Hendrix Experience John Mayall San Francisco 68 Griffin

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:06 am

kind of like print mafia
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:27 am

j A few notes/comments;

Randy says he remembers the second printing being done before the show. Randy, at one time, was the largest, most important collector of posters. He was also at the show. {Where, I believe he said, Joplin played that night as well]. The printing records are somewhat murky on this.
The silkscreen. By far one of the most difficult things I have published. Rick and I spent two and a half years on the project. jWe just talked about it for over a year. What size it should be, the printing, etc. Initially we were going to go with a more usual [but still quality] printer. Rick always, from the very beginning, wanted it that large. We finally settled on Laurie [of Arellanes] as the printer. The original had 6 pieces of film [including two reds--one cool, one hot, if I remember what Rick said correctly]. The film was then blown up and Rick made it into 13 pieces of film [including the spot varnish part. It was hand-pulled using slim pieces of folded paper to keep the registration perfect---and it is. Even the blue background 'fade' was done with unbelievable precision---unbeleivable. It took Rick over two days just to sign and number all of the prints by hand.
It is also, by far, the finest piece I have ever published, as well as one ot the most expensive. {At the time, the value of posters was considerably less and this was a gamble, in many people's minds, to do. But then, everyone also said that paying Ben a million dollars for his posters was a gamble [aa well as not worth it] as well.].
Bootlegs are bootlegs I think, and have little value--except for , perhaps, the boot of FD-14 and FD-26---Zig-Zag man and Skeleton and Roses respectively.

Phil
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:27 pm

jojobadass wrote:kind of like print mafia
how strange... i don't understand your m.o.

you sell posters yet you seem to willingly trash a very respectable group of artists in public time and time again....

art is art and its subjective so I completely undertsand if people like one piece of art or comlpetely hate it... but to basically drag a group of artists through the mud while operating a sales-channel for posters baffles me

perhaps stop shitting in your kitchen?
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:35 pm

piemel wrote:

you sell posters yet you seem to willingly trash a very respectable group of artists in public time and time again....

art is art and its subjective so I completely undertsand if people like one piece of art or comlpetely hate it... but to basically drag a group of artists through the mud while operating a sales-channel for posters baffles me

oh jeezus........you're so drymounting dramatic.

If print mafia can make a living making art and printing posters, more power to them.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:37 pm

One more note; Eric's book is not always accurate, at least in my opinion, for reasons I've said before. {Keep in mind, however, that Eric says he is a scholar, and I will state plainly that I am not. I am also sceptical, highly skeptical, concerning using remembered consversations, etc. for substantiation---I prefer printing records, proof sheets, etc---something tangible that other people can/could examine as well to form their own conclusion , and, if they so desire, challenge mine. I welcome it. ].
Keep also in mind that Eric even has a chapter in his book debunking my opinions, and he is considered to be the 'bast' expert by many. {I disagree here as well---as I think that both Dennis King and Jacaebor are more accurate---in that order.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm

cushway wrote:One more note; Eric's book is not always accurate, at least in my opinion, for reasons I've said before. {Keep in mind, however, that Eric says he is a scholar, and I will state plainly that I am not. I am also sceptical, highly skeptical, concerning using remembered consversations, etc. for substantiation---I prefer printing records, proof sheets, etc---something tangible that other people can/could examine as well to form their own conclusion , and, if they so desire, challenge mine. I welcome it. ].
Keep also in mind that Eric even has a chapter in his book debunking my opinions, and he is considered to be the 'bast' expert by many. {I disagree here as well---as I think that both Dennis King and Jacaebor are more accurate---in that order.
Phil - any chance of ever making public the actual poster printing records you mentioned that you have????
That would go far to debunk misconceptions.

I've found Jacaeber to be a wealth of solid information. He's helped me out many a time over the years.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:28 pm

jojobadass wrote:
piemel wrote:

oh jeezus........you're so drymounting dramatic.

If print mafia can make a living making art and printing posters, more power to them.
That was actually a pretty civil exchange for you two. :lol:
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:21 am

Maybe I should post some of the records. I would need some help though---I am not very good at posting, especially with images....

I was just looking thru some of the records, and probably the first few I would do would be for BG's 86,93,95,96,100,103.... These are all listed as having only one, and sometimes two printings in Eric's book. These are wrong. {But, again keep in mind that I am only using what I consider to be 'reliable'---actual printing records and/or proof sheets ---and in one case only a poster-----. Eric, as he says, was there. I wasn't, so I have to rely on different kinds of info].
It would also be nice, maybe, to actually show an entire 'docket' [one was done for every print job] from start to finish----. Sometimes this includes the ink and paper info, plate changes, etc. All are marked with a date and docket number. Would this be possible?
I would also need to clear this with Bill---since he owns the copyright. {In case I need to show the image to show the differences or what not].

Phil
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 am

cushway wrote:One more note; Eric's book is not always accurate, at least in my opinion, for reasons I've said before. {Keep in mind, however, that Eric says he is a scholar, and I will state plainly that I am not. I am also sceptical, highly skeptical, concerning using remembered consversations, etc. for substantiation---I prefer printing records, proof sheets, etc---something tangible that other people can/could examine as well to form their own conclusion , and, if they so desire, challenge mine. I welcome it. ].
this would make a kick ass show on the history channel.
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:06 pm

holy grail of holy grails
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Tom, was over at Bill's today and got permission to use his copyrights for the printings/dockets. Also went thru Jacaebor's BG collection portfolios---and even he has a few mistakes....
Will send you photos when I can figure that out or have Tommy or someone do them.....

Phil

{He made a mistake on the BG103 and 104 and possibly on the 81..]
ptman
New User

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:23 pm

I have come across a serigraph, numbered and signed, that is embossed with ArtRock in the left hand lower corner.

Is this part of the limited run from the late 80's?

Does the ArtRock emboss devalue the work?

Thanks,
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Devalue? I don't think so. Look up ArtRock or just ask that fellow that posted above you - cushway is Phil Cushway of the ArtRock Gallery...
Tra la la la la...
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:47 pm

I spent two and a half years publishing that print---Phil
whalaw
Site Admin

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:42 pm

ptman wrote:I have come across a serigraph, numbered and signed, that is embossed with ArtRock in the left hand lower corner.

Is this part of the limited run from the late 80's?

Does the ArtRock emboss devalue the work?

Thanks,
No, that is on all the SS-4s.