Obama Progress 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
alison03
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 am

I just saw this on the front page of Yahoo. :?
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 am

KNEEL13 wrote:AP alleges copyright infringement of Obama image:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/ap_ ... ama_poster
I just spoke to another attorney about this and we both agree that this lawsuit is frivolous
byc101
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 am

cadeallaw wrote:

I just spoke to another attorney about this and we both agree that this lawsuit is frivolous
I'm not an attorney. Why is it frivolous? And are you both copyright attorneys?
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 am

byc101 wrote:
cadeallaw wrote:

I'm not an attorney. Why is it frivolous? And are you both copyright attorneys?
I'm not a copyright attorney, but I took a few intellectual property classes in law school. I'm not sure this suit is necessarily frivolous, but I definitely don't think it's a winner. There are numerous defenses to the suit. I can't remember the exact legal name for the defense, but one is that the alleged copyright offender added or modified the original image in such a way so as to make it his/her own. Another, probably stronger, defense is the Fair Use Doctrine. There are four non-exclusive factors courts must look at when determining copyright violations. There are numerous appelate court cases that say which factors are to be given more weight. Those factors, logically, are the ones that take into account the financial effect on the origianl copyright holder, who the law is there to protect in the first place. Here, the copyright holder has not really been harmed at all. He wasn't going to go out and sell copies of this picture. Don't get me wrong, it's a good picture. But anyone who wanted it could have just gone and got it through Google (as Shep did). If anything, there is much more demand now for his original picture than there would have been had Shep not created this now iconic image. The photographer actually stands to make more money because of what Shep did.

My .02. I could go on but really don't feel like it. Thank god I'm not getting graded on this fudge anymore.
byc101
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for an explanation. I don't know much about copyright laws other than there are more than I know of.
Caballero
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 pm

What are people thinking on the long term valuation of the big and small versions of this one and why?

Both are selling within plus or minus a standard deviation or so of their 6 month average which means basically not much change in price in six months. Is this what they're worth, or is there some underlying trend I'm missing?
jamel-d
Art Freak

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Caballero wrote:What are people thinking on the long term valuation of the big and small versions of this one and why?

Both are selling within plus or minus a standard deviation or so of their 6 month average which means basically not much change in price in six months. Is this what they're worth, or is there some underlying trend I'm missing?
With the economy still in freefall, there will be less and less big money to spend. Getting $1000(sm)-3500 now might not be a bad thing. Just my opinion.
aahnutz
EB Team

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Caballero wrote:What are people thinking on the long term valuation of the big and small versions of this one and why?
I think it will always be worth at least the original sale price - 6 weeks, 6 months, or 6 years from now. I'm keeping mine. :)
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:52 pm

KNEEL13 wrote:Cool photo:

2009 Inauguration Photo - SUPER HI-DEF

Zoom in ('double-click' an area) ....and watch it focus.
Then zoom some more... and wait for focus.

This picture was taken with a robotic camera and weighs in at 1,474 megapixel. (295 times the standard 5 megapixel camera)
It was a Canon that pulled together over 200 individual shots.

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscree ... 2b4b06233c
this picture is so awesome.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm

jamel-d wrote:

With the economy still in freefall, there will be less and less big money to spend. Getting $1000(sm)-3500 now might not be a bad thing. Just my opinion.
I agree. Money now is worth more than possible money later on.

I think this print has reached over-exposure. The image is on tv, coffee mugs, t-shirts, mouse-pads, etc. There are websites that you can make your own image in the style of the progress/hope posters, etc. Its become a "fad". The image is just too out there.

Then there is the matter of Obama's popularity. Sure he's popular right now, but who knows what will happen a few years from now.

I'd take the money and run, especially in this economic climate.
dangerboy
Flipper

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:29 am

to those who may not yet know of the kellum228 scandal, if you bought or traded for a progress paster for him, or splitthesky, or from anyone in the last 6 months, please look at it carefully. below you will find pics of why i think the one i got from him is a fake.

from the curious thread:

god i am so PISSED OFF at myself for noticing this fudge earlier. looking at it now with a more critical eye, especially with a known legit campaign hope laying next to it, it's so easy to see that's it's a fake. here's some closeups. last two are the same little area at the top of the forehead from progress and hope. notice how sharp the ends of those little lines are on the hope...

morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
my2hands
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 am

really good job on the pics, makes the fake as clear as day
Caballero
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm

my2hands wrote:really good job on the pics, makes the fake as clear as day
:? Is it that the shadow lines on the fake are "fuzzy" and on the real they are crisp?
dangerboy
Flipper

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:14 pm

that's a big part, yes. pic number 2 is telling also, imho. those vertical lines seem odd and don't appear on my legit hope. the shadow lines are fuzzy and rounded off on the fake, plus there's little globs of dark blue that shouldn't be there. the bottom two pictures are the ones that make them easy to distinguish...
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
shades

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:58 am

can mods remove all the kellum progress pasters? (including the two bootleg pasters sold on ebay on 2/9 by splithesky)