Star Wars Set 10 Moss

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Doesn't this always happen if the artist releases signed prints? Why's everyone freaking out?
ImageX5 Hodor Image
iano-beano
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Aren't most of the posters/prints we collect like this?
Mondo will sell, say Martin Ansin prints that are numbered only, but if you buy from the man himself they are signed, should they have two entries?
Even in gig poster situations, buy at a venue, it'll be #'d. Buy from the artist, it'll be S&#'d
I don't know if it does really merit two entries, calling a signature a variant, for want of a better term.
“Take away the right to say 'drymount' and you take away the right to say 'drymount the government.' ”
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:44 pm

haven wrote:
desch wrote:
my2hands wrote:does anyone actually buy art for themselves anymore?
And for the record, I purchased them because I like Star Wars, I like Olly Moss's work and so far, these are the best Star Wars posters I've ever seen. That may change however if Tyler puts out a set in the near future of these movies. Fingers crossed that that happens!
For me personally, when you've seen one Stout you've pretty much seen them all. They're all the same design, different characters and colors, but basically the same. Olly's to me require much more creative thought and input and do a better job of capturing the feel of a movie.
are you really comparing silmplistic design to illustrations?

much more creative thought? hahahahahhahaha. i love designers, but that's just way out there. it takes much more creativity to draw something from memory than mesh a bunch of images together. + olly moss is not original. there are tons of designers with his skill set. you see it in commercial work almost daily. everywhere.

apples and organges, might as well just piss in the wind than make the comparison.

it's not the "same", it's called style. just like this same old fudge from oly moss. :wink:
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Tadrules wrote:
haven wrote:
desch wrote:
And for the record, I purchased them because I like Star Wars, I like Olly Moss's work and so far, these are the best Star Wars posters I've ever seen. That may change however if Tyler puts out a set in the near future of these movies. Fingers crossed that that happens!
For me personally, when you've seen one Stout you've pretty much seen them all. They're all the same design, different characters and colors, but basically the same. Olly's to me require much more creative thought and input and do a better job of capturing the feel of a movie.
are you really comparing silmplistic design to illustrations?

much more creative thought? hahahahahhahaha. i love designers, but that's just way out there. it takes much more creativity to draw something from memory than mesh a bunch of images together. + olly moss is not original. there are tons of designers with his skill set. you see it in commercial work almost daily. everywhere.

apples and organges, might as well just piss in the wind than make the comparison.

it's not the "same", it's called style. just like this same old fudge from oly moss. :wink:
I take it you missed out on Olly's release today too huh? :wink:
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:56 pm

i think i'm still bitter he used a martha stewart color scheme on these.

*i scored a set. + one off ebay for 400. one for gift. one to sell down the road.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:32 pm

haven wrote:
desch wrote:
Olly Moss = Mondo's Saul Bass

Tyler Stout = Mondo's Drew Struzan

All four are awesome.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:53 pm

also Olly has only hit a few out of the park where Tyler pretty much crushes every time out..... way better batting avg. for T. I'm not the biggest Olly fan but the ED and these 3 are all incredible...but I can do without the rest of the stuff.
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
desch
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
haven wrote:
desch wrote:
Olly Moss = Mondo's Saul Bass

Tyler Stout = Mondo's Drew Struzan

All four are awesome.
Dead on Porkbelly. I had to refresh my memory of Saul Bass.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 pm

i like simple. eric munn would be a good one too. lil tuffy also.

edit* jason munn from small stakes. i'm an idiot.
Last edited by Tadrules on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefev
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:42 pm

I'll second porkbelly personally.

Two great artists; but I have to admit, there is a certain wit to Moss' work that stands out with such a simple pallet of colours. You require more of a knowledge of the topic itself to understand the prints compared to Stout. But the detail in Tyler's work has to be seen. It's been a great year for Olly, a real progression in his work.
hellosir
Art Freak

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm

His Evil Dead design crushed these. I really don't see much of a progression. Whoa, a scene inside a character outline!! Not exactly mindblowing stuff
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:54 pm

hellosir wrote:His Evil Dead design crushed these. I really don't see much of a progression. Whoa, a scene inside a character outline!! Not exactly mindblowing stuff
whoa, a hand coming up out of the ground with some random veins inside!!! not exactly mindblowing stuff
hellosir
Art Freak

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:58 pm

RiotAct wrote:
hellosir wrote:His Evil Dead design crushed these. I really don't see much of a progression. Whoa, a scene inside a character outline!! Not exactly mindblowing stuff
whoa, a hand coming up out of the ground with some random veins inside!!! not exactly mindblowing stuff
Maybe it's time for you to look at the poster again you twit
I think your interpretation of it just made my exact point
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 pm

whoa sweet

EDIT: Naw but in all seriousness, the ED and all three of the Star Wars prints are excellent, I don't think one 'crushes' the other. Those are probably Moss' 4 best works to this point.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:06 pm

I've said it before. Moss Evil Dead = Best poster of the year
It will age like a Grand Cru.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.