Frankenstein 11 Struzan / Taylor

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
desch
Art Expert

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 am

Earlgrey, I believe you. I definitely am cool with the fact that this site was launched with Phish art as a starting point for the site to jump off on.

With most art, critics do not use content as a reason to say a poster or work of art is horrible. Things like illustration, composition and actual manufacture of the poster are legitimate criticisms if it is indeed crappy.

Did Drew paint a horrible likeness of Dr. Frankenstein or the monster? Did Drew and Ken make poor decisions in composing the art and the lettering for the movie? Was the screen printing process by D & L inferior in any way? Those things would be legitimate areas of discussion and debate.

I get the impression that Phishbeatles didn't think the poster was crappy for those reasons, but because he disliked the subject matter, a movie poster for an 80 year old movie as he so eloquently put it. Never once did I say that Phish posters were crappy in any way. I haven't spent any time looking at them to reach a decision if they are poorly made, designed or illustrated. The only Phish poster that comes to mind is this poster from '95.

Pretty awesome poster regardless if you like the content or not.

Phishbeatles also didn't get the fact I was busting his balls due to the fact he mostly collects Phish posters, not the fact that he likes Phish. If you have narrow tastes in any particular subject, your opinion about something you don't collect, like or understand is not going to be received with any real respect by your peers. I didn't see one movie poster in his collection and it was comprised of well over %50 of Phish and Phish related memorabilia. No mention if he had actually seen a Frankenstein in the flesh either.

And lastly, being a noob doesn't preclude one from calling out someone for being a thread shitter. Remember, he didn't just trash me, but anyone who liked this poster.

As you said Earlgrey, this forum is no longer about Phish but the poster world in general. It's for everyone that likes posters no matter what the subject matter.

Congrats to Ken and Drew for giving us this landmark, screenprinted poster. Well deserved poster of the year. :clap:
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
bighitters
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 am

desch wrote:... this forum is no longer about Phish but the poster world in general.
:notworthy:
MovieManJeff1012
Art Expert

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Just received my Frankenstein in the mail!!! I think it is absolutely gorgeous. My coworkers on the other hand were completely underwhelmed. They didn't feel it jumped off the paper and because of the grey paper that it was washed out. I definitely have my blinders on, did anyone else share these sentiments?

Can't wait to get this thing framed and up on my wall!!
ImageImageImage
THE GODDESS PREVAILS
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:Just received my Frankenstein in the mail!!! I think it is absolutely gorgeous. My coworkers on the other hand were completely underwhelmed. They didn't feel it jumped off the paper and because of the grey paper that it was washed out. I definitely have my blinders on, did anyone else share these sentiments?

Can't wait to get this thing framed and up on my wall!!
What? That it's awesome? drymount yes. I wish I had one.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 am

Posted this over in a framed thread... will post here for people who don't go there. You can go to Framed Stuff 6 to see my Bride too. :lol: Apologies for the crap camera.

With Struzan Stein, we wanted a dilapidated look that would match the burning windmill (and is a present visual theme in most of the films) and has some of the rough feel of the 21 screen beast. The mat under the black mat was tough... but the print has a lot of mauves and plum-ish purples (not really seen in the JPEG... kind of have to have seen it in person to understand). So, we went with one of those colors and it accents the print and plays off the fire perfectly (imo).

Hope you guys dig.
Last edited by SaintNoir on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 am

Very wise, not trying to pull out the Orange, looks great!
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:47 am

talkingdeads wrote:Very wise, not trying to pull out the Orange, looks great!
Agreed.

That is the best frame-up of this print I've seen. Fantastic.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Nice job..congrats :clap:
I really need to get my copy framed too
So many prints....so little wall space :cry:
woodyland
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Great job. I love the frame you chose :clap:
They're a Band Beyond Description, like Jehovah's Favorite Choir
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 am

Yeah that frame specifically , is amazing. Great job overall!
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 am

Absolutely the best frame up in concept & execution for this print... :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 am

rubberneck wrote:Absolutely the best frame up in concept & execution for this print... :pint:

without a doubt.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
vtswordfish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 am

rubberneck wrote:Absolutely the best frame up in concept & execution for this print... :pint:
To echo everyone else! I love the frame! :)
tehhippy
Art Expert

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Yep, pretty much what I plan on printing and taking to the framer when I decide to do mine. :drool:
graphicjim24
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 pm

If you wanted to get one of these and did not, there are a couple of test prints made available from Kevin Tong. see here:
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 1#p1355321