Ketsueki 09 Malleus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:What about the fans that have been asking for this because they cant or wont drop $2k on the Verdena ?

How are they drymounting their fans ? Their fans buy their stuff because , oh wait it for it let me repeat myself, they enjoy the art work and dont care about "value".

Naive.
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 pm

turnJBup wrote:Talk to me when you have over 100 different Malleus posters.
Ignoring the big picture... seems to be the way things are done these days.
Bottom line... they are drymounting their loyal fans, the ones who buy their art.
It is all about the money, otherwise they wouldn't be reprinting.
Are Verdena and Fantomas (06) among the 100?

Hope I can speak, seeing as I don't have over 100 Malleus posters ... :wink:

I'm wondering if Malleus doing this on purpose? Are they trying to burst their own bubble a bit? I recall someone from last year stating they were pretty shocked about the flipper mentality ... so, trying to add supply would somewhat dig into that ... granted, it certainly has the nice side effect of putting a few duckets in their pockets. Again, just wondering what their mindset is here, aside from let's make a few bucks. And no, I don't think it's that they just want to improve upon the original.

Didn't they do an art print of the Linkin Park poster as well? Thought I recalled an art print of that at TRPS last year, it was pretty limited (far less than 100 if I recall) and I think it was $500-600 or so. Anyone?
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:34 pm

I bet Malleus is just trying to put out an art print they hope people like, and that they don't care about bubbles or expressobeans people.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:39 pm

talkingdeads wrote:I bet Malleus is just trying to put out an art print they hope people like, and that they don't care about bubbles or expressobeans people.
without being a malleus collector or reading much of this thread, this sounds right to me.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

haven wrote:
talkingdeads wrote:I bet Malleus is just trying to put out an art print they hope people like, and that they don't care about bubbles or expressobeans people.
without being a malleus collector or reading much of this thread, this sounds right to me.

Expresso Beans people?
You mean the loyal people who have pushed the paypal button for them for years don't you?
Then yes, they don't care about those people... that's what the gist of this whole thing is.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks for the cool PM Chef!
:)
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:54 pm

turnJBup wrote:Thanks for the cool PM Chef!
:)
me and JBup are going to go hug it out in the corner

:D :lol:
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:08 pm

pig 'n a blanket
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:08 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:What about the fans that have been asking for this because they cant or wont drop $2k on the Verdena ?

How are they drymounting their fans ? Their fans buy their stuff because , oh wait it for it let me repeat myself, they enjoy the art work and dont care about "value".
My 2 cents..

I think that fans are drymounted, because they are playing a game. And each game has rules. This game is a hobby, a collecting hobby. More than that it's a LIMITED EDITION collecting hobby and I believe reprinting, re-hashing huge prints like Verdena drymounts the fans because it suddenly changes the rules, you know. Whoever is into that hobby, I guess, assume legitimatly that gigposters printed in 04, numbered out of 120 are the only 120 pieces that will be printed with that same design on. Why? because there are rules, right? Erick Montes won't reprint something he did 4 years ago, no? I mean, what's that?? Am I the only one assuming that for no reason at all?

Therefore, playing this hobby game with these rules in mind, I believe these practices are drymounting with us players...fans. «Mr. Malleus hardcore art lover and collector» loves this art so much he's willing to trade 2 prints worth $500-$1000 to get that Verdena image on his wall. That is some food on the table for the kids you know. Well, if he suddenly learns that he should have waited 2 months and he could have get very similar art for $100, I think we can all assume here our «Mr. Malleus hardcore art lover and collector» got drymounted..

I agree, that might be an isolated case and more people will benefit the new art print, cause more people want it and couldn't in the past then people who got drymounted like in the situation exposed.. but I'm not sure if more people happy = a good enough reason to change the rules. Non-written rules I entend, I know technically it's their art and they have made some change etc.

And I don't think the debate should be made towards their intention.. I don't think I care. They are good people they made it to please the fans who requested it, bla bla... fine, fine.. they knew they'd do good money reprinting this.. well, I know money is good, you can do a lot of good things with that, maybe creating more art.. meaning I don't care about the intention.. the debate is not there.. they did it, allright. Is it ok to do that?

If it is ok to do that, let's make it clear it's ok too do that, I just want to know. Tell us in the next x years, you'll probably see art prints of all of these (name the prints). It's allright with me as long as I know what's going on. I'll keep my money for something else than the rare Malleus I was eyeing cause the art print will be almost identical and much cheaper.. If these practices are ok, I think to be fair to the fans, it should be clear all those limited edition gigposters could very well be reprinted into art print editions.. a statement that I don't think was very well understood throughout the Malleus art lovers/collectors.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm

ummmm
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Imatruck
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 pm

kyle
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:31 pm

the malleus trio strike me as the type that don't want to be held back or limited by nerdy technical bullshit.

maybe they want to distance themselves from the obsessive uptight collectors...

as a long time supporter and fan i am definitely disappointed.

i traded away a valued print i really liked for a copy of Verdena because i thought it would be my only chance to own that artwork. i never thought malleus would one day pull an art print version out of their ass. i would have waited and held onto that other print that i really liked.

and its not that i feel like the value of the original is threatened. as mentioned the Fantomas/Faireytale thing only boosted the value of the original piece, and i believe that will be true for this as well. its just unfortunate for someone like me when you find out that the rare artwork you obtained from an artist you love is no longer rare because its being re-issued.

i am curious how the art realm reacted back when they reprinted Griffin posters...those weren't even serigraphs.
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:40 pm

kyle wrote: and its not that i feel like the value of the original is threatened. as mentioned the Fantomas/Faireytale thing only boosted the value of the original piece, and i believe that will be true for this as well.
Actually, not one of the original Fantomas prints has sold since Fairytale has been released (nor the Fantomas skeleton redux), at least, it hasnt been recorded here. So, this remains to be seen.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
kingofprussia
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

definitely feel bad for those of you who own the original image. i've got a few hard to find prints in my collection and i'd be super annoyed if the artists re-released the images as art prints or second editions. i think its a good lesson to all of us that these low brow artists will do stuff like this and in the future be mindful about seeking out that high end print b/c it may show up some day as a reprint or reworking. i can see both sides really. the fact that malleus did this with the fairytale print its no surprise to me that they did this with one their most sought after tough to find pieces. these guys don't make a lot of money doing this type of work and this type of stuff isn't a surprise to me. research your artists. i don't ever see jose parla reprinting his pirate alphabet print or banksy reprinting his kate moss series. could i see emek reprinting his decemberists whale print as an art print in 5-10 years? absolutely.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

pewter14 wrote:Didn't they do an art print of the Linkin Park poster as well? Thought I recalled an art print of that at TRPS last year, it was pretty limited (far less than 100 if I recall) and I think it was $500-600 or so. Anyone?
There were art prints of all kinds of stuff at TRPS last year, I'm not a big fan so I don't remember all the specifics, but gigposter art was used on all kinds of different paper, even wood, several times over. I distinctly remember the Linkin Park, but I'm sure there were others too.

I own no Malleus stuff, but here's this guy's opinion: doing an art print and a gigposter of the same image is an okay practice, but it seems a bit shady when there's a five year gap between the two, especially when the first happens to be a highly sought-after piece. And second editions of prints are an accepted practice, I guess, but it always seems corny to me. Look at the clusterfuck that is Warhol: I doubt anyone really knows what's real, what's bootleg, what's a first, second, third edition, etc. And this isn't exactly a Dali/Munch situation, as who knows what'll happen in the future but Malleus isn't yet "fine art." Last point: artists totally deserve to make stacks of cash for their work, and recouping the cost of a US trip (plus profit!) is surely on their minds, but when you have a following like Malleus does, it would have been easy to make the money by drawing another picture instead of mining the past.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.