Sonic Solutions Incorporated 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Chumley
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:27 pm

aahnutz wrote:
Catarax wrote:Peace Bomber has a set...
We can delete it. All the others too. Do you still want to argue or just leave things as they are now? :|
Since all the items being sold under the black/red edition listings are sets of all three, if there is no set option could they then be listed under all the editions instead of just the black/red?
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 pm

aahnutz wrote:
Catarax wrote:Peace Bomber has a set...
We can delete it. All the others too. Do you still want to argue or just leave things as they are now? :|
Argue? I could careless... I don't have a set... I was just trying to make sense... 8)
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
MJBuck
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:52 pm

out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:26 am

Mapman wrote:yea but all the Star War Burger King collectibles are JUNK only collectible to people who don't know better and THINK it's going to pay for their kids college fund in 20 years only to find out it has little to NO value only a few months later once the hype is gone.

Unless of course that is the comparison you are trying to make???
I think when most of the stuff you do is 'lifted' and then you work in the same boring colour palette, and then you have a t-shirt line, hoodies, etc... you're not really making 'art'. You're making a BRAND.

His brand is trying to reach out to the 'alternative' crowd. While some might not see the BS at first, people will. And as he continues to saturate the market with the same boring crap.

I equate his stuff to be more along the lines of avril lavigne or ashley simpson... comes out all "alternative" to britney spears and jessica simpson, but in the end is no different... its just a different angle. I don't think that in 20 years, many of these posters will be worth anything.

When you churn out poster after poster, all looking the same, with the same colours, and the same boring message, there's no point to it.

I mean i love that Muhammad Ali poster, but when I think: would I rather have that obey print? or would I rather have a nice photograph of him? I like it because its Muhammad Ali and not because its an 'obey original'.
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:04 am

Gotcha, makes more sense to me now! I agree with you by the way!
Catarax
Art Expert

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 pm

It seems to me that Fairey is trying to be original by using the original stencils from the past... He needs to put more effort into making new stencils not using old ones...
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Catarax wrote:It seems to me that Fairey is trying to be original by using the original stencils from the past... He needs to put more effort into making new stencils not using old ones...
Drawing ???? What about that ?
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:04 pm

i'm just so OVER him.
starkiller
EB Team

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 am

Set edition added
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 am

Did anyone ever stop and think that the only connection Fairey has to what is coming out of Obey is verbal and making ATM withdrawals of course? He has created a brand of sorts where others now create or clone older designs and color separations. It's an easy concept that actually got him going in the first place. Find an image and copy it with "trademark Obey" colors and throw something in to be different. Honestly, he is a genius and it just shows how lame the majority can be to me. I won't ever own an Obey print because I have a little bit of taste in art. He is a bit more like Pop culture now and I really have a hard time understanding how he got there being that his work is soooo boring.
acrylic1
Art Enthusiast

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 pm

I can definetely see a saturation!
ApfelGeld
Art Expert

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 pm

SSI Print
I met John Goff in 1997 while I was living in San Diego. He liked my work and offered to help me screen print. I was broke so I could not afford a drying rack for the prints. John would lay the prints out to dry on the floor He would never accept money, but only asked for posters(which were virtually worthless at the time) in return for his efforts. John was easy to work with because once he discovered we both liked the Melvins, he started bringing great records over. I got all the Kraftwerk albums from John and realized that he was really into electronic music. Now, 11 years later, John’s love of electronic music collides with me owing him a favor. John has an electronic music project with his brother Will called SSI (Sonic Solutions Incorporated) and asked me to design an SSI poster. You can check out and buy the posters here http://www.toyroomgallery.com/ssi.htm . John is also an audio whiz and has been helping me re-edit some songs to DJ with. He is also going to help me engineer a rock mix CD that I will release sometime in the fall.

-Shepard
http://obeygiant.com/post/ssi-print
sunsetbrew wrote:We are all hype machines, even though we don't want to be.
kingofprussia wrote:The power of EB. It never ceases to amaze me.
tourist504 wrote:Poster collectors, baby. A force with which to be reckoned!!!
jodeci78
Art Expert

Tue May 06, 2008 2:43 am

ApfelGeld wrote:
SSI Print
I met John Goff in 1997 while I was living in San Diego. He liked my work and offered to help me screen print. I was broke so I could not afford a drying rack for the prints. John would lay the prints out to dry on the floor He would never accept money, but only asked for posters(which were virtually worthless at the time) in return for his efforts. John was easy to work with because once he discovered we both liked the Melvins, he started bringing great records over. I got all the Kraftwerk albums from John and realized that he was really into electronic music. Now, 11 years later, John’s love of electronic music collides with me owing him a favor. John has an electronic music project with his brother Will called SSI (Sonic Solutions Incorporated) and asked me to design an SSI poster. You can check out and buy the posters here http://www.toyroomgallery.com/ssi.htm . John is also an audio whiz and has been helping me re-edit some songs to DJ with. He is also going to help me engineer a rock mix CD that I will release sometime in the fall.

-Shepard
http://obeygiant.com/post/ssi-print
thats a great story. where can I buy 5 sets now?
ApfelGeld
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2008 11:53 am

Got my shipping confirmation for the Red/Black today.
sunsetbrew wrote:We are all hype machines, even though we don't want to be.
kingofprussia wrote:The power of EB. It never ceases to amaze me.
tourist504 wrote:Poster collectors, baby. A force with which to be reckoned!!!
dangerboy
Flipper

Sun May 11, 2008 12:09 pm