Grateful Dead Yardbirds SF 66 Wilson Greene

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Grateful Dead Yardbirds SF 66 Wilson Greene

goodonya

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Anyone have any info on the apparent swapping of the image on BG 32? I've been lead to believe that the 1st pc had the photo image of Garcia with the light source hitting Garcia's left side (or the right side when viewing the poster) and then the image was flipped for the 1st print poster. I've seen both versions represented for posters on various web sites and ebay listings ... anyone have the definitive answer to this as I wait for my Eric King Guide to arrive? :shock:
franklinstowr
Flipper

Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:43 pm

I believe the poster with the flipped image is a bootleg
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Nope. According to the EKG, "the photograph of Jerry Garcia on the poster is reversed on the postcard." I assume that's the case with all authentic BG32 posters and postcards.
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:14 pm

mfs67 I'm not sure what the nope means...are you saying its not a bootleg if the poster image has the reverse lighting?

I was once asked to authenticate one with the flipped image, contacted Eric and he offered to look at it so I sent it to him. I recall he told me that he suspected it was a bootleg with the image source being the card with the flipped image that was at some point copied and produced as a poster with the flipped image...he then bought it for $50 so he could have a copy of this newly found "boot" in his collection for archival/comparative purposes...which was acceptable to the person who asked me to check into it for him, so I always suspected it was a boot based on my direct involvement with Eric on that one.
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I was saying that it isn't a bootleg poster if the image is the reverse of the postcard image. I may have misunderstood, but thought that franklinstower was saying that an authentic poster would not have the reverse image of the postcard.
woodyland
Art Expert

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:54 pm

ok, the above comments are clear as mud. I'm looking at another of these @ ebay and would like to know which is the original & on what format, poster or postcard, & then which edition was the negative reversed. Maybe someone w/an Eric King connection can get the definitive word? Thanks
They're a Band Beyond Description, like Jehovah's Favorite Choir
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:26 pm

On the postcard, the light source is on Jerry's left side (which would be your right side when viewing the postcard).

On the poster, the light source is on Jerry's right side (which would be your left side when viewing the poster).

I believe this is the case with all authentic printings, as Eric King simply states that "the photograph of Jerry Garcia on the poster is reversed on the postcard."

I have one each of the poster and postcard, and they conform to these descriptions.
macc5
EB Team

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:28 pm

super cool print..

bring it to TRPS to get signed! :pint:
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 pm

It sure is, but I have a bunch that I'd rather have signed.
macc5
EB Team

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 pm

mfs67 wrote:It sure is, but I have a bunch that I'd rather have signed.
wes is back again this year! moscoso as well as mouse and conklin
BillHolder

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:31 am

I was getting ready to list my BG-32 poster on Ebay. It has been stored since the early 70's with 97 other BG & FD posters in mint, or near mint condition. Trying to find a value I found out about the Garcia facing left issue. My poster has Garcia facing left, just like the post card, and appears to be an index card type stock.

I would propose this theory:
The postcard, and matching poster facing left was printed at the same time. The picture of Garcia was not as good as they wished, so they cleaned up the picture, and printed the next posters with Garcia facing right. If you look at the pictures facing left you will find the wall in the background has some type of symbols on it. These have been airbrushed out on the facing right picture in which also the negative appears flipped.

The question is when was the postcards printed ? It is my understanding that the postcards were printed, and sent out announcing the concert.
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm

The image you've uploaded matches the appearance of an authentic BG-32 poster. As described above, the light source is on Jerry's right side. On the postcard, the image is reversed.
BillHolder

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:21 pm

I agree with you, but notice the shadow of Jerry Garcias nose on the first example here on Expressobeans. In this example provided by SixtiesPosters.com. Jerry Garcias nose is shaded on the opposite side than mine. Also the example on the first post of this thread Jerry Garcias nose is shaded on the opposite side than mine.

My brain tells me that if the postcards match my poster then they were probably printed together at the same time. Since postcards were a primary promotional tool they were printed before the event.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1228
Last edited by BillHolder on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:28 pm

They're both the same image, which I'm pretty sure is the postcard and not the poster.