Chambers Brothers Buffalo Springfield Portland 68

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 am

heckybrown
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm

It's very good to see that the wrong information surrounding this poster, long claimed to be a Buffalo Springfield poster from 1967, has at last been corrected.
A quick look at a 'perpetual calendar' has always proved that "Sunday, December 22" fell in 1968, not 1967.
We know that the original Buffalo Springfield played their last concert on May 5, 1968 in Long Beach, California - over 7 months before the date advertised on this poster.
Add to this the extreme unlikeliness that the Chambers Brothers and the Buddy Miles Express (even though both were fine groups) would have headlined over Buffalo Springfield during that era makes this dating error even harder to comprehend.
I believe that the explanation of why Buffalo Springfield appears on this poster is that, after the original Buffalo Springfield broke up, drummer Dewey Martin put together a "new" Buffalo Springfield to fulfill concert obligations that the band still had.
At some point thereafter, Neil Young and/or Stephen Stills legally put a stop to Dewey Martin's unauthorized use of the Buffalo Springfield name. I remember reading something about this long ago, though I don't recall the source.
So, whether the concert advertised on this poster actually occurred with an appearance of an "unauthorized" Buffalo Springfield is not known by me.
However, it IS KNOWN that that band WOULD NOT have included Neil Young, Stephen Stills or Richie Furay. I don't know about Bruce Palmer, though. Did he ever return from Canada after his deportation?