Ketsueki 09 Malleus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ill
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:20 pm

You know I'm not even sure I want this anymore the more I think about it. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's like hollywood making sequels/remakes of films from 10 years ago. WHY? Apparently a dearth of new ideas and the desire for a quick buck outweigh the rest.
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Theres another yet to be revealed, at a complete guess Id say Linea.
effzio
Art Enthusiast

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:49 pm

In a sense I feel you, but don't disregard the artist's right to improve upon if they feel it is worthwhile something that is theirs. sometimes you just feel you didn't do something as well as you could have the first time around.

zio
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 pm

turnJBup wrote:
ricv64 wrote:looks like a different red metalic in this . edvard munch use to redo prints quite often , it ain't easy to print , i'm also sure it's a upgrade in their printing skills .

It's easier to re-use old art than it is to come up with new art.
Now we know the 1K plus prints we paid for were just practice.... I feel much better.

paid in a private sale ? then no fault to the artists . they have new art too . pretty sure they've had tons of requests to do this as a art print . it seems more people are up set it seems over paying what maybe they deep down felt is too much .

if there were a rules of collecting prints , one would be everyone has paid more then they should of for a print just like everyone has scored a great deal . it ebbs and flows .

malleus are a rad bunch of people who'll take the negative with a grain of salt . they wouldn't pull a ban like some others have over a few comments .
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:52 pm

effzio wrote:In a sense I feel you, but don't disregard the artist's right to improve upon if they feel it is worthwhile something that is theirs. sometimes you just feel you didn't do something as well as you could have the first time around.

zio

totaly
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:37 pm

I've collected Malleus for years and the Verdena has eluded me all this time. Or maybe I should say no matter how much I wanted the print, my pocketbook did have a limit. So till now I resigned myself to the fact that it would be one I'd never own - especially since others have caught on and bidded up the prices on some of the older pieces. I'm pretty happy this is now being printed. Just wish I could make the trip to SF to purchase one. I think the most ardent collectors know the difference between this art print and the original poster. Don't really see how it's "devalued." I just see this as an added opportunity - for the artists and admirers (old and new) of their work.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:43 pm

You are correct, the art belongs to the artists.... Yes they are great people.
When you forget or choose not to think about the loyal fans that have been supporting your art, you risk being dropped quicker than it takes to omit the bands name on the art print.
Sure they can put out an art print for every poster... they can also smash their fingers with a hammer if they wanted to.
Both are bad for business... that's why it's referred to as Hampton'd, or Hamptonized.
tailsandfeathers
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:16 pm

my initial reaction was...."damn, I would be upset if I had spent 2k for this print and now they are reprinting it".....that being said, hopefully I can pick one up.....I begged and pleaded with Jay Ryan to reprint the artwork for the Fugazi Dogs poster....he always told me politely to go to hell. Don't really know why I told that story, but I guess I wanted to show a different perspective..anyway, carry on
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 pm

tailsandfeathers wrote:my initial reaction was...."damn, I would be upset if I had spent 2k for this print and now they are reprinting it".....that being said, hopefully I can pick one up.....I begged and pleaded with Jay Ryan to reprint the artwork for the Fugazi Dogs poster....he always told me politely to go to hell. Don't really know why I told that story, but I guess I wanted to show a different perspective..anyway, carry on
Come to think of it, he doesn't do variants either.
It's an interesting method.
tj
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Everyone who owns this is fired up because they spent so much money on it thinking it was the only way they'd ever get it. Everyone happy are people that don't own it and refused to pay that much for it. Smart buyers or artists betraying fans? I say neither, but obviously, if you're into malleus, your 1k+ prints will be reprinted. At least the people who own the originals from 2k4 and before know that their printing and paper choice was best back then. Jojo said it best - it's like car paint. New glitter bedazzle ink isn't as cool in my opinion.
ill
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Yeah, the fantomas poster is still better than fairytale.

I think the main issue at hand is that if something is printed as a "limited" edition, it seems a bit disingenuous to reprint it with minor modifications, but in the end it's all marketing in one way or another. People just get more attached to artwork than some other things because I think there's more of an emotional connection.

There's also the thrill of the hunt, and we could debate all day about whether there's something happening on a psychological level that might lessen the enjoyment of something like having tracked down an original only to see it more or less reissued.

At the end of the day, Malleus isn't really profiting much off the secondary market value of their prints, but it does create hype which is definitely good for an artist. There's always a fine line that any artist has to tread to be profitable and relevant. There are so many artists out there that struggle to make a living off their artwork in the first place that being able to do that at all is really a testament to those that can actually pull it off.

In summary, I feel like I'm moving through the Kübler-Ross model here.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 pm

I don't own the Verdena...
I do own the Fantomas and was cool with Fairytail, thought it was a one time thing for their first trip over here.
The NIN/Tool just had an unnumbered and unsigned version surface, and now it appears there will eventually be art prints made for the best sellers.
I won't stop buying their prints, but collectors are now forced to take a big step back... the writing is on the wall.
I know all of you understand what I am saying....
I don't feel betrayed, just a little sad.
Everything was tidy and simple with these guys, now it's all over the place.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 pm

ill wrote: There's always a fine line that any artist has to tread to be profitable and relevant. There are so many artists out there that struggle to make a living off their artwork in the first place that being able to do that at all is really a testament to those that can actually pull it off.
Well said.
tj
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Everyone keeps siting fairytale but what about eater of men? Is it only money that fires everyone up or integrity?
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:46 pm

tj wrote:Everyone keeps siting fairytale but what about eater of men? Is it only money that fires everyone up or integrity?

I never got into that print for some reason... never could pull the trigger.
It seems to get overlooked.... don't think it's because of value.
I buy prints I like and would like to frame.
Don't see myself buying expensive ugly stuff just because of a future payoff.... but I am sure it has happened. :)