Sonic Solutions Incorporated 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ApfelGeld
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Due to The Giant Forum, the PayPal invoices have started to trickle in.
sunsetbrew wrote:We are all hype machines, even though we don't want to be.
kingofprussia wrote:The power of EB. It never ceases to amaze me.
tourist504 wrote:Poster collectors, baby. A force with which to be reckoned!!!
Mapman
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:27 am

Check your emails!
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:47 am

pjtaper wrote:that was TOOOOOO easy!
obey is definitely losing its edge. Increasingly people are turned off by him; the artwork isn't as inspiring anymore, and everyone who wants a "red/black" or "red/blue" poster by obey has got one.

That's part of the problem with using the same colour scheme throughout your posters... if you didn't get the ultra-limited edition version from 3 years ago, you can buy this week's print. For the majority of people, its 'good enough'.

Add on the fact that people aren't finding his artwork original anymore, or that his work has come under so much criticism for plagiarism is a real big turn off.

Years ago, Obey has been seen as an 'alternative' brand, but now he is the mainstream. And when you become the mainstream, you'll lose a lot of the early adopters that gave you the credibility that brought you the attention in the first place.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:49 am

jodeci78 wrote:
pjtaper wrote:that was TOOOOOO easy!
obey is definitely losing its edge. Increasingly people are turned off by him; the artwork isn't as inspiring anymore, and everyone who wants a "red/black" or "red/blue" poster by obey has got one.

That's part of the problem with using the same colour scheme throughout your posters... if you didn't get the ultra-limited edition version from 3 years ago, you can buy this week's print. For the majority of people, its 'good enough'.

Add on the fact that people aren't finding his artwork original anymore, or that his work has come under so much criticism for plagiarism is a real big turn off.

Years ago, Obey has been seen as an 'alternative' brand, but now he is the mainstream. And when you become the mainstream, you'll lose a lot of the early adopters that gave you the credibility that brought you the attention in the first place.
$100 t-shirts at Nordstroms and other places does not help either
Catarax
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 am

I'm just gonna get a RED/BLK one, seems like the best bet... I don't get why BLK is 10 bucks extra even when the run is 100 less, it's only 1 color... it shouldn't cost more for less effort, esp when the RED/BLK looks better, IMO.. the 3D is a good idea... probably gonna kick myself in ass later down the road if it ends up being worth a shitload... just to expensive for my taste right now...
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:06 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
$100 t-shirts at Nordstroms and other places does not help either
agreed.

he's created a mini industry where he churns out branded junk... and when people know they can turn a $50 poster into $300 in a month... they'll do it.

for the most part, the early prints were bought by people who liked the image, etc... but increasingly, people buy obey prints as tradebait or to flip. Flipping is worth it if you're the ONLY guy who's doing it.. but when 300 people buy a poster and 250 of them are just wanting to flip it, the market becomes flooded.

people are doing it for every release, and thats fine... but at some point, they'll say "wow, i spent $1500 on obey posters... and ebeans says its worth $5,000... I'm rich"... I bet when they try to sell it, it will be a sobering experience.

add in the fact that I haven't seen a poster that I was "wow"ed with in recent memory, means that the bottom will soon fall out.
Catarax
Art Expert

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:42 pm

i like it... :P
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:27 am

does the lack of responses mean everyone agrees with me?
db23
Art Expert

Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 am

jodeci78 wrote:does the lack of responses mean everyone agrees with me?
agree with most of it. i actually think the clothing (or at least what i've seen) is pretty cool and affordable. obviously the prints are extremely affordable. my gripe with Obey recently is just the lack of quality and what seems like effort in the printed product. 2008's prints have been absolutely pathetic. i have a very hard time believing that Shepard is even the one designing them. these seem more like the works of art students (or Studio Number One employees). it started out pretty well with the LA Philharmonic print but there hasn't been a print that has really grabbed me since. then you find yourself buying the prints each week because you a. feel obligated to buy them because you've supported them for years and do it out of habit b. you know you'll be able to trade them or c. you know you'll be able to sell them on ebay.

the Bauhaus and SSI prints are where i finally drew the line because i have no interest in the subjects nor the images and really couldn't fathom anyone outside of hardcore fans wanting them. and for record, my entire dining room is Obey. 13 framed prints all around and they look sweet!
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:08 pm

db23 wrote:
agree with most of it. i actually think the clothing (or at least what i've seen) is pretty cool and affordable. obviously the prints are extremely affordable. my gripe with Obey recently is just the lack of quality and what seems like effort in the printed product. 2008's prints have been absolutely pathetic. i have a very hard time believing that Shepard is even the one designing them. these seem more like the works of art students (or Studio Number One employees). it started out pretty well with the LA Philharmonic print but there hasn't been a print that has really grabbed me since. then you find yourself buying the prints each week because you a. feel obligated to buy them because you've supported them for years and do it out of habit b. you know you'll be able to trade them or c. you know you'll be able to sell them on ebay.

the Bauhaus and SSI prints are where i finally drew the line because i have no interest in the subjects nor the images and really couldn't fathom anyone outside of hardcore fans wanting them. and for record, my entire dining room is Obey. 13 framed prints all around and they look sweet!
good points. remember the addage about only collecting what you like? I am sometimes guilty of not following that rule... its easy to buy with the intent of flipping... but its just as easy to get burnt.
db23
Art Expert

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:50 pm

jodeci78 wrote: good points. remember the addage about only collecting what you like? I am sometimes guilty of not following that rule... its easy to buy with the intent of flipping... but its just as easy to get burnt.
you're absolutely right. i used to only buy Obey prints i liked and then i think back to the prints of Fairey's wife and Afrocentric (both of which i thought were just terrible) where i gladly passed only to find out that weeks after their release they were both selling for 7+ times the retail amount. that'll make you think twice.
toyroom
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Just a frendly reminder on the SSI Print.

If you've been invoiced please pay TODAY... or you'll be bumped and your order will go to the next person in line.

There are still SSI BLK & SSI RED/BLK available.
rise1111
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Can we add these as a set... all three arrived via fedex with the same number.

Oh and btw, not trying to to stir things up or disagree with people necessarily but ...

"To me selling out is doing things purely for the money without concern for the consequences to integrity. Let's face it though, money is freedom. For some it is freedom to buy cocaine and cars... for me, my design earnings give me freedom to produce my propaganda work and travel to other cities to put it up. It is also gives me freedom to keep an art gallery that is never profitable open. People often accuse anyone who does not fulfill their image of fine artist as suffering martyr of being a sell-out."

Shepard Fairey, AIGA Interview June 04, 2004

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/intervi ... these-year
ryan_1969

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:19 pm

rise1111 wrote:Can we add these as a set... all three arrived via fedex with the same number.

Oh and btw, not trying to to stir things up or disagree with people necessarily but ...

"To me selling out is doing things purely for the money without concern for the consequences to integrity. Let's face it though, money is freedom. For some it is freedom to buy cocaine and cars... for me, my design earnings give me freedom to produce my propaganda work and travel to other cities to put it up. It is also gives me freedom to keep an art gallery that is never profitable open. People often accuse anyone who does not fulfill their image of fine artist as suffering martyr of being a sell-out."

Shepard Fairey, AIGA Interview June 04, 2004

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/intervi ... these-year
:lol: that sounds like a political spin. he even openly admits selling out by going on about his new found freedom, aka money. :lol: nothing to be ashamed of. this kin of front and spin from fairey is a sad attempt to keep his old school image intact.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 pm

ok, so I opened up the set that arrived tonight. The 3-d print is the drymounting fudge. No lie. :shock: :shock:
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.