Levitator 09 Welker

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
guru59
Art Connoisseur
Location: probably an airplane, strike that, in the mountains of Chamonix

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:28 pm

woodyland wrote:I ordered two prints from David & he threw down this 7 7/8 x 5 1/2 handbill plus another.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yup. He's cool like that. I have always received a few freebies as well. I was lucky enough to grab a "Rift" that was much smaller but incredible quality. It's already framed and on the wall.

This guy is great and starting to really pump out some stellar work.
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:28 am

I like Davids paintings. I like how his prints are a different look then his paintings . Consistency of quality
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
dmm8878
Art Expert

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:54 am

guru59 wrote:This guy is great and starting to really pump out some stellar work.
Starting? Sounds like you are late to the party.
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 am

dmm8878 wrote:
guru59 wrote:This guy is great and starting to really pump out some stellar work.
What is the point of your comment?
"Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
Brazzzy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:13 am

guru59 wrote:
dmm8878 wrote:

Probably to inform you that welker has been great for a while. The image for this thread in which you're posting is like 20 years old. Rift, his most celebrated image, is also about 20 years old.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Brazzzy wrote:
guru59 wrote:
dmm8878 wrote:

Probably to inform you that welker has been great for a while. The image for this thread in which you're posting is like 20 years old. Rift, his most celebrated image, is also about 20 years old.

Was Rift made for Phish?
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm

downtown wrote:
dmm8878 wrote:I met David when I went to his studio in NYC to pick up my Lady In The Rock print. He told me that he had contacted Phish about doing art for them after being blown away at a Roseland show in '90 or '91. He sent them a postcard of this painting, The Levitator, was invited up to Burlington to meet them, and got the job for the Rift cover. I think I have the details right. David, please feel free to correct me :D But this one started it all with Phish.
I think you have the story right.
From what I understand Phish Phreaked out when they saw this piece back in '92.
Anna (downtown) works with David, so this is about as close to verified as you can get without asking David directly.
fluffhead
Art Expert

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 am

guru59 wrote: Was Rift made for Phish?
Considering that the image references most of the tracks on the album it is hard to imagine that it was made for anything else and just happened to be used for the album cover
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:18 pm

fluffhead wrote:
guru59 wrote: Was Rift made for Phish?
Considering that the image references most of the tracks on the album it is hard to imagine that it was made for anything else and just happened to be used for the album cover

Wow. Was not serious guys. Every song on the album is depicted except "The Horse", and it showed up on Hoist, the very next album they released. Been with them since '94, just after Rift was released...I think. I took the "late to the party" comment the wrong way. But I do think David is putting out better work now than over the past 2-3 years. Just sayin.

mtarail >> your're correct. David explained the same to me via email and the reason I received the free giclee.
automator
Nobody

Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am

New image Levitator 09 Welker

automator
Nobody

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:35 am

New image Levitator 09 Welker - Framed

bcp5296d
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 28, 2015 3:36 pm

So apparently this piece is gaining value. Who would have thought that in my 5 years buying art, the only one I keep framed in my house, the one that I never expected to go up in value, would start going up in value. I have "boardwalk" as well and need to get that one framed too.
RiotAct
EB Team

Thu May 28, 2015 4:26 pm

bcp5296d wrote:So apparently this piece is gaining value. Who would have thought that in my 5 years buying art, the only one I keep framed in my house, the one that I never expected to go up in value, would start going up in value. I have "boardwalk" as well and need to get that one framed too.
Duh - it's an awesome piece :)
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 am

bcp5296d wrote:So apparently this piece is gaining value. Who would have thought that in my 5 years buying art, the only one I keep framed in my house, the one that I never expected to go up in value, would start going up in value. I have "boardwalk" as well and need to get that one framed too.

I'm with you. It's been on my wall for years and never because it was worth "xxxxx" but because I liked it. What art's supposed to be about right? I will say it feels better to know the demand has grown over the years and coupled with the story makes it a pretty incredible piece.
guru59
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

WHAT. IS. GOING. ON. WITH. THIS. PRINT?

Forgive my ignorance, but seriously WTF happened? Last 2 sales at $4k and 3 listed at over $5K? I love the image and if mine didn't have such a neat story it would be sold asap. But I still can't wrap my mind around it.

Also, how is the 6 month average $275 if the last several purchases were over $1K? Mods?