Goonies 15 Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
PeePeeJones
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:13 pm

I can't remember off the top of my head. Someone had posted on Instagram that they talked to someone at Mondo, and the Mondo employee said the regulars would be an open edition. That's why I wanted to post it here - to see if anyone can back that up.

Oh well - I guess we'll learn soon enough if it is or isn't. Fingers crossed though.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm

planetexpress wrote:
dropdoctor wrote:I had goonies trading cards. The octopus was on one of them.
This. Plus the octopus is referenced in the Cyndi Lauper music video and other Goonies tie-ins from the time so most kids who saw the movie when it first came out would recognize it....

Trading Cards
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Music Video:
I'm glad the octopus is so prominent on the print - adds the the feeling that there was more to the adventure than what was on screen. I remember seeing or hearing about the octopus stuff back then, probably from kids that had these cards.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:18 pm

PeePeeJones wrote:I can't remember off the top of my head. Someone had posted on Instagram that they talked to someone at Mondo, and the Mondo employee said the regulars would be an open edition. That's why I wanted to post it here - to see if anyone can back that up.

Oh well - I guess we'll learn soon enough if it is or isn't. Fingers crossed though.
Ha, is that the sound of flippers screaming or am I just imagining things...? :P

I doubt it if only because Tyler says he's got some regs that he'll sell at some point, which would be amusing to see happen if the poster's still available somewhere else...that and I'd worry for the sanity of D&L's employees. :P
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:19 pm

kyler4444 wrote:That would be pretty cool.
Not it goddamn wouldn't.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 pm

PeePeeJones wrote:I read on Instagram that someone mentioned that the regulars would be an open edition. Can anyone confirm this?
That's what it should be - this is a 30 year old movie with a couple generations of fans, lot of people would want this thing
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm

SnakeEyes75 wrote:
PeePeeJones wrote:I read on Instagram that someone mentioned that the regulars would be an open edition. Can anyone confirm this?
That's what it should be - this is a 30 year old movie with a couple generations of fans, lot of people would want this thing
Go to Spencer's. Is that still a store? Hot Topic? Wherever the kids buy their posters these days.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 pm

It's a screenprint - making this an open edition of thousands isn't a matter of rarity (though that's something I know some folks value), it's also a matter of practicality. Anybody with a Moss TDKR timed edition can speak for how it's not easy to keep a handle on QC for print runs hitting the 9000s...
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

mike123230 wrote:
SnakeEyes75 wrote:
Go to Spencer's. Is that still a store? Hot Topic? Wherever the kids buy their posters these days.
Sorry am I ruining this for you? Yeah they should only make 10 of em you're right. Also, this is a poster for a kids movie
canuck
Art Freak

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:26 pm

If you can't secure a run of 700+ for a decent price outside the main drop you suck at this hobby.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:27 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
Kinda important who that "someone" is... :P
Yeah that's not happening. Dream big though
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 pm

jkw3000 wrote:It's a screenprint - making this an open edition of thousands isn't a matter of rarity (though that's something I know some folks value), it's also a matter of practicality. Anybody with a Moss TDKR timed edition can speak for how it's not easy to keep a handle on QC for print runs hitting the 9000s...
Did it really hit above 9000? Didn't think that movie was that popular. The Mad Max this summer was what 2750 or so? Either way, just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

SnakeEyes75 wrote:
mike123230 wrote:
SnakeEyes75 wrote:
Sorry am I ruining this for you? Yeah they should only make 10 of em you're right. Also, this is a poster for a kids movie
You're not ruining anything for me. Just saying why it won't happen. That plus the already-mentioned QC issues. But #dreambig.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 pm

SnakeEyes75 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:It's a screenprint - making this an open edition of thousands isn't a matter of rarity (though that's something I know some folks value), it's also a matter of practicality. Anybody with a Moss TDKR timed edition can speak for how it's not easy to keep a handle on QC for print runs hitting the 9000s...
Did it really hit above 9000? Didn't think that movie was that popular. The Mad Max this summer was what 2750 or so? Either way, just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point
Included a golden ticket (aka Moss does art for you of whatever you want). And yeah, hit over 9000.

The point isn't that it's not a nice thought, it's that the specific medium - screenprinting - is really built as a finite one. Reburned screens, remixing inks, it's not like doing a ton of lithos or giclees. Daniel Danger's one of the few guys who does open editions of stuff and he has to get those done in batches because they can't just print to order, and Stout would probably clock in pretty high on name alone. Even if they could get the sign off to do it (which I'd doubt because licensing is generally not friendly to this hobby), locking down a place like D&L to make them on command is not realistic since that'd screw D&L up with the rest of the stuff they have to print, and outsourcing that would be a whole other set of problems.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, there's just a reason why it's really, really hard to believe that rumor.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
SnakeEyes75 wrote:
Included a golden ticket (aka Moss does art for you of whatever you want). And yeah, hit over 9000.

The point isn't that it's not a nice thought, it's that the specific medium - screenprinting - is really built as a finite one. Reburned screens, remixing inks, it's not like doing a ton of lithos or giclees. Daniel Danger's one of the few guys who does open editions of stuff and he has to get those done in batches because they can't just print to order, and Stout would probably clock in pretty high on name alone. Even if they could get the sign off to do it, locking down a place like D&L to make them on command is not realistic since that'd screw D&L up with the rest of the stuff they want printed, and outsourcing that would be a whole other set of problems.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, there's just a reason why it's really, really hard to believe that rumor.
Nah no buzzkill. Interesting stuff, didn't know screenprinting was that time intensive, but now that I think about it, looking at the stuff I have, it would make sense. Seems like Mondo regularly uses D&L, they ever use others?
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:42 pm

They do, but some artists like working with certain printers - Horkey uses Burlesque and Ben LaFond there KILLS it on his work. Heck their instagram was all about overnighting the work they had to do to get Inclusion done. :P It's just a risk because it's doing the same art in different batches - they had Durieux's BTTF1 print done at a different place than 2 for his show in 2013, and while they did a fine job (I mean lord knows I like the print), it also ended up being a half inch larger than the others and 25 had a metallic ink misprint. :P