "it's easier to live like that in Portland."

Emek Golan was born in 1970, while his artist parents lived on a kibbutz in Israel. In the states, the family, including Emek's younger brother and sister, lived on property owned by a Universalist Unitarian Church outside L.A., where his father worked as a caretaker.

"We lived in a house that was a horse stable, with dirt floors and no windows," Emek says. "I still remember my dad pouring cement and then laying down cheap linoleum tile over the concrete."

No TV, just a radio and a well-equipped art studio. His parents also stayed active in political causes: social justice, the peace movement, environmentalism.

When Ronni Golan met her future husband, the two teens were in Israel for a yearlong exchange program at an agriculture school. But Emek seemed more obsessed with punk rock than milking cows and shaking grapefruit trees.

"He had put all these punk images, all this angry art, warped and scary, above his bed," she recalls. "I think he was still angry that they made him cut off his mohawk for school."

Today, Emek hardly fits the rock 'n' roll stereotype.

Rather than taking bands up on offers to stay out late, partying backstage, he stays home to tuck in his toddler son. His only tattoo, on his right forearm, is more sweet than jarring: the children's book character the Little Prince standing on a moon.

Sure, L.A. is the center of the music-industry universe. But its creative vibe has become too glossy, mass-produced and corporate for Emek.

For a guy who pays the mortgage with the dying art of silk-screening, Portland's politically charged, do-it-yourself creative class is a better fit.

So is the pace.

Outside the glass door of his studio, a willow tree's leaves ride the wind, its branches swaying, briefly revealing a view of the Cascade Mountains.

"Even though I'm creating art for a tribal gathering, where there's all this energy for a big, loud shared experience," he says, "I need solitude to do it." Meaningful art

Emek cringes at his first commissioned concert poster.

It was for a political benefit after the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

Newspapers everywhere carried the image -- a scratchboard visage of Martin Luther King Jr. rising above a concert crowd -- stapled to the city's burnt-out buildings. "I messed up on his face," says Emek, who studied art at California State University at Northridge.

Still, he realized how a rock poster could be meaningful art. Former California Gov. Jerry Brown, running for president at the time, called Emek to compliment him.

"This was illustrating something historical," Emek says. "It was bold. It felt urgent, important, like a headline from a newspaper."

Computers and offset printing would be easier. But Emek refuses to give up silk-screening, a craft he learned from his father.

Often, he slaves for days over intricate designs, listening to a band's music as he draws, cutting out layers of colors, just to commemorate a two-hour show.

"It's more meaningful this way," he says. "The artist's hands are actually involved. You can feel the ink on the paper. I'm not trying to be Wal-Mart."

The posters, usually made in batches of 100 to 300, are divvied up for the band and promoters, who commission them. Emek gets what's left.

Collectors credit Emek with reviving the gig poster as art more worthy of a living room than a telephone pole.

"The detail is insane, and every poster tells a story," says Robert O'Brien, a San Francisco psychiatrist who collects Emek's art. "This is rock 'n' roll art that my wife will let me hang up."

Emek incorporates traditional styles, from Russian constructivism to Asian woodblock. But he is also known for melding the mechanical with the organic, part of a statement on technology, consumerism and conservation.

Take the poster promoting a show for Ween and the Flaming Lips. A robot riding a robot horse, a green plant in his pouch, bows his head in the middle of a barren field of tree stumps.

"At the end of the trail, tired old robots are the only ones left to mourn mankind's destruction of the planet," Emek explains.

People get it. College professors use his political imagery in classes and textbooks. Some of his L.A. neighbors were so upset with his anti-Iraq war concert posters, including one for Queens of the Stone Age portraying President Bush as a monkey, that they stopped talking to him.

Punk rocker and poet Henry Rollins dubbed Emek "the thinking man's poster artist." Rock star artist

In the Hall of Flowers, fans treat the mono-monikered artist like a rock star, snapping photos as he signs posters. Many had seen Emek's work on eBay, where some of his posters fetch hundreds of dollars, and know exactly what they want. They call them out: Radiohead. Death Cab for Cutie. Bright Eyes. The Pixies. Paul Simon.

"I can't camp out on my PC for his posters," says Glen Greathouse, a Los Angeles research scientist. "Unless all the hoopla dies down, this is the only way to get his stuff."

Emek chats with everyone who buys a poster. Fans explain how their love for a band or a political cause led them to his posters. Some buy posters for bands they dislike, solely for love of the art.

A man says he heard Emek had moved to Portland. Emek smiles, explains how he likes to garden. The water bills in L.A. were killing him. It rains in Portland.

Chuckling, the man shakes his hand and takes his rolled-up poster. Up close, personal, sincere, unlike some of the hundreds of e-mails Emek gets each week.

Lately, the obsessive behavior of a few collectors has spooked him. A couple of fans have e-mailed him, saying they wanted to move to Portland and work as his assistants for free. He has also caught people taking on dual identities, trying to buy extra posters to flip on eBay for huge profits.

He laughs about how things have changed.

Ten years ago, he had a hard time getting record stores to sell posters left over from a Pearl Jam show. "The poster was only $12.50," Emek says. Today, when the poster shows up on eBay, it goes for $1,000.

Back home, a week after the San Francisco exhibit, Emek seems to forget his success momentarily. Maybe it's the sound of his son, Taeo, waking from a nap. Being a dad can be just as scary as being a rock 'n' roll hero.

"When times get tough," he says, "my family knows how to dig ditches."

Ronni, walking into the room holding a smiling Taeo, shoots him a worried look. Emek clears his throat and grins.

"I hope it doesn't come to that," Emek adds. "I'm just saying."

Joseph Rose: 503-221-8029; josephrose@news.oregonian.com

©2006 The Oregonian
bigB_3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:54 pm

From EMEK's site....I think it is new....

EMEK on the tv show, the OC:

www.theOCinsider.com

http://www.theocinsider.com/baitshop/ba ... sters.html

Look for Emek's and Justin's posters in episode 5 of "The O.C."
(airs November 30)
Art Rock: Collectible Concert Posters
by Jeremy Clark

You probably noticed the posters that line the walls and windows of Seth's room, Newport Vinyl and Centurion Comics. Many are rock posters promoting shows for bands like The Futureheads, Atom & His Package, and The Walkmen. In the last decade, rock posters have entered a new era, becoming more popular and artistic than they have been for years. One artist, Emek, has been a significant part of this renaissance as he creates some of the most exciting and imaginative rock posters around.

Not many artists would ever voluntarily burn their art. But for poster artist Emek, it's just another way to push the limits. As a way of accenting the design for heavy metal band High On Fire, Emek torched a corner of each poster, referencing both the band's name as well as "the impermanence of rock posters as an art form."

Embracing the unconventional has helped Emek to become once of the most successful rock poster artists in the country. Producing posters since 1992, Emek has worked with a wide range of artists that includes the White Stripes, Beastie Boys, Death Cab for Cutie, Willie Nelson, Kraftwerk and Beck. "I appreciate the flexibility this medium allows me," says Emek, and his work reflects it. His "poster" for rock band Queens of the Stone Age comes in the form of a functioning, oversized board game spinner; a series promoting The Flaming Lips tour were "fossils" made of cast resin. His more conventional posters are anything but, featuring brilliant illustrations that reveal new details with each viewing. Emek draws every element by hand and produces the finished silkscreened posters himself, usually in limited editions of 300 or fewer. "I always want the focus to be the art, the execution of the printing."

While Emek's approach hasn't changed since he started almost 15 years ago, the poster business has. "There are certainly more artists out there today. It seems like every small club has their [own] artist. And I think that The Art of Modern Rock has helped to stimulate a lot of new interest." (The Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion, a huge, 500-page tome documenting the resurgence of the art form, was released in 2004 and features an entire section on Emek's work.)

The number of artists making rock posters isn't the only thing that's changed. "It's definitely become a business. Making art that never gets released is the worst. But I've become immune to disappointment, in a way. It used to bother me when I'd get a call from a record label telling me that the poster I designed isn't going to be used because a tour's been cancelled. But that's the nature of business. I just want to keep going and keep making art."

And Emek shows no signs of slowing down. Fresh from a poster tour in Canada, he's looking forward to gallery shows in Detroit, New York, Los Angeles and the UK. But that doesn't mean Emek has no time for PNE (short for Post Neo Explosionism), the poster collective/revolutionary force he co-created with fellow artists Jermaine Rogers and Justin Hampton. Following a group show at a gallery in Seattle in 2002, the trio decided to work as a "united front" making art "for the people, by the people." PNE has drawn even more attention to the art form while garnering rave reviews in the process; the Seattle Times asserted "Post Neo Explosionism could be seen as the jumping-off point for the next poster artist revolution."

When it comes to the chops of the PNE artists, Emek's in good company. Combining the histories of rock music and popular culture with the flavor of the bands he's promoting, Jermaine Rogers has created rock posters for more than a decade. Moreover, he's created an entire mythos through his imagery, focusing on a shadowy bear figure called Dero and other strange associates. Illustrator, cartoonist and fellow artist Justin Hampton brings his own style to the PNE team. Visually referencing several classic comic artists, Justin's artwork often features dramatic shadows and comic book scenarios. As PNE, the three artists have tackled tour posters for acts like Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave and Built to Spill.

What's next for Emek and PNE? Poster designs for Paul Simon and DJ Shadow, skateboard and snowboard designs and even a line a vinyl toys. As Emek says, "It's about being creative. Create with a passion and people will take notice."
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:04 am

bigB_3 wrote:
And Emek shows no signs of slowing down. Fresh from a poster tour in Canada, he's looking forward to gallery shows in Detroit, New York, Los Angeles and the UK.
Ya baby, game on!
macc5
EB Team

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:03 am

Codeblue wrote:
bigB_3 wrote:
And Emek shows no signs of slowing down. Fresh from a poster tour in Canada, he's looking forward to gallery shows in Detroit, New York, Los Angeles and the UK.
Ya baby, game on!
:D :D nice!
thegig
Art Expert

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:32 am

jojobadass
Art God

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 am

well, looks like somebody caught on.....they killed the site. :lol:
coxgt
Art Expert

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:22 pm

jojobadass wrote:

well, looks like somebody caught on.....they killed the site. :lol:
Haha! They sure did, you called it! b4 they could figure out what hit em. Like a shjt load of bricks!
hotniks160
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 pm

im hopin for him to come to cincy or louisville

:jawdropper: :jawdropper:
ryan_1969

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:30 pm

hotniks160 wrote:im hopin for him to come to cincy or louisville

:jawdropper: :jawdropper:

:lol:
hotniks160
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:49 am

this thread needs more posts....
pjtaper
Art Freak

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:31 pm

yeah, I need to make it to one of his shows.... I thought I was borderline stalking, checking his site every time I walk past a computer, guess there are people MUCH worse!

EMEK's the man!
Flimby

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 am

New addition
Slightly Stoopid Closer to the Sun 05 Emek
http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=40565

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:26 pm

I heard the PNE show in LA is going to happen some time in February. Time to start saving.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:00 pm

I will be at the PNE show!!! I hope EMEK gives us a new image soon! It's been a while since DJ Shadow arrived!
pjtaper
Art Freak

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:48 pm

http://secure.pearljam.com/images/store ... s/4079.jpg

That is a Pearl Jam sticker designed from Ames... it really reminds me of a few doodles I've seen of EMEK's...
anyone else?