Dave Matthews Band Las Vegas II 09 Methane

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed May 20, 2009 10:44 am

Sorry, but if you think that Panic poster was the first one to use playing cards/jacks you are sorely mistaken.

For (a much better) example:

schmoff
Art Expert

Wed May 20, 2009 10:45 am

jimmyhoops wrote:
jamel-d wrote:
jimmyhoops wrote:Sorry folks, but not very original....hmmm, kinda looks like this: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1562. The least Methane could have done is to pick a different card. :roll: At least Panic has a song called "Jack" to give the poster some significance. And the lyric that ties it all together is "Jack was really a jester, he kept his ONE good eye on the queen..."
Blackjack always looks better in spades than in clubs. I think the Methane posters tell a bit about where DMB is playing, not a song.
Now who's going to trade me Jack 29?

My point was not so much about tying the poster to a song...Panic nailed that one; but in being original-which Methane is NOT in creating this poster. The fact that Methane more or less copied another work and passed it off their own is pathetic...right down to the One Eyed Jack holding a guitar. :shock: I think it might be tolorable if it was the same artist using a past idea for a gig poster. But to outright steal an idea is incredibly weak! :hanging:

Methane Studios has a talented group of artists associated with it. And there are about a million other Vegas Icons that could have been used instead of an idea that has been covered :!:

the chicken or the egg?

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1611
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 am

jjbehren wrote:Sorry, but if you think that Panic poster was the first one to use playing cards/jacks you are sorely mistaken.

For (a much better) example:

Using a card for a gig poster is nothing new. Here's a prime example that well pre-dates all of the above: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/5347

What is different is that the panic poster incorporated an original idea...that being the guitar held by the Jack.

That is where the card idea took a different spin for the Panic poster. There is nothing wrong using cards for a vegas poster...it's a natural tie-in with Sin City. But comparing the Methane DMB print next to the Lucchesi Panic print, it's VERY obvious who ripped off who.

This is not a chicken vs. egg argument, but the FACT that the DMB print is an obvious copy and in essence a stolen idea.

Now if the Panic poster had more closely resembled the Pearl Jam poster (perhaps the dual card idea or a matching banner), then you might have an argument.
~JimmyHoops...Widespread Panic and Grateful Dead Poster Fanatic!
jojobadass
Art God

Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 am

I doubt any of these were the first.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
SideshowRob
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 pm

jimmyhoops wrote:
jamel-d wrote:
jimmyhoops wrote:Sorry folks, but not very original....hmmm, kinda looks like this: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1562. The least Methane could have done is to pick a different card. :roll: At least Panic has a song called "Jack" to give the poster some significance. And the lyric that ties it all together is "Jack was really a jester, he kept his ONE good eye on the queen..."
Blackjack always looks better in spades than in clubs. I think the Methane posters tell a bit about where DMB is playing, not a song.

My point was not so much about tying the poster to a song...Panic nailed that one; but in being original-which Methane is NOT in creating this poster. The fact that Methane more or less copied another work and passed it off their own is pathetic...right down to the One Eyed Jack holding a guitar. :shock: I think it might be tolorable if it was the same artist using a past idea for a gig poster. But to outright steal an idea is incredibly weak! :hanging:

Methane Studios has a talented group of artists associated with it. And there are about a million other Vegas Icons that could have been used instead of an idea that has been covered :!:
Somebody thinks their fudge smells like roses i think...
johnr1311
Art Expert

Thu May 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I have seen something like this in a frame somewhere before. :wink:
dangerboy wrote:i think he thinks we think more about what he thinks than we actually think of what he thinks
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 22, 2009 12:01 am

SideshowRob wrote:
jimmyhoops wrote:
jamel-d wrote:

Somebody thinks their fudge smells like roses i think...
That comment makes absolutely no sense. I don't work for either artist, but can clearly see a stolen idea when it appears. If you have a counter argument to the FACT that the idea for this poster is stolen , then bring it! Otherwise, keep lurking. The fact remains that the artwork for this poster is A TOTAL RIP OFF! Lucchesi should call out Methane's artist Robert Lee, who created this forgery, and tell him to get a clue as well as an original idea!
Last edited by jimmyhoops on Fri May 22, 2009 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 am

johnr1311 wrote:I have seen something like this in a frame somewhere before. :wink:

This poster is definitely cool and clearly a unique work. Again, the card idea for a Vegas gig poster is nothing new. What matters most (IMO) is presenting a timeless theme (a playing card in this instance) with new and refreshing elements to make it unique relative to what has preceded it.

The whole 3 card set is even cooler: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/14018
SideshowRob
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:03 pm

jimmyhoops wrote:
jimmyhoops wrote:
jamel-d wrote:

That comment makes absolutely no sense. I don't work for either artist, but can clearly see a stolen idea when it appears. If you have a counter argument to the FACT that the idea for this poster is stolen , then bring it! Otherwise, keep lurking. The fact remains that the artwork for this poster is A TOTAL RIP OFF! Lucchesi should call out Methane's artist Robert Lee, who created this forgery, and tell him to get a clue as well as an original idea!
the basis of your argument is laughable... He wasn't the first one to make a poster of a card. he won't be the last. just because you think his is the best, everyone is copying his work? Just because someone paints a mountain and then someone paints the same mountain after him doesn't mean he stole his friggen idea to paint the mountain...

Simply, DMB has a lyric in The Song That Jane Likes, "One-eyed Jack of Spades" and they made a poster based on the card... Relax. Get over it.
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Buy it, frame it, drymount it, make it the centerpiece of your collection...I don't care. :roll: It's still a stolen idea since absolutely no attempt was made to make it unique. Period! :hanging:
automator
Nobody

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:18 pm

New image Jack