Star Wars Set 10 Moss

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
hellosir
Art Freak

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm

I think i'm just completely underwhelmed by Moss's effort on the Star Wars designs. Evil Dead kicked ass like i said, and Dirty Harry was awesome too. And Die Hard. I guess I just don't see anything at all noteworthy or unique in the design of these. To each their own I guess
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:15 pm

tranito wrote:I've said it before. Moss Evil Dead = Best poster of the year
It will age like a Grand Cru.
While the movie ages like a can of Busch in the back of a pickup truck.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 pm

:lol:
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
nymets711
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm not into tyler stout, but who cares if your into him enjoy his style. No point in trying to convert people that have their own opinions.
AZKemp
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 am

PorkBelly wrote:
haven wrote:
desch wrote:
my2hands wrote:does anyone actually buy art for themselves anymore?
And for the record, I purchased them because I like Star Wars, I like Olly Moss's work and so far, these are the best Star Wars posters I've ever seen. That may change however if Tyler puts out a set in the near future of these movies. Fingers crossed that that happens!
For me personally, when you've seen one Stout you've pretty much seen them all. They're all the same design, different characters and colors, but basically the same. Olly's to me require much more creative thought and input and do a better job of capturing the feel of a movie.
Olly Moss = Mondo's Saul Bass

Tyler Stout = Mondo's Drew Struzan

All four are awesome.
porkbelly = ebeans Dennis Miller :D
nymets711
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:47 am

Also who has a thousand bucks to buy 3 posters? I guess the economy isn't doing that bad afterall. Love the Jedi print but at these prices I'm ok with never owning it.
lefev
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:44 am

hellosir wrote:His Evil Dead design crushed these. I really don't see much of a progression. Whoa, a scene inside a character outline!! Not exactly mindblowing stuff
I was referring to the progression from his 09 work, (Locke being the exception) to what has been a great year in 2010 for him. However, I am a fan of minimalist designs and understand everyone has individual tastes.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:20 am

nymets711 wrote:I'm not into tyler stout, but who cares if your into him enjoy his style. No point in trying to convert people that have their own opinions.
I totally agree. Honestly, I love seeing Moss's work but I'm a Stout fan. Two different styles.

Where as Moss's work is very imaginative, I feel Stout's always brings out the essence of what a movie poster should be. Something to hang on your wall.

Struzan is also like that. Very character ish. And I love it.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 am

rmoore wrote:Signed edition: eBay 120663378634 :shock:
HOLY SMOKES! That is crazy. Well at least they're getting three posters out of it... :hanging:
viastudio
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:01 am

Holy crap!
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:23 am

Nearly 1/4 of the run has been sold on ebay before anything has been shipped. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 am

viastudio wrote:
Holy crap!
Saw that last night. I think i scoffed when I saw sell-bid-buy had it FS here for that much. Guess the scoff's have turned.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
maden
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 am

rhythmgtr5 wrote:Nearly 1/4 of the run has been sold on ebay before anything has been shipped. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this
You don't know how many of those got refunded after they sold on eBay.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

haven
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Tadrules wrote:
haven wrote:
desch wrote:
my2hands wrote:does anyone actually buy art for themselves anymore?
And for the record, I purchased them because I like Star Wars, I like Olly Moss's work and so far, these are the best Star Wars posters I've ever seen. That may change however if Tyler puts out a set in the near future of these movies. Fingers crossed that that happens!
For me personally, when you've seen one Stout you've pretty much seen them all. They're all the same design, different characters and colors, but basically the same. Olly's to me require much more creative thought and input and do a better job of capturing the feel of a movie.
are you really comparing silmplistic design to illustrations?

much more creative thought? hahahahahhahaha. i love designers, but that's just way out there. it takes much more creativity to draw something from memory than mesh a bunch of images together. + olly moss is not original. there are tons of designers with his skill set. you see it in commercial work almost daily. everywhere.

apples and organges, might as well just piss in the wind than make the comparison.

it's not the "same", it's called style. just like this same old fudge from oly moss. :wink:
In response to what seems to be the generally held belief that the Stout's are going to be the crowning achievement of this series, yes, I'm comparing design to illustration.

I'm not knocking Stout's style at all. He's obviously very good at what he does and it makes for good looking movie posters. But except for the change of characters and colors, they are all basically the same. Same layout, same design. So be it, but there's no way he's illustrating these solely from memory and not using any source material to look at. I don't buy that.

Apples and oranges, whatever, they're all movie posters and certainly capable of being compared.