Goonies 15 Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:51 pm

This is one busy ass print. Too many faces for my eye.
ImageT.K.C.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:09 pm

canuck wrote:If you can't secure a run of 700+ for a decent price outside the main drop you suck at this hobby.
lol or is that all the others suck at this hobby? people oft don't listen to reason on here, they are set in their ways
canuck
Art Freak

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm

mattkardish wrote:
canuck wrote:If you can't secure a run of 700+ for a decent price outside the main drop you suck at this hobby.
lol or is that all the others suck at this hobby? people oft don't listen to reason on here, they are set in their ways
I just took a :ziggi: hit and have no idea what you are talking about.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:34 pm

dropdoctor wrote:
mike123230 wrote:
kyler4444 wrote:That would be pretty cool.
Not it goddamn wouldn't.

jesus drymounting christ dude
:lol:
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 pm

jkw3000 wrote:They do, but some artists like working with certain printers - Horkey uses Burlesque and Ben LaFond there KILLS it on his work. Heck their instagram was all about overnighting the work they had to do to get Inclusion done. :P It's just a risk because it's doing the same art in different batches - they had Durieux's BTTF1 print done at a different place than 2 for his show in 2013, and while they did a fine job (I mean lord knows I like the print), it also ended up being a half inch larger than the others and 25 had a metallic ink misprint. :P
Damn, very interesting
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:38 pm

SnakeEyes75 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:They do, but some artists like working with certain printers - Horkey uses Burlesque and Ben LaFond there KILLS it on his work. Heck their instagram was all about overnighting the work they had to do to get Inclusion done. :P It's just a risk because it's doing the same art in different batches - they had Durieux's BTTF1 print done at a different place than 2 for his show in 2013, and while they did a fine job (I mean lord knows I like the print), it also ended up being a half inch larger than the others and 25 had a metallic ink misprint. :P
Damn, very interesting

There is a lot of good information in these threads, worth having a look around. Most new folk questions will be answered there:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=8

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:34 pm

More answers can be found at your local library!

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
NEWPORTS69
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:35 pm

if dis is an open edition then id buy one for everyroom in the house, including the sauna
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Why are people justifying the inability to print large runs???

It's pure laziness is what it is. It's today's generation. Never wanting to put 10 hour work days 6 days a week.
What's sad is people are okay with that. They let the printing company off the hook and act like its some miracle to print that much. I'll say it all day long.. There are hundreds of printers in this country dying for work. And I'd put money down most can do a better job than what they currently use. And wouldn't complain or say something couldn't be done. Who runs a business like that anyway?!? "It's to much work, I can't do it". At that point, just quit and do something else.

Jim Pollock linoleum block pressed 11,000 Coventry posters in just around 3 months time. End of July to end of September shipped. So saying a 10k run of screen prints can't be done is a joke.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:43 pm

I like the details, & I've been waiting for a Stout - Goonies print, but I wish he would have used his star wars, sleeping dogs, reservoir dogs type setup with the boxes on the top or bottom. I'm not sure what it is about the composition that bothers me.

It wasn't mentioned here but someone mentioned something in the Avengers thread that they felt like Stout drew up a bunch of vector art & just pushed it into the compilation. I kinda feel like he did the same thing here.

The biggest image in the print is the octopus, which if you are not a die hard Goonies fan you have no clue WTF that is doing there. Although I do like that he added it in.

I'm sure it will grow on me, & jpeg's don't ever do any print any justice. Just wish it wasn't going to be a Mondo drop, I hate em :hanging:

::Crosses fingers for lottery::
Common sense, is not that common
NEWPORTS69
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm

drymount the octopus, ive seen goonies more than any other movie and it's purely trivial, like the muchkin that hung self in oz, no one cares
NEWPORTS69
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 pm

NEWPORTS69 wrote:drymount the octopus, ive seen goonies more than any other movie and it's purely trivial, like the muchkin that hung self in oz, no one cares
hell the fratelli's jeep has more of a right to be there instead of that creature
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Ha- actually the octopus is one of my favorite parts about it, but I tend to prefer the absurd. Another highlight is smaller Feldman in front of larger Feldman being like, "hey, what's up". Ridiculous. Love it.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Whether you like it or not, open editions would be bad news for the hobby, imo. Mondo hasn't been successful by printing large editions. The screenprinting business is getting pretty saturated as it is- there's plenty of paper to be had out there, even if it's not a Stout or a Horkey. I mean, just look at GMA. I love almost everything they've put out, but their store has a ton of stock available. I honestly have no clue how sustainable the print business is (for a dealer) if you have that much stock available and continue to pump out more.

I honestly don't think Mondo (or screenprint sales in general) would be quite as popular as they are now without a healthy aftermarket (and the hype the comes with it). Without limited editions, there would be no aftermarket. It's already sort of heading in that direction (see again, GMA, HCG, BN, etc).

Also, licenses. It's the same old conversation :lol: I understand that new people pour into this hobby everyday but damn, it would be cool if people just did some reading instead of posting (see also, post-drop butthurt, bots, flippers, etc). Then again, I do enjoy reading most of that stuff, so... carry on. :pint:
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 am

Open editions are occasionally a good barometer. For example, Taylor's Fury Road showed the market could sustain 2,700 individual, informed demands for a popular license by a popular artist. And say, a quarter of those are in & out flippers (We'll get to their results later). Another quarter are portfolio hoarders or investors. They don't want to sell, yet. That leaves me, very generously, assuming that maybe almost half of us at least intend to hang it OR gift it. 1,300 framed and mounted sounds unlikely. The point is, that's not a mark against the art. It's just percentages. Like, how many LEGO R2-D2s are still waiting to be built?

You play below your demand. If you figure the people want 2700, then they'll realllly want 750. That creates a sustainable market, because 3/4 of the flippers, framers, and investors will miss this particular print. So, they'll have to try for the top quarter on the next one. Limited supply of each encourages collection of the whole. Selling collectibles is perhaps more psychological than financial, which of course fits the product.

Speaking of which: open editions have a habit of kicking flippers in the balls. This is a good thing, even for the flippers. Mondo says: Hey! You're creating a false demand! We thought these guys really liked that other Fudge, so we made ten more Fudges, and none of it sold! Stale Fudge! How many of you Fudgeheads are out there??
Flippers say: Dammit! Turns out 10,000 people aren't gonna pay me for this niche item, after all. It's so cool though, I'm gonna frame it. Now what do I do with the other 3? Next time, I'll just buy what I want maybe.
Collectors say: Dumbass I told you that already.

I know I'm not schooling any of you on the specifics of the art market. It's very interesting to me from a financial point of view, because a steady and limited market won't crash. Mondo will sell every copy of Goonies it has. They know this. So they know they will still be open tomorrow, and I know they will offer me something new very soon :)