Off The Grid 09 Brabant

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
clem99
EB Team

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

kramer73 wrote:
I like the print, not really enough to pick one up right now, but I do like it.

image is good, the incoming pics posted though have the print looking grainy, if it so then a little disappointing for me, oh well
art is the only justification for pain :)
7th_son
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm sad to say that I'm glad I couldn't and didn't pull the trigger on this. I like the image, but the pics look bad and the concept is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Time to think about getting someone else to print for you MB....
Great image, huge potential, poor execution.
mcnail
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:28 am

turnJBup wrote:Time to think about getting someone else to print for you MB....
Great image, huge potential, poor execution.
It's not the printer. D&L are the best printers in the business.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:47 am

ya there more i look at it, i think its supposed to have that grainy look to it! oh well i love it and think MB art is really good!
Same fudge, different drop.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 pm

gonzo303 wrote:ya there more i look at it, i think its supposed to have that grainy look to it!
Naw, it's just an unavoidable byproduct that comes from using halftones to try to simulate a full color photo.. and why folks warned about digital image vs. actual print.

D&L can only work with the files they're sent... some artists are just more skilled at breaking down imagery into well-defined separations for printing (see: anything Dan MacAdam aka Crosshair has done)
IggyD
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:08 pm

mcgod wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:ya there more i look at it, i think its supposed to have that grainy look to it!
Naw, it's just an unavoidable byproduct that comes from using halftones to try to simulate a full color photo.. and why folks warned about digital image vs. actual print.

D&L can only work with the files they're sent... some artists are just more skilled at breaking down imagery into well-defined separations for printing (see: anything Dan MacAdam aka Crosshair has done)
Will if it is only the separations that is giving this appearance, D&L does that for you if you cannot do them yourself. That would have to mean it was the original file to begin with and therefore intended.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 pm

IggyD wrote:
mcgod wrote:

Will if it is only the separations that is giving this appearance, D&L does that for you if you cannot do them yourself. That would have to mean it was the original file to begin with and therefore intended.
Nope.. you're confused.
The artist decides how the final image will print by how it's designed, you sep it yourself or let the printer do it.. I've used plenty of 'em in the past. It would cost much more to pay D&L to break it out/print it in the amount of colors you'd need to accurately represent the full-color photo, and that's why you end up using so many halftones... they're easier and cheaper, but they look shitty (imo). An artist like Crosshair knows how to break his digital photos down into just a few colors that will represent the final imagery in a screenprint, and that's a skill Brabant doesn't have... if he did, he would do it imo.

This is all about the ability of the artist to think ahead and design for a particular medium... some artists know how to break full color stuff down (ie digital photos) so they look good when screened, some artists aren't and just halftone everything.
IggyD
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 pm

mcgod wrote:
IggyD wrote:
mcgod wrote:

Nope.. you're confused.
The artist decides how the final image will print by how it's designed, you sep it yourself or let the printer do it.. I've used plenty of 'em in the past. It would cost much more to pay D&L to break it out/print it in the amount of colors you'd need to accurately represent the full-color photo, and that's why you end up using so many halftones... they're easier and cheaper, but they look shitty (imo). An artist like Crosshair knows how to break his digital photos down into just a few colors that will accurately represent the final imagery in a screenprint, and that's a skill Brabant doesn't have... if he did, he would do it imo.

This is all about the ability of the artist to think ahead and design for a particular medium so it accurately represents the final imagery in a screenprint... some artists know how to break full color stuff down (ie digital photos) so they look good when screened, some artists aren't and just halftone everything.
I agree about the cost involve as they charge $50/hour but I am not confuse. You are basically saying what I stated. That the print is as intended.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:51 pm

IggyD wrote:
mcgod wrote:
IggyD wrote:
mcgod wrote:ya there more i look at it, i think its supposed to have that grainy look to it!

Nope.. you're confused.
The artist decides how the final image will print by how it's designed, you sep it yourself or let the printer do it.. I've used plenty of 'em in the past. It would cost much more to pay D&L to break it out/print it in the amount of colors you'd need to accurately represent the full-color photo, and that's why you end up using so many halftones... they're easier and cheaper, but they look shitty (imo). An artist like Crosshair knows how to break his digital photos down into just a few colors that will accurately represent the final imagery in a screenprint, and that's a skill Brabant doesn't have... if he did, he would do it imo.

This is all about the ability of the artist to think ahead and design for a particular medium so it accurately represents the final imagery in a screenprint... some artists know how to break full color stuff down (ie digital photos) so they look good when screened, some artists aren't and just halftone everything.
I agree about the cost involve as they charge $50/hour but I am not confuse. You are basically saying what I stated. That the print is as intended.
Not really. We're both making assumptions as to his intentions of course, but I find it hard to believe that an artist that's gotten a lot of flak for halftoning would deliberately use it unless that's all he could do due to cost etc.
My point continues to be that no one uses halftones that much unless they have to.. that's not a deliberate artistic choice imo, it's dictated by his limitations as a production artist.
IggyD
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:08 pm

So you are agreeing with me and saying it was intended or no?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:42 pm

IggyD wrote:So you are agreeing with me and saying it was intended or no?
I have been in deep thought on this and believe it's intentional due to the degree of half-toning, the inspiration of the print and to give the print a washed out, aged feel.

When you step away from the print it kind of serves another purpose

Whether you feel it could have been more successfully executed is a personal opinion.

This whole thing with this print relating to something else adds perspectives....... and what was Marks ultimate goal with the inspiration- this might shed some light on if it's his level of talent :roll: or somebodies else lack of perception. :lol:
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 pm

IggyD wrote:So you are agreeing with me and saying it was intended or no?
mcgod wrote:that's not a deliberate artistic choice imo, it's dictated by his limitations as a production artist.
I suppose you could argue that it's intended based on the fact he made a choice during production, but my argument is an artistic one. He showcases the digital images, then (imo) has to compromise those images in order to screenprint them-- I'm just not a fan of that method, but like we've said it's cheaper and quicker. IMO if it was intended throughout the design process, he'd showcase the halftoned images, not photoshop comps.

Designing and preparing an image for screenprinting is an art in itself, and I don't think enough people acknowledge that.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:51 pm

My company likes to think in the world of perfection too, then there is reality- then there are UFO's........

great discussion
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:30 pm

I have to agree with 7th son and a few others that the virtually direct image-lift from the Royskopp video was in poor form. If that info was posted on Mark’s site when I bought the print, it may not have bothered me so much, but it does. That being said, the print is considerably more flat than I expected, and doesn’t pop like Wirewalker.

If nothing else, Mark’s occasional releases provide a learning curve for collectors and I think the artist alike here in the forums. There’s no question that D&L has no responsibility for any shortcomings in this print. Plus, the half-toning has put off more than a few collectors in the past and I definitely get that.

For my friends who have seen the print in the flesh at my home; mind you that none are poster collectors, all really dig it. While I won’t quite see this print in the same light, sort of like his Dec. 9, 1965, I’m not complaining- like I said “learning curve.” I will probably pass this along to a friend and in doing so; hopefully bring someone else into this poster-collecting community who might have some bucks to shell out to the artists or flippers around here.