Ibogaine Conference Sayulita, Mexico 09 Hunter

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:38 pm

red mat is different. I like it. Its bold. There's a ton of blue in the print, so I think it was wise to not go with a blue mat. I think one can use the red, green, or black as mat choices. Black on top with either underneath? Should look rad as well.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
tda44
Art Enthusiast

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:40 pm

thanks, i like the red too. tried a couple blues on top of the red, but just was too hard to find the right shade o' blue. it did look really cool when i practiced on the american fame website though. i appreciate the feedback. in terms of balance the griffin should probably be hung on top, but this way i stare at this as i walk down the stairs!
tim
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Congrats Tim! Thx for sharing with us.. It looks terrific imo. It looks classic man!!! and it feels damn good to already see some quality framing emerging out of this one.. I'm still anxiously waiting for mine...

That frame is a straight black aluminium one, right?
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
tda44
Art Enthusiast

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 am

tranito,
thanks for the encouragement. the frame is aluminum, about an inch wide and an inch and a half deep. the whole thing was about 100 bucks at a mom and pop place i really like. the black border on the print acts like another matte and is uber cool with the lines fanning out from the center of print. hope you'll share pix of yours when you get it framed.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am

Thx Tim for stopping by once again with extra info and pic... these are very valuable to me and will make great references when time will come.... it also acts as straight up eye-candy too! :wink:

Also, for anyone interested, a member has uploaded interesting pics in the image gallery... some foil sickness and also a cool doodle...
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
St.Alphonzo
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 am

I just got this back from the framer. Went with a black mat and a silver wood frame. I think it looks great. Will try to post picks later today when I get home.
St.Alphonzo
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 am

Photo was taken on my phone and doesn't do it justice, but I'm going to throw it up here anyway to help people work through different framing ideas.
tda44
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm

tres chic. i like your version alot. thanks for sharing
southerngarden
Art Expert

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 pm

i just got back on the grid and thanks to ryan had this waiting for me at home....amazing print.

i really dig that red mat!
tda44
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 pm

thanks, but i think this poster is so cool you can't go wrong, no matter how you frame it up!
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm

All the other artists will have to work really hard to dethrone this poster from the "Poster of the year" podium

This is one of the best if not The Best poster I have in my collection

Dave thank you so much for this amazing work!
android
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:02 pm

tda44 wrote:thanks, but i think this poster is so cool you can't go wrong, no matter how you frame it up!
Very nice.
Which version of the Griffin do you have hanging there?
tda44
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:29 pm

judging only on how little i paid for it about 15 years ago, i think it must be the european version. it's been framed a long time, is there a way to know without busting open the frame? i read where the "jose" version is a little muddy, mine is printed pretty well (to the untrained eye). you've piqued me interest now...
android
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 pm

tda44 wrote:judging only on how little i paid for it about 15 years ago, i think it must be the european version. it's been framed a long time, is there a way to know without busting open the frame? i read where the "jose" version is a little muddy, mine is printed pretty well (to the untrained eye). you've piqued me interest now...
Avalon Ballroom 1/24-26/69
Catalog No. AOR-2.24
Considered by many to be one of the greatest rock posters of all time, this classic Rick Griffin design is known as “Aoxomoxoa,” and was used as the title and cover design for the Grateful Dead’s third album. After the Family Dog left the Avalon Ballroom, Soundproof Productions became the first company to produce rock shows there. This poster was used to promote the very first Soundproof show in January 1969. Griffin’s artistic genius shines brightly in this poster’from the incredible lettering to the sexual symbology. While there are numerous bootlegs of this poster, there are also several legitimate printings that fit every budget.

The original poster was printed on thick white stock, and measures approximately 21¾″ x 26¼″.

The second print poster was printed on thick white stock, and measures approximately 21¾″ x 26¼″. This printing is commonly known as “Jose’s late night printing,” and was printed by Jose Kent.

The third printing was printed on medium-weight stock and measures approximately 21¾″ x 26¼″. This printing was produced for the Roundhouse show in London and is marked as “1976 European Limited Edition” and bears a serial number.

The fourth printing was printed by Art Rock on thick white stock and measures approximately 26″ x 40″. In addition to the poster, this printing includes three tickets at the bottom and an embossed replica of Griffin’s signature.

The original handbill was printed on stock matching the original poster and measures approximately 5¾″ x 7″.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Mine just came really damaged. Man I'm so bummed. :cry:

Was really looking forward to hanging this one. :hanging: