Frankenstein 11 Struzan / Taylor

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bert
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:08 pm

What I love about this print:

Frankenstein is a piece of film history
Struzan is a legend when it comes to illustrating film posters
21 screens is impressive
The typography is fantastic

What I don't like so much about this print:

It's taken from a painting Struzan did a while back
I'm still not sure about the white zig zags on the edge
There's about 10 Struzan posters I can think of off the top of my head that I prefer
I failed at the drop and don't want to pay $600 for it!

Overall, I think it's a great print and I wish I had scored one. Hopefully the next Struzan print that Mondo produce is a run of about 600 or so (please!).
phishbeatles wrote:a shitty print from a movie that happened 80 years ago as poster of the year?
:oops:
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm

bert wrote: I'm still not sure about the white zig zags on the edge
The whole theme of the piece is this idea of being shattered/split. Edges are kind of like a glass shattering effect.
schmoff
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
bert wrote: I'm still not sure about the white zig zags on the edge
The whole theme of the piece is this idea of being shattered/split. Edges are kind of like a glass shattering effect.
and or the lightning that helps bring the monster to life
jojobadass
Art God

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Phish fans scare me way more than frankenstein does.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Phish posters didn't get halfway decent until a year or so ago... 6 pages? :shock:

I couldn't sit through this movie... or most for that matter.
At least the title is respectable.
I would puke multiple colors if Kill Bill won.
Pineapple007
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Just sent mine off with Aaron Brothers to get framed ... Now the EVER LONG wait starts :drool:
"Get up, you son of a bitch! 'Cause Micky loves ya."
Image Order of the Monarch #21
Image Image
desch
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 pm

phishbeatles wrote:
desch wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:Wow I didn't realize that 2011 was such a shitty year for posters. Must have been a pretty crappy selection if this won lol.
This from someone who owns 6 pages of Phish posters lol. :P
What does me liking a band have anything to do with you morons voting a shitty print from a movie that happened 80 years ago as poster of the year? If it wasn't for Phish this site wouldn't even exist dumbass. But you wouldn't know that because your a noob and haven't even been on this site for 2 years yet.

The fact is there were a ton of other actual prints that were 20 times better. What's next you morons going to vote for a comic book cover or a vinyl record as poster of the year lol? 800 bux for Frankenstein lol.........
First off my comment was meant be somewhat ironical and I was trying to good naturedly bust your balls. If you don't branch out much in your taste in posters, why care or comment negatively on something you don't appreciate or understand (notice I said taste in posters, not in bands). It's attitudes like that, that give EB a bad name and bad vibe.

Let's talk about your Noob accusation. Fair enough, you're right that I've been on EB less than 2 years. However I've been collecting posters since the late 90's. I've got Jimi Hendrix posters, Pink Floyd, Johnny Cash, Neko Case etc. etc. My tastes are very diverse; and my collecting habits go back before your Phish obsession from '03 (your join date right?). Granted, maybe you also were collecting posters and are more knowledgeable about what's what before me even, but I only have your join date and breadth of a poster and tour guide collection to try and figure that out. :roll:

As far as your claim that this site wouldn't exist without Phish fans? You're right I wouldn't know that either because I'm a "noob". But I do know that poster collecting would exist regardless if Phish existed or not. And if I'm not mistaken, this is a poster collecting community site, not a Phish poster site. I'm definitely willing to bet that if you took your toys and went home, we'd be just fine. It seems this little ole' site has outgrown you if you think it's reason for existing is Phish and it's posters.

And lastly, no real need to call me and everyone else either dumbass or morons. You seem to be a very mean-spirited and petty person and I hope you get to go to some more Phish shows so you can chill out and not worry about things you have no control over.

Peace out Phishbeatles. 8)
Last edited by desch on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 pm

He's just jelly cuz he didn't get any to flip and use the money for grill cheesies in the lot.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
desch
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Codeblue wrote:He's just jelly cuz he didn't get any to flip and use the money for grill cheesies in the lot.
Is that what those guys eat? :P You learn something new everyday.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 pm

swabie2424 wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:Congrats on poster of the year!
Indeed. Very well deserved. Congrats to all the artists involved as well as the Mondo crew.

Going to the Frank event at the New Bev was by far my favorite collecting memory of the year. Met some great folks in line, got to speak with Struzan again (I had met him on past occasions), saw the film on the big screen for the first time and ended up picking up one of my favorite pieces in my collection... which is now the 2011 poster of the year! Not a bad night all!!!
Stood in line with Swabie and a few others on here. The good company made the long wait surprisingly bearable. Finally getting it framed makes it even more worthwhile. Thanks Justin and crew!

T.H.C.
MovieManJeff1012
Art Expert

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm

FINALLY landed myself a Frankenstein!! Cost me some money and some prints, but man was it worth it!! I can't wait to get it later this week, get it framed and up on the wall!! My Universal Monsters series is nearing completion!

In honor of the acquisition, I watched the film last night. It is amazing how great this film is, even after 80 years! As a wannabe Director, I can not tell you how thankful I would be to have at least one film (that clocks in at just over an hour by the way!), have such a concise story that is engaging, funny, scary, suspenseful, and dramatic, all while just looking beautiful for every second it is on the screen!

It really is a shame that films like this, that even to this day, putting most modern films to shame, can go so unappreciated by people!! FYI, I am only 29 years old, not a film snob, went to film school, and watch just about everything!

This print, besides being gorgeous, completely embodies the iconic and timeless nature of the film and definitely deserved not just poster of the year from this website, but just about everywhere that reviewed (mostly Mondo) the prints of this year!

Think I will watch Bride of Frankenstein tonight :clap:
ImageImageImage
THE GODDESS PREVAILS
geezer
Art Expert

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:47 pm

The Bride is actually better in my opinon.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:Think I will watch Bride of Frankenstein tonight :clap:
Ever seen it? SO much better... and one of my favorite films. James Whale is amazing. :P
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Super_Dank_Nugz
Art Expert

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 am

phishbeatles wrote:Wow I didn't realize that 2011 was such a shitty year for posters. Must have been a pretty crappy selection if this won lol.
My sarcasm meter isnt flickering... You are joking right?
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am

I'm not a fan of this poster either. But jeez phishbeatles - chill out duder.

desch - it's true that this site would not exist if it wasn't for Phish and their posters. You can ask some of the founding fathers for more details on that but famed Phish poster artist Jim Pollock and his work was the impetus for this labor of love. But it is SO MUCH more than that now, thank god!
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.