AOR Vancouver Trips Fest 66

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 pm

This topic is dedicated to: AOR Vancouver Trips Fest 66

ericvance
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 pm

In addition to the poster, there was also a handbill produced for the festival. The handbill has the same image as the poster on one side and a bunch of information on the the other side about where to buy tickets, etc. I've posted an image of the back of the handbill.
ericvance
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:49 pm

A few tidbits of information here. The Grateful Dead's 1966 visit to Vancouver as part of the three day Vancouver Trips festival marked their first shows outside the US.

The band played all three days at the Trips Festival – July 29-31. The July 29 and 30th shows are in circulation among Deadheads. The recordings are a bit rough, but they are true "primal Dead". The July 31st show is not in circulation at all.

The Dead stayed in town for the rest of the week at the request of Jerry Kruz, who co-owned the Afterthought club in Vancouver while still in his teens, and heard them play at the Trips Festival. (The other co-owner of the Afterthought was Roger Schiffer, who went on to open Vancouver's Retinal Circus).

Jerry told me he paid the Dead $500 and also paid for their accommodation in a cheap motel, although some of the band members apparently ended up crashing at several “hippy houses” in Vancouver.

The band played at the Afterthought on the Friday night, then headed back to San Francisco by bus for a show on, I believe, Sunday night at the Fillmore. There is no known recording of the Afterthought show.

http://www.walnutst.com/img/item/dead_on_haight.gif

The Mustang in above photo was owned by Jerry Kruz. Jerry became friends with the band as a result of their Vancouver visit and performance at his club. He used to drive down to San Francisco every few months to hang out with them.

The band wanted a picture of themselves standing at San Francisco's most famous intersection. Above photo was taken by San Francisco rock photographer Herb Greene around the end of 1966.

Jerry was visiting them at the time and his car was parked in the background while the photo was taken. Also with Jerry on this trip was Bob Masse, a young Vancouver artist just starting his career doing posters for rock shows. Bob, who now lives on Saltspring Island near Vancouver, went on to design some of the most well-known images in rock poster art, lincluding the famous poster for the Grateful Dead's 1967 return visit to Vancouver that is featured in AOR as well as on this site. .........

http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=784

And Jerry Kruz has recently returned to promoting shows in Vancouver after a long career as a social worker, reviving Afterthought Productions. He recently (April 2005) brought the Country Joe Band to Vancouver and Victoria and Bob Masse designed the poster, continuing a nearly 40-year collaboration.........

http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=25984
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:11 pm

According to the most recent auction currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grateful-Dead-Trips ... dZViewItem

"Up for auction is an Original First Print Poster for theGrateful Dead - Trips Festival (Acid Test) in Vancouver, Canada. July 29, 30, and 31, 1966 -- This is THE NICEST ONE KNOWN. -- -- -- -- This Poster measures approx. 9 1/2" by 13" and it is in NM Condition for a 1966 Poster. There are NO issues with this poster. It is one of the nicest condition Acid Test / Trips Festival Posters I have ever seen. There is a SLIGHT toning on the edges, but even that's not really noticable. -- -- -- -- This is one of the rarest Acid Test / Trips Festival Posters known to exist. -- -- There are about 7 or 8 known for Jan. Longshoreman's Hall. There are at least 7 Known for the April Longshoreman's Hall. There are only about 5 Known to exist for this piece. The one featured on the internet as one included. -- -- This is the first time the Grateful Dead went to Canada -- -- In the past several years, 4 of these have passed through my hands. Each one was upgraded for a nicer condition one. This one was the best and last one to come my way. Several serious collectors out there who one one have gotten them through me. I aquired them from a serious collector in Canada. He was a personal friend of Captain Consciousness who put on the show and several others in Canada at the time. The first one came from his personal collection. Shortly after that, another one came his way and he offered it to me. Another one came from JC when he sold off his collection. Then, finally I aquired this one. THE NICEST ONE KNOWN TO EXIST!!!"

Moderator, please note size and rarity.

Just FYI,
Jimmy
automator
Nobody

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:00 pm

New image Trips Festival Vancouver 66 Sawyer
Handbill Reverse
Image courtesy auction.sixtiesposters.com.

automator
Nobody

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 pm

New image Trips Festival Vancouver 66 Sawyer
Handbill Front
Image coutesy auction.sixtiesposters.com.

automator
Nobody

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am

New image Trips Festival Vancouver 66 Sawyer Wise - Alternate Handbill

Parrish02
Art Enthusiast

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm

The "Alternate Handbill" listing is not a handbill. It is a ticket for the event.
Mike Storeim
Classic Posters, Inc.
http://www.classicposters.com