Ketsueki 09 Malleus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Catarax wrote:
i understand where you are coming from, but sometimes I don't desire a print because it isn't an art print..
So it's okay for you... we get it.
What if the art prints you have been collecting begin to have 2nd editions or they are turned into gig posters 5 years down the road?
Then I think you would understand a little better. :P
Just because the band, date, and info are omitted doesn't make this any less of a shady ass reprint....
It's a sad f'ing day for Malleus collectors period.
scattergood
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:10 am

Rick and Zio - do you really think they are compelled to improve upon their original efforts on Verdena with this? That's a stretch. They've chosen this image for it's instant buzz and ability to sell. They'll sell 60 reprints at $60 and hold 40 back on Italy to mark up at their discretion. This is a financial based decision versus an artistic one, trying to construct an argument otherwise is bullshit.
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may very well be another profound truth. Niels Bohr
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:35 am

... or maybe they'd just like to let fans get their hands on something that is relatively unattainable otherwise. of course, i don't know for sure.

but then again, i'm not a "collector", i just like to buy art that looks nice from time to time.
dirkstainly
EB Team

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:34 am

scattergood wrote: They'll sell 60 reprints at $60 and hold 40 back on Italy to mark up at their discretion.
I would love it if they were $60. I'm not much of a betting man, but I'm guessing they'll be asking more than that if Fairytale and Eatingmen are any guide.
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:47 am

scattergood wrote:Rick and Zio - do you really think they are compelled to improve upon their original efforts on Verdena with this? That's a stretch. They've chosen this image for it's instant buzz and ability to sell. They'll sell 60 reprints at $60 and hold 40 back on Italy to mark up at their discretion. This is a financial based decision versus an artistic one, trying to construct an argument otherwise is bullshit.

doesn't look like they're trying to make it exactly like the first . reprinting , revamping have been around since day one of printing . I think zio put it well .

let me qoute gridlock , " I've never seen a 2nd edition turn out with a shittier print job then the first . Printing is a mass medium , they're making it more avalible ". If people want to stop collecting their stuff , so be it but people crying over and over and throwing a tantrum is silly . If they're making the financial move take in consideration that yeah they run a record label and have a band goin it costs them more money to print in Europe then it does here , they've moved to a new studio . I've seen tons of art prints made from gigposters and not as much venom has been tossed around .
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 am

ricv64 wrote:
scattergood wrote:Rick and Zio - do you really think they are compelled to improve upon their original efforts on Verdena with this? That's a stretch. They've chosen this image for it's instant buzz and ability to sell. They'll sell 60 reprints at $60 and hold 40 back on Italy to mark up at their discretion. This is a financial based decision versus an artistic one, trying to construct an argument otherwise is bullshit.

doesn't look like they're trying to make it exactly like the first . reprinting , revamping have been around since day one of printing . I think zio put it well .

let me qoute gridlock , " I've never seen a 2nd edition turn out with a shittier print job then the first . Printing is a mass medium , they're making it more avalible ". If people want to stop collecting their stuff , so be it but people crying over and over and throwing a tantrum is silly . If they're making the financial move take in consideration that yeah they run a record label and have a band goin it costs them more money to print in Europe then it does here , they've moved to a new studio . I've seen tons of art prints made from gigposters and not as much venom has been tossed around .
Some people around here need something to bitch about on a daily basis. Malleus just happened to be the ones this weekend, then the sheep just followed.

People should be happy. Better printing job as an art print and now this will be accessible to everyone that loved the Verdena but did not want to drop $1200 on it.
tj
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:12 am

you see, i don't see why people get fired up about people getting fired up.

seriously, look at the people who are complainings point of view -- these people have spent thousands -- THOUSANDS -- of dollars to obtain prints. do you really think anyone knows what verdena even sounds like or cares? the people who own this print who spent thousands on it bought it for the art and the art alone. so now they're sad b/c they just spent 2000 dollars on something they can now get for 200 or 300 max even if they miss the onsale. Losing 1700 bucks is always something to be sad about.

for everyone who didn't spend 2k, it's great b/c now they can get it. but you can't honestly expect someone who lost 1700 to not bitch about it. i mean, especially the guy who did spend the 2k directly to the artists less than a year ago when they were touring. of course that dude is going to be sad.

as for artists reprinting fudge -- that's the name of the game. poster collectors get fired up and feel betrayed b/c they're nerds and follow the tom sawyer mentality "In order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain." But, truthfully, the artists own the right to the image and they do fudge like this all the time.

like, think about salvador dali and his lincoln piece. he did a 1st printing, wanted to do a 2nd but didn't change a thing and wasn't allowed to. so he ended up getting so frustrated that he just drew a crude, 2-second doodle of himself sticking his tongue out on it and said "there, now it's different" and they printed it.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that people getting butt-hurt about other people bitching about getting screwed by this is ridiculous. this is going to happen forever until 2012 when the entire earth spirals into the sun and people who spent a lot of cash on the after market are going to bitch about it. i mean, it's better they bitch about this than call up the artists house and leave dirty messages b/c their on-sale crashed the server, right?
ill
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:35 am

TJ,

I totally agree with 90% of what you said. However, I think the part that really sticks in my craw is that it just seems like an obvious money grab. Sure artists are out to make money, I get that... so create new art. No need to rehash old stuff. It's like Hollywood saying "hey, we know this film has a huge following, so let's remake it because we no longer have any original ideas... but the effects budget will be huge, and we'll ride it all the way to the bank!"

How would you feel if they remade Roadhouse starring Freddie Prinz Jr.?
tj
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 am

ill wrote:How would you feel if they remade Roadhouse starring Freddie Prinz Jr.?
haha. fudge, aren't they re-making robocop? what a nightmare. and a pre-quel to "the thing?" DISASTER.

hahaha - when watchmen was in early production, these were steph's picks for the actors:

1. Brangelina as simultaneous 2 or 3 characters each
2. Shia LeBouf as comic relief that didn't exist earlier
3. George Clooney as Nite Owl, pretending to be fat
4. Tom Cruise as 60-foot-tall Doctor Manhattan
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 am

ill wrote:TJ,

I totally agree with 90% of what you said. However, I think the part that really sticks in my craw is that it just seems like an obvious money grab. Sure artists are out to make money, I get that... so create new art. No need to rehash old stuff. It's like Hollywood saying "hey, we know this film has a huge following, so let's remake it because we no longer have any original ideas... but the effects budget will be huge, and we'll ride it all the way to the bank!"

How would you feel if they remade Roadhouse starring Freddie Prinz Jr.?
I expect all of this to occur now. Better than being too disappointed. Things are being remade at a high rate, including films.
Not saying that it's the case here, but I do know some artists that want to re-do something as a commemoration or to improve on printing.
moonshine
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 am

reprints are an obvious money grab and I think a big mistake for Malleus....pissing off their hardcore collectors is stupid because they don't have a big enough base of collectors.., The only time I ever hear "Malleus" is when I am here....Some of their stuff is really nice...but they are sooo overrated and except for the older stuff, I really don't see their value holding....and with these reprints I would now never chase down an older print.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:59 am

moonshine wrote:The only time I ever hear "Malleus" is when I am here....Some of their stuff is really nice...but they are sooo overrated and except for the older stuff, I really don't see their value holding...
Part of it is a money grab, I'm sure, but there could be other explanations.

This is the only place I hear of 80% of the artists I like.
Completely disagree that they are overrated.

Claiming they're overrated partially conflicts with saying that you only hear about them here.
aahnutz
EB Team

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 am

moonshine wrote:reprints are an obvious money grab and I think a big mistake for Malleus....pissing off their hardcore collectors is stupid because they don't have a big enough base of collectors.., The only time I ever hear "Malleus" is when I am here....Some of their stuff is really nice...but they are sooo overrated and except for the older stuff, I really don't see their value holding....and with these reprints I would now never chase down an older print.
1) I don't think it's a money grab or a big mistake.
2) I'm not pissed off. Neither are some other members here who have been collecting their work for five years or more.
3) Their base has been expanding over the past two to three years. Unfortunately, at the same time, there has been a growing number of people who only buy to resell - thus driving the price up on their prints.
4) Disregard the hype here. But you're mistaken if you think EB is the only place their work is discussed.
5) Overrated? I don't think so. How many pieces do you own?
6) I only buy what I like so the "holding value" argument doesn't work for me.
7) There's still a few older pieces I wish I owned, but I refuse to pay some of the outrageous sums others are paying. I don't cry over it. Who knows...maybe some day I'll get lucky.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 am

faireytale and the fantomas aussie poster have not hurt the value of the original fantomas/melvins print.........in fact they probably have increased it's value.

Although, I don't really care for the hamptonization of images.........it's their's to do what they want w/ it.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
macc5
EB Team

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:37 am

in having dealt with them for years now I don't believe its a money grab... they are just not like that.

they enjoy doing the work and are excited in their recent discoveries in printing... they also heard from many folks on doing something like this....

so like it or don't like it, buy it or not